It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shark Week! It's Coming ...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Shark Week is always my favorite time of year on Discover although it's gotten campier recently (I blame you Sharknado ...).

But to get you in the mood, I found this footage of REMUS sharkcam.

Discovery News featured an edited compilation of these interactions with great whites made by researchers from the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute (WHOI). The video shows curious sharks swimming around the camera and occasionally attacking it and seeming somewhat confused when their prey isn’t immediately crushed between their powerful jaws.

Great Whites are fascinating creatures to me, and watching this view of them engaging in their predatory sneak attack behavior from behind and below is sort of fun. KUDOs to the person who made that REMUS tough enough to take the beating.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Ever since last years shark week fiasco I have been skeptical of discovery channels content but will still be checking it out. This year will make or break it for me.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I love sharkies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Is Trump going to be narrating this?

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It's shart week on Comedy Central.
I must admit I am looking forward to Sharktopus versus Pteroccuda.

Shark week has maybe one new show a year...yawn.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Why not have a crazy druggie week? Or an "ATS' week? Just interview the nuts on ATS. lol
It would take an entire month. They could interview me. I'd tell them all kinds of fun stuff.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I noticed Two Headed Shark followed by Sharknado were on last week...I never watched either.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: minusinfinity

Hmmm and ATS month, now that would be entertainment.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shepard64
a reply to: minusinfinity

Hmmm and ATS month, now that would be entertainment.

Right. Can you imagine?!? If I had a job at a network I would work with this website to develop a show.

Sounds crazy but I bet it would be a hit!

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Aha, I always loved watching this. Watching those things hunt other fish is something else.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cruithneach
Aha, I always loved watching this. Watching those things hunt other fish is something else.

Hunting Seals is even Awesomer.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shepard64
Ever since last years shark week fiasco I have been skeptical of discovery channels content but will still be checking it out. This year will make or break it for me.

The promos for this year's Shark Week don't fill me with much hope.

It looks like they've gone full-on SyFy here.

Oh, and remember Snuffy? It was maybe the one of the funniest commercials from last year.

Looks like Snuffy's one tough little hombre.

Too bad he's kind of lame this time.

It also looks like they're delving back into the realm of the fake documentary with something about a 35' monster White off the coast of S. Africa ... Isn't that how big Jaws was supposed to be? Oh, no, it's 10' longer than the one in Jaws ...

I wish they'd go back to actual docs like they used to.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

I hope Discovery channel learned from their little blunder last year, that Megalodon documentary, and decided to share factual pieces of work and not some Sci-Fi crap...

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   

What the hell!? Did they not learn from last year?? I think it has gone to mainstream to be honest. The viewers who are actually interested in learning are out numbered by people with short attention spans, that is why discovery and all my former favorite channels are taken over by reality pieces of crap like "moonshiners"

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: minusinfinity
Why not have a crazy druggie week? Or an "ATS' week? Just interview the nuts on ATS. lol
It would take an entire month. They could interview me. I'd tell them all kinds of fun stuff.

Watching predatory sharks gnaw on seal carcasses is entertaining for people, not frightening.
But hearing conspiracy forum posters propound their ideas may cause legitimate disquiet, and will most likely not be suitable for children, unlike sharks gnawing on seal carcasses.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Love Discovery, but they have gone too Blair Witch for me.

I am a consumer of your entertainment, at least have the decency to be forth coming with the docu/mocu factor. Nothing worse than watching 20 minutes of a show and figuring out that sharks do NOT come through the plumbing in your house.

Guess I can take this shark cage outta my tub now.

Best thing on Discovery Canada... Ziya Tong. I LOVE YOU ZIYA!!!

lol

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
If Megalodon shows up again I'm turning it off.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArnoldNonymous
If Megalodon shows up again I'm turning it off.

Oh, I have no doubt the same mocumentary will be repeated again...

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ArnoldNonymous

It showed up
i'm in the uk, did not see it first time around.

A bigger load of horsecrap i have never seen. Well apart from the Mermaids show.

There will be huge numbers of folk who fail to see through it. Weep.

Discovery really should never be referred to as a documentary channel. Just like the *cough* "History" channel. What a hoot.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I hear that Zahi Hawass is running the programming at Discovery for Shark Week... Credibility levels +10!
lol

join