It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

X Factor judge Redfoo glassed at Sydney hotel

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fargoth
a reply to: Dingo80
I never knew throwing a glass at someone was a "thing".

It's not...........yet.

Despite efforts by those that would try to establish it as such.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dingo80
"Glassings" and "King Hits" or "Coward Punches" have become all to common in Australia over the past few years, the youth is out of control.

Crime in general in Australia has been on the decline, and I suspect there might be a strong reason why media outlets keep referring to 1996 regarding the 'soaring' assault numbers - it was just before the country actually did something about it!

Australia has increased police and security presences within trouble spots, and has been cracking down harder on drunken brawlers after the repeated media coverage ten years ago. As a society, Australia has significantly lowered their tolerance for assault also. Australian police no longer tolerate the 'it was just a bar fight' excuse.

There are a number of factors for this type of thing:
* If you 'target' a crime it can increase instances of that crime from increased reporting / arrests / police recording and reporting when previously it would have just been a cooling off in a cell (Especially prevalent in the five years after 1996 when the crack downs began ... also where the biggest increase is)
* The 'rolling' demography of the population factor in strongly ... for example large generations coming of age and immigration policies which attract younger people will increase the rate of assaults
* The media aren't going to report 'demography increases assault temporarily, nothing to worry about' and the police always like funding ... its in no one's interest to imply the problem is going away

I'm not saying that numbers haven't been increasing or there certainly isn't a problem ... but the statistics aren't clear enough to say we're suffering from a huge epidemic of violence, and keep in mind the media in Australia at one stage ran campaigns to stop epidemics of irresponsible cyclists. I've never walked to work past the strewn corpses of bmx bandits.

On a side note, don't most assaults happen in homes? Like 40% or something alone those lines?

<< 1   >>

join