It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Untitled[PAN2014]

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
[non-writer] Warning: Might be graphic for some

Earlier this year. . .
Private computer screen, investment purchase by a shadowy figure: Buy 50,000 shares at $3.42 ERFPharm.
$171,000.00 Received, transaction complete.
Thank you for using our services.
Exit screen, computer goes blank.

Several days ago. . .
You look at the newspaper as you drink your morning coffee. Same old garbage headlines ‘Ebola Spreading through Africa’, ‘Terrorists Threaten Putin, Pope and Obama – We are Coming for You’, ’New Case of Ebola in Atlanta’, ‘Protest Against Justin Bieber’s Performance at Radio City’. You throw the paper down on the stack of old newspapers wondering why you still subscribe in this day and age. Finish coffee, off to work!

Madison Square Garden, present time. . .
You quietly sit by sipping watery beer and enjoy watching the New York Rangers destroy the Minnesota Wild as you begin to notice a slight headache coming on, near your temples. Looking around, you hear in the distant background the sound of a child crying, faint over the roar of passionate fans. As your attention turns to the ice once again your eyes start to blur and you feel an annoying scratchiness tugging at the back of your throat. Heartburn maybe? You unconsciously blame that hotdog you ate moments earlier, deciding some cold water will help if it worsens? You rise unsteadily from your seat spilling the half consumed beer on your lap splashing the man next to you. He gazes harshly at your actions. As you try to apologize they suddenly jump up and race ascending the long row of stairs leading to the concession area. You look behind, nothing. You turn your head back again but this causes you to stumble having to grab the seat next to you for support. You just can't make sense of what’s happening. An allergic reaction? Here? Now? During the middle of a hockey game in this large open air-conditioned place, impossible! You look over at some people and they all seem fine. Hold it together; they will think you’re flaking out! Just like another idiot drunk or drug addict that pushed their own limits too far, like most of us have experienced once or twice in our lifetimes or maybe not. You start to feel threatened by them, you’re losing control. Paranoia is taking hold with a fury. Your nose is stuffed up now, harder to breath. A sudden stab of pain in your gut hits you like a kick in the groin, then one last look toward those people. F*** it, you’re out of here! You head for the hall climbing the, what seems, endless stairs upward. Someone runs past you yelling knocking you into the seat of another. Legs feel like rubber, only a few more stairs as you wipe the sweat from your forehead. At the hall you notice people on the ground, some look as if they are convulsing, others are screaming. Off in the distance you see 2 people in hazmat uniforms running toward the now roaring stadium. A vise tightens under your chest; you fall to your knees. The pain is so great you let out a guttural howl, but no sound exits your dry, now torn throat. Looking around many are pushing their way out of the stadium area, running, screaming, crying. You’ve got to move, get up, get up, get the f*** up! You shout at yourself. Eventually you shove your way through toward the bathrooms being pushed spinning, staggering as nausea hits you! Harder to gain composure, you stare blankly across at a father carrying a young girl’s limp body. His face is showing all the fear, anguish, pain and helplessness of humanity in a mere instance. For that second time stands still as has happened before, when an image will remain forever with you. Finally, you made it to the bathroom. Fifteen stalls, some have people lying out of them on the floor, you make your way to the closest one as your head cracks against the floor. You raise your hand; you see the blood you’ve slipped on, it’s all over you. Crawling for the wall now, you vomit again, then lean back. Then another debilitating convulsion, a hot knife of pain, then an uncontrollable spasm as your bowels and bladder empty, soaking your already soaked clothes. What’s happened? Dazed and confused, you try to move your legs, they crumble. You’re gasping for air as your throat squeezes shut. You hear people screaming and crying for help from everywhere. Bodies of people in different stages of pain are mixed now with those lying on the floor. Your eyes start to shut, losing consciousness, that fuzzy black and white static starts to overcome your field of vision. You see a white glove and feel the faint pinch of a needle at your neck as you drift away.

Soon after on the news. . .
This is a Breaking Story from the React News Network. The thin, voluptuous, well dressed female reporter adjusts her ear piece as the camera centers in on her face. She speaks, “We have a breaking news story out of Manhattan occurring right now. Several locations including Madison Square Garden, the Museum of Natural History, Radio City Music Hall and unconfirmed subway locations have been targeted with what appears to be a terrorist attack. Reports are coming in as I speak of several hundred dead and this number is expected to get much higher. The mayor has issued a warning for all to remain where they are or seek shelter nearby immediately, as Fema and other Federal agencies try to gain control of this fluid situation. It appears they used a weaponized form of the Ebola Virus though we don’t have an official statement by the CDC as of yet. Please stay indoors. . . . . . .”

