It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"I’m a cop. If you don’t want to get hurt, don’t challenge me."

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+53 more 
posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I wanted to share this article from the Washington post by Sunil Dutta, a professor of homeland security at Colorado Tech University, and has been an officer with the Los Angeles Police Department for 17 years.

In the article he tries to explain why It’s not the police, but the people they stop, who can prevent a detention from turning into a tragedy.

It really just shows the attitude law enforcement has and how they think they are our freaking masters. A lot of idiot gems in the article but this stands out the most.

Even though it might sound harsh and impolitic, here is the bottom line: if you don’t want to get shot, tased, pepper-sprayed, struck with a baton or thrown to the ground, just do what I tell you. Don’t argue with me, don’t call me names, don’t tell me that I can’t stop you, don’t say I’m a racist pig, don’t threaten that you’ll sue me and take away my badge. Don’t scream at me that you pay my salary, and don’t even think of aggressively walking towards me. Most field stops are complete in minutes. How difficult is it to cooperate for that long?

link to washington post article

Wow if you don't want to get shot or tased just do what I tell you. I don't even know how to respond to that bs.

So as luck would have it there is another article that responds to it better than I ever could so I will share that here as well.

Warning some adult language in this article but it is used well lol.

To the Cop Who Told Me Not to Resist: Go F@#k Yourself

Dear Sunil Dutta,

Let’s start at the top, shall we? Go # yourself.

Your finger-wagging, condescending bull# op-ed in The Washington Post is the epitome of why so many people don’t trust and/or like their local police force. Let me see, Mr. Dutta, if I can summarize the thrust of your idiotic “I’m a cop. If you don’t want to get hurt, don’t challenge me” piece.

“Boo hoo! I’ve been cursed at. Don’t curse at me because I’m not a bad cop. Even though I’m given a deadly weapon and several non-lethal forms of hurting you, I’m the one who needs protecting from those mean ol’ cuss words. Oh, and also, I’ll totally # your # up if you don’t treat me like your master. Because I’m not a bad cop.”

It’s your job, Mr. Dutta, to protect and serve us.

Look I don’t want to be “that guy,” but we do actually pay your goddamned salary. I know you probably have heard that time and again from, as you put it, “belligerent” people, but I don’t care. It’s the truth. I deal in truth. You may deal in anecdotal condescension. I don’t. So yes, suck it up, sir. You are an employee of the very same people you’re telling need to just “sit down, sit back and shut up.” If you don’t believe we pay your salaries and that we deserve your respect for that fact, let’s see what happens if we start voting for people who agree with us, and start burning your military toys budget to the ground. Let’s see what happens when people who agree with me get elected to office and clean-#ing-house, sir.
- See more at: www.politicalgarbagechute.com.../#sthash.1FyFVRid.dpuf

Now that is a proper response IMO.
www.politicalgarbagechute.com.../

edit on 20-8-2014 by alienjuggalo because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-8-2014 by _BoneZ_ because: added quotation marks to title

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 01:20 AM
link   
So. It is the public that require LEO situation training. How sad.
ETA: If that man if a LEO in DC he won't be an issue long, they'll shoot him.
edit on 20-8-2014 by Iamthatbish because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-8-2014 by Iamthatbish because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 01:21 AM
link   
This cop needs his daily donut.

+9 more 
posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I've found generally in life, it's not a good idea to challenge or insult psychopaths, sociopaths, people who carry guns, mace, tasers, handcuffs, or who generally have stressful jobs or a stressful life situation.

Put two of those people in contact with each other for more than 20 seconds, and we've seen the results...

+19 more 
posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 01:31 AM
link   
a reply to: deloprator20000
The Washington Post was not his target audience. That's not going to go over well. There were streets in DC the police would not go a few years ago. Running that article was pure stupity.

Now the second article reached me. What I enjoyed the most was not only his use in curse words but, his pointing out how LEOs whine about them entirely too much.

I didn't pick a dangerous job, don't come whinning to me that you did and it made you a jerk due to the stress. If you don't like it, go do hair. I hear the training is great.

+11 more 
posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 01:36 AM
link   
The Boiled Frog

They say that if you put a frog into a pot of boiling water,
it will leap out right away to escape the danger.
But, if you put a frog in a kettle that is filled with water that is cool and pleasant,
and then you gradually heat the kettle until it starts boiling,
the frog will not become aware of the threat until it is too late.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

George Orwell

edit on Wed2782201480 by Dingo80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 01:37 AM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

I think the article quite well illustrates the culture of modern American law enforcement personnel. Although I strongly disagree with Dutta's cavalier, egotistical rant, his advice is good advice--provided one wants to walk away from most encounters with the police. That said, a career in law enforcement seems to come complete with assumption of moral high ground, and a front line mentality comparable to that of members of an occupying army.

While the rebuttal letter is admirable for its effort, whether on not we pay police their salaries and for their gear, they're still authorized to use it on us and that above all else is what we need to remember during most any encounter with the boys in (black these days) blue.

+12 more 
posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 01:40 AM
link   
That's not good enough. I don't want good advice on dealing with a bad situation. I want the people trained to work with the public to have better training on the public as we actually exist or desk them all.

a reply to: AphoticJoe

+6 more 
posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   

I stop you because your tail light is out. I'm not even going to give you a ticket, merely let you know the light is out.

