It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Migraine Sufferers Have Less Morning Sickness?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Totally random thought while reading a book this evening where a young woman became pregnant and had morning sickness... It made me think about my pregnancies and how I don't recall having morning sickness (or nausea in general) during them.

However, I stupidly decided to go for a run yesterday, in the desert where I live (it was only 85 degrees and there was a breeze when I started the run), and later on developed a headache and some light nausea before I took some Excedrine Migraine and it cleared.

I hadn't felt nauseous for quite a while, so when I was reading this book about the pregnant gal, it made me start thinking about it, and I wondered ifmaybe those of us who have been migraine sufferers since we were children get a "pass" on morning sickness, because we are so used to associating the sensation of nausea with headache pain, that if head pain is not present, we do not interpret nausea the same and it is less overwhelming.

Just a thought. I have, on occasion, had severe cramps that caused me to feel nauseous, had food poisoning a couple of times, and also felt nauseous after surgery, once. But for the most part, nausea in my world almost always comes with migraine.

Any pregnant migraine sufferers want to comment on their morning sickness, or lack thereof?

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   
There are a few different types of headaches that they classify as migraines. If the body can't make enough of an enzyme to detox certain body chemistry than a migraine can be felt. They can come from a deficiency of a few minerals or too much nitrogen or sulfur in the diet. You can choose to reduce these types of food or increase certain minerals in the diet. Whether it is a cheese headache, nitrogen headache, sulfur headache, alcohol headache, or tension headache, certain minerals help. Plain oid salt deficiency also causes a headache. That is the bad one, it causes swelling of the brain.

I can't get rid of the sinus headaches that way though. The ones that come from changes in barometric pressure. Snorting a little salt water or a Nettie pot can help those.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I suffer bad migraines but only had morning sickness that was really bad (i was admitted to hodpital a few times) with my first baby which was a girl, with my 2 boys though i didn't get it just a little nausea here and there, i got mirgaines though which affected my vision alot aswell with all of them, i got bad nausea when in labour and after my c sections aswell, and after every surgery i have had and from the pain killers they give me after surgeries too, so everything just seems to make me sick anyway'! Have suffered with mirgaines since i was younger though and id still rather them over nausea! Atleast mirgaines can generally go away with pain meds.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I have had migraines since I was little, and was dignosed via the test where they hook up sensors all over your scalp and flash pictures of geometric designs at you, when I was maybe ten or so. Never had morning sickness that I can recall. Often had severe nausea and vomiting with migraines. I used to get them several times a week as a child. I have no idea how my parents coped.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I doubt there is a connection. While I've only ever had one migraine i have two kids no morning sickness at all.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Interesting theory, never heard of that before. I've had migraines since I was little, since I've been an adult I will get migraines a few times a month. It's so bad that I am out of commission and unable to do anything at all. I get really bad nausea and that tells me when it is a migraine rather than another type of headache. I also use excederin for migraines and it's literally a life saver, within an hour I'm back to taking care of the kids and everything else that needs to be done. Back to the subject. I've had 3 pregnancies and I never had morning sickness, thank god. I rather take the nausea from migraines than the morning sickness.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: gwynnhwyfar

I've had migraines since i was little as well, sometimes with nausea, sometimes with vision problems. They can last up to 3 days unless i take prescription migraine medication. I've gone through one pregnancy and had morning sickness every day until my son was born. It is likely just coincidence.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I'd say coincidence. I've been diagnosed with chronic migraine and had migraines since grade school. I was up to where I was averaging one day in three pain free before I started working with my neurologist. Now, I maybe get one a month and they are more like what people think of when they think headaches, and I have medication that will get rid of them most of the time. I still wind up in the ER every so often with status migrainosus where my regular meds won't touch them.

Anyhow, with my one and only pregnancy, my gag reflex got so sensitive that brushing my teeth was a chore and taking the large numbers of vitamin pills both the OB and my neurologist wanted me on was a nightmare. I also got really nauseated in the early trimester and lost over 10 pounds between my first and second OB visits because I just didn't feel like eating. I was also prone to bouts of nausea all the way up until my son was born and never could properly put weight on so I only just gained back to where I started by the time the pregnancy ended.

So, yeah, my migraines did jack for staving off my sickness.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I get migraines, and had zero morning sickness with either kid. In fact, the only time I ever threw up, I'd taken a prenatal vite before I ate breakfast. Barf city, baby.

The fact that I never had morning sickness irked a couple of my friends who did have it. Chalk it up to luck, I guess.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Well, it sounds like chance after all, given everyone's answers, since some had morning sickness and some did not. I feel really bad for you gals who have migraines AND had morning sickness! To bad my theory didn't pan out - it would be nice to think you could get something positive out of the deal. Ah well.

Thanks to everyone who answered!

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: gwynnhwyfar

I suffer from migraines and I had horrible morning sickness! It was all day sickness that lasted what seems like forever. I think I had at most two months in the middle where I had none but it came back with a vengeance at the end!

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Double post

edit on 7/29/2014 by mblahnikluver because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I'm sorry, Mblah, that sucks! It seems my theory was flawed, based on many of the replies on this thread.

a reply to: mblahnikluver

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
3 pregnancies and I never had morning sickness. I also didn't get my first migraine until I was pregnant with my second.

new topics

top topics

join