Later that night martial law is instituted for the tri-state area. . .

Soon after that, the president makes a brief statement. The usual pre-written rhetoric “Brought to Justice”, “Our Resolve”, “and Must Act”. . . . . . .

Sometime, day’s later. . .
You awake in a cold white room lying face up on a bed. A nurse runs over with a chart franticly checking off things with her pen. Too tired to move, you can’t speak; a doctor runs in and says here’s another one. The doctor barks commands at the nurse to run more blood tests, continue sedation and post 2 guards at the door never once acknowledging your presence. The nurse leaves as another doctor arrives, the two start a discussion. The doctors talk about an attack on LAX International that no one knew about at first. This attack coincided with the events in Manhattan except the strain used in LAX had a three week incubation period. The nurse returns with a syringe, your eyes close.

Two months after the attack. . .
This is a Breaking Story from the React News Network. The same thin, voluptuous, well dressed female reporter. She speaks again, “We have breaking news, the cure for ebola has been discovered and tested by the Ebola Research Foundation today. Reports are already coming in that this new revolutionary type of treatment will soon rid the world of this plague. After the terrorist attacks on the US and the global outbreak that ensued, the scientist who made this discovery is sure to win the Nobel Peace Prize. He has been invited to the White House by President Obama to speak tomorrow night along with many other world leaders. President Obama states we can all rest assure that the US government will make all attempts to see that everyone receives this expensive new cure.”

Future. . .
Private computer screen, investment review by a shadowy figure: 50,000 shares at $432.42 ERFPharm.
Your account has $21,621,000.00
Thank you for using our services.
Exit screen, computer goes blank.
edit on 9/4/2014 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: AnteBellum

A great story and love the investment twist!

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

This is a modern day twist of a story, based on a story, that was based on an article I read at least 20 years ago. I can't remember what it was all about back then but it wanted to be here today.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. . . . . porkchop! lol

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   

That was entertaining
I don't believe the [non-writer] bit. I agree with beezzer, liked the investment twist!

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   

I really enjoyed your story. It pissed me off. ......... well, the story didn't tick me off, but the realism of the situation, the disassociation of the voluptuous talking head, the sense of 'everything-is-fine-just-people-are-dying-go-back-to-your-sitcom'. Wonderfully visceral. Really good read.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Good story!
It was very bleak and alienating -and alienated -a great horror story. It's also really hard to write making the reader the hero/anti hero - you did it well!
S&F

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Disgust Realism.. I love it!
I almost threw up here.. all those human secretions on the floor, on the wall.. "swimming " in them.. made a trick. I am sure this is not a story this is reality ! Pls do not sneeze on your screen ! Thank you

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   

This is Very Good!!! The Shadowy Figure Investment adds that little touch of Creative Realism that enhanced the Story!

And unless I missed it at Your Profile, This is Your First, and maybe only Story?!

If so, Please do more as I would Love to Read More from You!!!

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: SyxPak

It is the first.
I started as a visual artist and never made the leap. With such encouraging words maybe it's time I start a new hobby!
Thank you for the support.

AB

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
This was really good, AnteBellum - your POV was fresh and the "hidden hand of the market" take was brilliant!

Glad you made the leap to writing!

- AB

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

Hi, haven't seen you in a while!
Glad you liked it.

Debating as to what's next though, my kids suck the creativity right out of me at times. . .

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Man, I know what you mean re: kids and creativity!! Same boat here...

I haven't been around much...adjusting to some big RL issues all at once, and it's left me with little time at the end of the day, but I saw the writing challenge and had a moment of inspiration in the midst of everything. Hopefully things will smooth out and I'll be able to get here more often - I hate what I miss when I am away.

Good to see you!

- (the other) AB

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   

A very vivid tale of the story plot you laid out. I like how you tied it all back together in the end. It all came Full Circle at the end while providing a wide range of twists, and vivid imagery, what would stick with me the most would be the head hitting the ground. I could just hear that sound of a human skull thumping off the ground when hitting hard. Almost makes me wanna *Shudder*

I really like the story over all, and the way you write.

I would love to RP with you! You write and seem like someone that would be a good story teller, or make a fun character to game with in a role play session. We are facing a home brew Oinodaemon (Anthraxus).

You have earned my

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Wow I really lived that story. It totally sucked me up

top topics

join