It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We now have secondary contact cases of Ebola in Nigeria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Not surprising really considering this Sawyer guy urinated on healthcare workers in some kind of rage after refusing he had Ebola, and denying contact with any Ebola victim, even though he knew good and well his sister DIED of it!! And this guy was some kind of health official even!

www.nytimes.com...

These new victims presumably contacted the disease form their partners BEFORE they were showing symptoms, so it may be that the disease can now be spread from asymptomatic victims.

The particularly scary part is the disease was brought to Nigeria by someone who managed to be unusually mobile, so we may be dealing with a strain that doesn't debilitate people quickly enough to stop them from traveling and spreading it MUCH further.

Almost 5,000 infections already and over 80% mortality rate in Africa.

I'm really worried about the cases in New Mexico and CA now with who the people may have contacted before going to the hospital.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 05:17 AM
link   
a reply to: 8675309jenny

Nature wants what it wants. No amount of medicine and research can defeat her. She always finds a way around it.

We have an overpopulation problem in the world, and she is just redressing the balance.

I stopped worrying about pandemics a long long time ago. She can be diverted, but not defeated.

edit on 23-8-2014 by Briles1207 because: add

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 06:40 AM
link   

It could always be spread when a patient is asymptomatic.
It can also spread through semen up to 3 months after recovery.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   
After being on ATS and seeing a thread on Ebola that rationally and calmly showed graphs of the spread of Ebola and the true threat it is to the world, my eyes have been opened.

I went to the movies last night, something I don't often do. (See the movies thread if you want to know more about what I saw)

There was a lady coughing and hacking and sneezing her way through the movie, she was 5 aisles in front of me. I was thinking about how one poster on another thread said we'd be saying "run!" instead of "bless you" to a sneezer once Ebola lands where I live, and actually had a tiny (I know it was absurd) urge to run.

The theater had converted to self service drink machines. I thought of all the wet fingers who touched the buttons getting their own sodas and how that would be a great mechanism for spreading disease. (Taste your popcorn, pop your fingers in your mouth to clean off the salt and grease, before punching the buttons for soda)

Then I got a self service lid that is stuck to other lids, I have always seen those as dedicated germ factories, don't know who has touched them putting them in, or how many fell on the floor just to be picked up and put in etc, not to mention the wet finger crowd, or the person who just left the bathroom and didn't wash their hands struggling with several lids to get one off.

Then I went to the restroom and noted that the door could only be opened by pulling and exited by pushing. I used the bottom of my shirt to open it and a paper towel to push my way out.

I know there will be people who will say, I'm being crazy, but I did catch a nearly fatal disease on an airplane a little over a year ago from a coughing and sneezing child from a third world country whose family was across the aisle from me and KNEW how sick he was and tried to hide it from airline employees (I have mentioned the details in other threads so won't bore you here). I spent a week in the hospital and nearly 3 months total bedridden or sitting in a recliner I was so ill from it.

Watching each new news report and new thread on how Ebola has spread to this or that country or is suspected to have now occurred in this or that region of the world, has changed me, along with my personal experience of catching a nearly fatal disease from a third world country right here in the US on an airplane.

My point? The media and I fear my government is not taking this threat seriously which can be far more fatal and far more dangerous to the world than the Islamic State IS.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Ebola and diseases like it are nothing to fool around with,they need to be dealt with aggressively to prevent spreading.
Nothing should be off the table in terms of dealing with it,including mandatory quarantines and strict travel restrictions.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I've said it once and I'll say it again: ONE WORD: Contagion.

See it, study it, and compare it to every known epidemic we know the US has its hand in, like AIDS, like Tuskeegee.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Yes, secondary cases like this one:

A pregnant woman who went for her usual check up at the First Consultant Hospital Obalande – same hospital that Patrick Sawyer was admitted – tested positive of the virus on Friday. She got infected after being treated by the same nurse, Obi Justina Ejelonu, who attended to the Liberian carrier, Patrick Sawyer.

Recall that two nurses came in direct contact with Mr. Sawyer and one of them died last week – the other nurse, Justina is still alive. The pregnant woman has since been quarantined at the mainland hospital where there is an isolation emergency centre for Ebola virus victims.

source

From this post I made 11days ago now.

We are told time and again how our isn't airborne AND how it is only transmissible when a patient is symptomatic.

If either of those two have changed, we are in for a lot of trouble...

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   

movie, she was 5 aisles in front of me. I was thinking about how one poster on another thread said we'd be saying "run!" instead of "bless you" to a sneezer once Ebola lands where I live, and actually had a tiny (I know it was absurd) urge to run.

That isn't absurd, that's your natural instinct, and it is probably correct. That happened to me on a bus, and I didn't run, instead I ended up with a three month lung infection. Your natural instinct is more in touch with your immune system and basic senses that your logic and self control.

The theater had converted to self service drink machines. I thought of all the wet fingers who touched the buttons getting their own sodas and how that would be a great mechanism for spreading disease. (Taste your popcorn, pop your fingers in your mouth to clean off the salt and grease, before punching the buttons for soda)

That's happened in the UK. Someone had norovirus, went through the airport, and the whole country got that infection. It's been proved that door handles can spread infection.

new topics

top topics

join