If you get all crazy and aggressive because I stopped you for what I thought was protecting you. I'm going to react too.

If you deny me basic data to make sure you own the vehicle, are legally aloud to drive, and aren't a threat to myself or anyone else and you act aggressively and refuse to comply of course I'm going to deal with the situation accordingly.

Put yourself in the officers shoes... Yes some act out irresponsibly and hastily, but you can make their lives and jobs easier as much as they can make your 5 minute interaction with them easier.

Seriously, just co-operate.

Me and my brother are polar opposites in this sense. I've had one ticket, been pulled over countless times because the office was doing his job. The longest I ever spent with an officer was 15 minutes and I talked to him, co-operated and we both wished each other a safe evening and went on our way.

MY BROTHER ! who doesn't #ing co-operate ever, has countless tickets, not because of his actions before he pulled over but after, he's been pepper sprayed, cuffed, arrested, tazered and it's always been his #ing fault. HE could have avoided each and every one of those actions, but HE was the idiot not the cop.

Don't make an individual who puts their life in possible harms way every single day make them think you might be the guy to harm them.

+11 more 
posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 02:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Hijinx

I don't even think it is possible to be pulled over countless times and only have one ticket. Well unless you are a hot girl.

I have been pulled over a lot lol and I have been given a few warnings but I have been given a lot more tickets then warnings.

Tickets for tinted windows $140

Tickets for brake lights and head lights, and twice for the damn license plate light. I never yell or get pissed at the cop and I still get the ticket 90% of the time .

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 02:18 AM
link   

are you familiar with this experiment ?

psych.answers.com...

Milgram presented views on why the participants did what they did and they are as follows: The physical presence of an authority figure dramatically increased compliance. The fact that the study was sponsored by Yale led many participants to believe that the experiment must be safe. The selection of teacher and learner status seemed random. Participants assumed that the experimenter was a competent expert. The shocks were said to be painful, not dangerous. By Milgram conducting this experiment, he proved to the world that people sometimes do unconventional things when an authority figure is giving the commands. Many of the men in this experiment claimed that what they did was uncharacteristic behavior for them. Some of them couldn't explain why they did it. One fact remains true, you never can tell what you might do if a figure of authority prompts you, especially under a high stress situation where you may feel your own safety is at risk.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 02:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: alienjuggalo

Wow if you don't want to get shot or tased just do what I tell you. I don't even know how to respond to that bs.

The responce is very simple ... criminals should arm themselves.

If the cops want a firefight, give it to them ... you already heard what they said. If you don't want a firefight, keep out of their way and run as fast as you can at the sight of them. If they're close, shut your mouth and bend over ... or make sure your armed to the teeth, with body armor, grenades and armor piercing bullets. Otherwise, you'll get two in the head.

edit on 20/8/2014 by bjarneorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 02:27 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Nope I had not heard of that.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: bjarneorn

The responce is very simple ... criminals should arm themselves, and shoot the cops ... two in the chest, and one in the head.

If the cops want a firefight, give it to them ...

While Im all for arming yourself, please nobody shoot at the cops. That will always end badly.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 02:32 AM
link   
If pulled over in the car you should provide license details, nationality, address and date of birth.
Anything else and you will be consenting to the long arm,
Explain that you dont consent to anything else (searches). If the "officer" takes attitude thats his problem.
do not leave your car and speak through a gap in the window.

I totally disagree with rolling over to the pigs In costume and all of you who do... or encourage others to
are just making life more difficult for others and giving away your own freedom at the same time.

We as a people are allowing bullies in costume to beat us and our children, use chemical weapons on us "cs gas" and
they get away with it all even if you are INNOCENT.

My own sister was arrested for asking them not to hurt her partner, she was released without charge after 8 hours in a cell.

neither myself or anyone else mentioned in this post are criminals nor have a record. Well except from the legal criminals of course.

know your rights, be polite and BE STRONG

The word wind ow became a _????? (Speak through a gap in the w I n d o w)
edit on 08342014-08-20T02:34:53-05:0002amAmerica/ChicagoWednesday by michael1888 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Give the cops a basic law quiz, please?
Ask them if they can name any amendments in the bill of rights.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 02:39 AM
link   

there has been of few of these types of experiments over the years and the result is almost the same each time...put someone in a position of authority and they will look down on those under their control

and more to the point abuse those under their control

edit on 20-8-2014 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: bjarneorn

The responce is very simple ... criminals should arm themselves, and shoot the cops ... two in the chest, and one in the head.

If the cops want a firefight, give it to them ...

While Im all for arming yourself, please nobody shoot at the cops. That will always end badly.

And don't ever show them your sandwich wrapped in tin foil.
A sandwich wrapped in tin foil is easily mistaken for an M4.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 02:48 AM
link   
This is why I am a big fan of gadgets such as Google glass though at current prices they are not on my buying list, however like all technology it will become more common and less expensive with time.

It has the capability to record to a cloud server which cops can't get into without your password so for us law abiding folk that have no problem recording their daily activities a cop abusing his power/authority or strait up breaking it will be caught in the act more often. They should be mandated to record their activities and some are but we all know how they can lose such things/technical difficulties and all.

Anyway know your rights.

What are my rights at various “checkpoints”?

Also

When can police ask for ID?

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 03:03 AM
link   

This doesn't surprise me at all

when they hire cops now a days, they make sure they are stupid and tough and arrogant

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join