It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DVD Piracy Funds Terrorism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Yep. You read the topic correctly. Apparently DVD Piracy funds Terrorism. Or at least that's what the Industry wants us to believe.

Terrorist Involvement
www.piracyisacrime.com...
Paramilitary organisations are behind 80% of IP crime in Northern Ireland.

Of all pirate and counterfeit products seized in Northern Ireland, pirate DVDs form the largest product type.

According to a 2003 Interpol report on �The Links Between Intellectual Property Crime and Terrorist Financing�, �trafficking in counterfeit goods is a relatively easy criminal activity. A terrorist could make profit solely from the sale of counterfeit or pirated goods and does not need to be involved in the actual production or fabrication. Thus, there are relatively low entry costs and the illicit profit margins are high.

One estimate is that the profits from counterfeiting are similar to drugs trafficking; there is a return of 10 Euros for each 1 Euro invested. Other estimates are that counterfeiting is more profitable than drugs trafficking, one kilo of pirated discs is worth more than one kilo of cannabis resin.

I'm going to be the first to raise the 'BS' flag on this. Now let me wash my hands...

They claim that nearly all pirate and counterfeit products seized in Northern Ireland are counterfit DVDs. Great. Now go to Idaho, seize every pirate/counterfit product in the area and I will personally guarantee that the majority will be DVDs. Free information, regardless of whether it's illegal is an intergal part of our culture. We are all guilty of having loads of .mp3s and 'White label DVDs', does that make us terrorist? Obviously not.

Also comparing counterfit DVDs to drugs. Give me a break. The film industry needs to come down from their 'God-like' pedestal. The consumer is getting smarter. The industry needs to 'wise-up' (first time ever using that word...not sure how I feel about it.)

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 08:03 PM
link   
You`re right. I can get dvd`s from people in my work. They are not terrorists or drug dealers. They just have the software and hardware to get the stuff. As do most of us, if we bothered.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Not really it destroy's sellers.

Why buy a pirated copy? when u can download it for free?

Copyrighted material is really easy to access, and there for killed these types of people. Mabe five years ago u had trouble accessing it and had to buy if from a pirate.

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 04:05 AM
link   
UPDATE:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

So we have Hollywood fighting the war on movie piracy.
Movie piracy funding terrorism.
America fighting the war on terrorism.
And terrorist fighting the war on America.

Just evidence that the entire world has gone nuts.

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Honestly this arbitrary use of the description 'terrorism' has gotten way out of hand.

The 'terrorist' is the modern day bogeyman.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Durden
Honestly this arbitrary use of the description 'terrorism' has gotten way out of hand.

The 'terrorist' is the modern day bogeyman.

The idea of becoming a terrorist has fit nicely with the government's senseless campaign on the war on drugs, war on piracy and pretty soon...war on unprotected sex.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 11:35 PM
link   
don't forget the war on islam, thats an important one!

new topics

top topics

join