It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a question for all "Hispanics" out there

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: BerenstEiner
I'm from the 505. Born and raised.

I used to be in the 505, now in the 575.

Then you should know that some of the First Families (i belong to one of them) pride themselves for being of Spanish decent and get offended if you call them Mexicans.

Yeah, I don't assume that brown people are from Mexico, either.

I think that since those families have been in New Mexico since the 1600s, they feel like they still have not been allowed to be assimilated. And catigorized with brand new people from Mexico and now Cubans is just wrong.

I'm not crazy about assimilation, myself. I LOVE the cultures, colors, foods, art and the differences of the people here, regardless where they're from or how long they've been here. I really try to avoid categorizing people.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

I'm from the 505. Born and raised.

I used to be in the 505, now in the 575.

Then you should know that some of the First Families (i belong to one of them) pride themselves for being of Spanish decent and get offended if you call them Mexicans.

Yeah, I don't assume that brown people are from Mexico, either.

I think that since those families have been in New Mexico since the 1600s, they feel like they still have not been allowed to be assimilated. And catigorized with brand new people from Mexico and now Cubans is just wrong.

I'm not crazy about assimilation, myself. I LOVE the cultures, colors, foods, art and the differences of the people here, regardless where they're from or how long they've been here. I really try to avoid categorizing people.

Like I said, those families pride themselves of their specific culture. They are not the same as Mexicans, Cubans, Puerto Ricans, Colombians, Dominicans...but yet, they are "classified" as the same thing.

EDIT..

Ok, maybe what I'm trying to get at is..

Why are some white people being grouped with brown people and brown people with black people and black people with white people?

edit on 31-8-2014 by BerenstEiner because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Ok, maybe what I'm trying to get at is..

Why are some white people being grouped with brown people and brown people with black people and black people with white people?

There are many races of people who are Hispanic, Latino and even Mexican. None of those are races. Just like "European" and "American" are not races. They're ethnic groups.

I found this to be an interesting article: How Many Major Races are There in the World?

All races share 99.99+% of the same genetic materials which means that division of race is largely subjective, and that the original 3-5 races were also probably just subjective descriptions as well.
Most anthropologists recognize 3 or 4 basic races of man in existence today. These races can be further subdivided into as many as 30 subgroups.

The world population can be divided into 4 major races, namely white/Caucasian, Mongoloid/Asian, Negroid/Black, and Australoid. This is based on a racial classification made by Carleton S. Coon in 1962. There is no universally accepted classification for “race”, however, and its use has been under fire over the last few decades. The United Nations, in a 1950 statement, opted to “drop the term ‘race’ altogether and speak of “ethnic groups”. In this case, there are more than 5,000 ethnic groups in the world, according to a 1998 study published in the Scientific American.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: BerenstEiner

"That word to me is like the N-Word."

Oh, I believe it. When they call you Hispanic you feel that your manhood has been threatened.

Yes! The "H" world is clearly as insulting and degrading as the "N" word.

Seriously though, what ever point you had went out the window when you made this ridiculous statement.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Diderot

Just curious...
Are you Hispanic?

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
505 tribe here as well....

Hispanics almost never call themselves Hispanics....

Latino's occasionally but Chicano is the preferd term even among older Hispanics.

Even the Spanish I learned has become so idiomatic into Spanglish and obscure Spanish slang influenced by many counter cultures in the Hispanic community that I find I can communicate in Mexico and Spain but not in Texas or 505.

Calo a type of Spanish...is unpenetrable as cockney slang and mutates as fast as ghetto rap or surfer slang.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

"Just curious...
Are you Hispanic?"

No, I am your typical white bread Anglo-male.
I have had the luxury of knowing that any affront to my dignity that I have suffered
is not because of the whiteness of my skin.
Doors have not been slammed shut because of my culture.

I respect those who show dignity and strength in the face of bigotry.
That's the least I can do.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join