It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gov. Jay Nixon signs exec. order to send Missouri National Guard to Ferguson

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I wonder if this will get big enough too spill over to other areas. I don't think they're really getting a handle on it, if they even really want to.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: ObjectZero

The next time a cop shoots someone who is unarmed we might find out. Should not be a long wait.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Very good point. We know that many of our returning veterans are fatigued by 10+ years of war, some have PTSD. How will they handle being on the streets in their own country?

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
So this is the latest from Gaza, er Ferguson?

Maybe they should consider airstrikes to eliminate the terrorists hiding themselves among the innocent people?

God, I hope they find a way to peacefully end this madness soon....

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

I have a feeling this is not going to go well. At this point in time, these are the wrong people to act as police, IMO. Guess we will find out. Hope it's not a hard lesson.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
a reply to: Mikeultra

I don't fully understand the details but supposedly(?) it's a communist organization. I'm sure someone will come along and provide more info.

Ikonoklast in another thread did a fantastic job of outlining this possible connection. If anyone remembers or has read the history of some of the protests of the 60s, the name of the Weathermen will be very familiar. Link to Ikonoklast's post

I think it is as least worthy of consideration. I've read on several other threads on ATS that the possibility of the New Black Panther group being involved, but who really knows for sure. I would love to see a more indepth investigation into either of these 2 groups having a hand in this.
edit on 18-8-2014 by MyMindIsMyOwn because: spelling

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Ya we needed an Andy Griffith to deal with the matter and we got Sledge Hammer instead.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   

July 19, 2009 Gov Jay Nixon stands with Missourians serving with the 1st Air Cavalry Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division in Iraq. In his role as Commander in Chief of the Missouri National Guard, Gov. Nixon visited troops stationed in both Iraq and Afghanistan during a recent overseas trip.

Link

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Thefarmer

Watching the last week unfold has been a shocking experience. One of the things that has stood out is the police's inability to have a proportional response to the "few" in crowds of otherwise peaceful protestors.

Police face "bad elements" on every street in America, everyday. Their chosen profession is to police those elements. That is not what we are seeing in Ferguson. Police have inflamed injustice and violence with their indiscriminate all out assault on everyone...literally everyone. That is not policing.

The other very telling sign of the police rampant incompetence is how they continue to threaten and aim loaded weapons at media and peacefully assembled people. And firing upon them. Everyone knows you do not aim a weapon unless you plan to shoot. The media is the watchdog and they have been treated like animals, as have peaceful protestors.

The arrest of two reporters from the Washington Post and Huffington Post on Wednesday, as well as the tear gassing of an Al Jazeera news crew, generated a tremendous amount of negative publicity for police in Ferguson, Missouri, and it seemed, briefly, that authorities there had concluded that cooperating with the media was a smarter tactic. However, on Sunday night tensions flared again between cops and reporters. Just before 11 p.m. three journalists reported on Twitter that they had been handcuffed and detained by police. Others said cops were threatening to mace them, and then on a livestream with more than 45,000 viewers, an officer was caught on tape yelling at a reporter, "Get the # out of here. You get that light off, or you're getting shot with this."

source

This community has much to protest, especially the violence demonstrated by those who claim authority. They clearly do not have the skills to weed out a small criminal element and prefer an approach of denying rights and using force against all.

This community would have been much safer and protected their own if the occupying army (police) had withdrawn completely. The police have been the blanket aggressors in these instances and should be relieved of their duties. People have lost their rights and I firmly believe this could have been avoided if the police had handled this correctly.

Whether the National Guard will make this worse, we will find out. I can't help feeling that the decisions by authorities that brought us to this precipice, were planned. Police action against all instead of the few insured we would end up where we have. For me at least, that is a big question.

News conference on the family autopsy on now with calls for the officer's arrest.

edit on 18-8-2014 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   

I think I remember reading an article just like that for the MN National Guard, so I don't think that issue is specific to Missouri. Sounds like a bunch of money was made available to up recruitment numbers, and basically full-time recruiters made bank when they were more trying to get people to sign their friends up.

I'm not supportive of the idea of sending in the National Guard. It's just more escalation and concentration of power, as people were saying earlier.

That said, I think it's going to work. Guardsmen are living as civilians 85% of the time and people know that. They're not full time soldiers, they have jobs and lives outside of their military ones. Furthermore, a lot of these guys being sent out there could be veterans of wars in the ME, and no one wants to screw with a veteran.

I talked a bit to a friend of mine in the NG, and he said that here, there are units assigned to riot control. If it's the same in Missouri, the unit(s) being sent may have better training than the local and state police.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: WhiteAlice

The National Guard is being sent to Ferguson, MO. When was the last time this happened for a protest?

Really?

This isn't being done because of a simple protest.

Why do you, and others, continue to ignore the crime spree that is going on after dark in Ferguson? How many businesses have been looted? How many buildings have been started on fire? How many people have been shot by these "peaceful protestors"?

How can anyone just turn a blind eye to all of that and claim that the National Guard is being sent in for a "protest"???

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: DancedWithWolves

This community would have been much safer and protected their own if the occupying army (police) had withdrawn completely.

That is an insane (or at least naive) statement. If that were so then why didn't/don't the community police themselves when strong arm burglaries happen? Or when the young people kill each other on such a regular basis that it is just "another day in the 'hood"?

Police can't completely withdraw...if they did that every business would be ashes by now and the police would be at fault for not doing their job.

Dangerous neighborhoods are dangerous because of the people who live there not because of the police who are trying to do their job and be alive at the end of their shift.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: kruphix

Let's not pretend that the whole city is burning here.

Yes, some property damage has occurred. And no, I don't think that's okay, in fact it's really stupid because private business owners are being hurt rather than the actual targets. They should try to burn down the police station or city hall or something if they want to burn something.

That said, small to intermediate rioting resulting in fires and damage to vehicles is not uncommon. Here in MN, college kids and adults periodically riot, setting fires and damaging vehicles. Their cause? Hockey games. The National Guard has never been deployed to deal with it.
edit on 18-8-2014 by TheBlackTiger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
Chris King editorial director of St Louis American told CNN that Nixon's executive order for the Guard was written with "broad power and vague objectives."

He mentioned the outside groups, Chicago specifically. Said a woman complained to Nixon at a presser on Thursday about the outside elements but was dismissed.

King, who is white BTW, said that last night's protest was completely peaceful until police escalated it.

If the people in the community are concerned about the outside elements causing trouble...then do something about it.

Organize a large peaceful protest at night somewhere away from where all this trouble is happening...have it in a church or a park that isn't near any businesses.

Then tell the cops, all of us from the community are over here...all the other people out on the streets are not with us to protest peacefully....take care of them.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: WhiteAlice

I noticed those outsiders, they are making matters much worse

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
From obs-onthemove,org

There are 52 police and only 5 are Black. That’s 6% Black representation.

Actually it's almost 10%. Someone should have stayed in junior high another year or two.

I think it was a typo, it is 6% if these numbers from the NYT are true:

Although about two-thirds of Ferguson residents are black, its mayor and five of its six City Council members are white. Only three of the town’s 53 police officers are black.

edit on 10Mon, 18 Aug 2014 10:42:11 -0500America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago8 by Greven because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: kruphix
Why do you, and others, continue to ignore the crime spree that is going on after dark in Ferguson? How many businesses have been looted? How many buildings have been started on fire? How many people have been shot by these "peaceful protestors"?

Okay, I'll bite.

How many were there?

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
They asked for the militia, and they got their democrats militia. There ya go. Quit complaining.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheBlackTiger

Let's not pretend that the whole city is burning here.

Yes, some property damage has occurred. And no, I don't think that's okay, in fact it's really stupid because private business owners are being hurt rather than the actual targets. They should try to burn down the police station or city hall or something if they want to burn something.

That said, small to intermediate rioting resulting in fires and damage to vehicles is not uncommon. Here in MN, college kids and adults periodically riot, setting fires and damaging vehicles. Their cause? Hockey games. The National Guard has never been deployed to deal with it.

property damage to small business owners...LEO's are protecting the corporate businesses...their base command post was in a mall with large corporate stores....and again, the police arrested news crew members. last night I saw where the LEO's deliberately wouldn't allow reporters to actually film or see what was taken place...they kept them sequestered out of range. they are going to keep bashing heads, they just don't want the media to see it. bad PR for the last couple of days, so they probably have been ordered to keep it out of sight.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   

7 Killed, 29 Wounded in Spate of Weekend Chicago Violence

That is the standard Monday morning headline from NBC Chicago today.

Do you suggest we send the guard in there too? And everywhere a criminal element exists?

The criminal element gets the anarchy they crave when you gas and shoot rubber bullets and create chaos on the streets through police action that was not targeted towards a criminal action but a population as a whole. No riots were happening until police started one last night.

Every city has a police action blotter daily. That doesn't mean it needs military caliber action to quell it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join