It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone familiar with Forest Grove, Oregon?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Hello all. My wife has applied for a position at Pacific University in Forest Grove, OR. I just wanted to know if there are any ATSers that live or have lived in the area to get your impressions.

What are the pros and cons? What are the best areas to live? Good schools? I know it's rainy, but just how bad is it? I've never wanted to live on the west coast as I always pictured California in my mind, but Oregon looks more my speed. Greener, slower pace, and more laid back are the impressions I get. Forest Grove in particular looks like a nice small college town which is like the town we live in now.

Thanks for your input!
edit on 14-7-2014 by jtrenthacker because: words is hard

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker

It's kind of a bedroom community to Portland.
Not that I know the place well... I was over in Klamath Falls...
But it struck me as one of those places where your away from all the troubles of a big city yet close enough to take advantage of.

So you know, water as been a problem for people building house out in the country. If living in town you should be okay but further inland and you might have to haul drinking water back to your place. That always struck me as kind of weird with all the rain they get.

Kind of funny in that I hadn't really though about OR. at all for years ...then just today I see on the news about the fires there, then you posted this thread... shakes my head and walks away humming the theme song for the old 'Outer Limits' TV show...

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   

I lived there when I was a small child and don't remember much. I do remember thinking that it was the most white people I had ever seen until then (it was the first place I had been to in Oregon). I also remember my parents talking fondly of it when I got older.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   

I used to live in Forest Grove! We owned a little home there and worked in Beaverton. I loved it. It's a small community, but it's close enough to Hillsboro, Beaverton and Portland to get anything you want.

The whole NW is rainy and you just have to get used to it.

It is a small college town (which is what we live in now, too) and I really loved that aspect of it. There's SO much to do in the area. You could live in any of the towns and commute (20 minutes), too.

I'm excited for you!

edit on 7/14/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Would you say it's a good place to raise children? The one thing that does attract me is all of the outdoor activities that are possible. Looks to be only about an hour from the beach which would be great. From what I'm reading, it sounds like lots of Californians are moving up there and driving the home prices up.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   

I would think it's the best place in the area to raise kids (I don't have kids). Very little crime. There are parks and it's a more old fashioned place than Hillsboro, etc. We lived on 26th ave in a little blue cape cod.

School ratings

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Awesome. Thanks!

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   
walk down main street in forest grove, look up to the third story..you will see a masonic symbol at the gable. my grandfathers bank...from 1904 then backup a block turn left, there is the masonic lodge... he was a 33 degree, with a fez and sword..
the dominant family back then was the McReadies.. now their forest holdings absorbed by Weyerhauser.
probably will not help much. i dont recommend joining.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Haven't been there since the early 90s, maybe it's changed - Pacific U area was/is nice, but the Forest Grove/Cornelius area as a whole was pretty undesirable. The schools had one of the highest drop out rate in the county, the crime rate was high considering the size, the population was about 50% hispanic, 50% white, IMHO Sherwood or Hillsboro probably have better schools, but then you do lose that "small town" feeling there, more suburb- like. Certain areas tend to flood so be careful where you buy property... Best jobs in the area would be Pacific U, Intel (or any tech-type job)... I remember Gales Creek area being a redneck's dream (for dirt biking, etc) and I do say that with fondness... I think FG may have some decent pubs and wine bars now, maybe it has classed up a bit. As for the rain, it's "the valley" and it rains, sometimes a lot, from Portland to Eugene - it can be gray for most of the winter, you just have to learn to live with it. There is enough to do (if you like the outdoors) to stay busy all year.

edit on 14-7-2014 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: LadySkadi

I agree that Cornelius is "low rent" and I wouldn't live there. But Forest Grove was a cozy little town when we lived there (mid to late 90s).

Forest Grove Demographics
edit on 7/15/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Yeah, I looked at the demographics too and it seems to be predominantly white (not that it matters). Also have been reading about FG schools and they seem to rank pretty high. The only negative I've found is that there is a pretty high student to teacher ratio. Our kids go to a very small private school right now, though if this move goes down, I'm not sure we will keep them in private school. I've also read that Oregon as a whole has one of the biggest unemployment rates and the most food stamp recipients in the country.

Oregon has no sales tax but has one of the highest income taxes in the country. However, from what I have read, it seems that overall tax per capita is one of the lowest in the country. Did I confuse this?

So many things to think about.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Update:
My wife had a phone interview and they have offered to fly her out for an "in-person" interview. They will be taking her out to dinner, giving her a tour and also offered up a realtor to give her a tour of the area. Wow.

We've moved around a lot, but just in the Ohio-Michigan area. I never dreamed that we would consider moving to the west coast. It's both scary and exciting. A lot of things still have to fall in place to make a proper decision but it has gone from a slim chance to a real possibility within a week.

Thanks for the information and advice an I'll keep y'all posted.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   
My wife excepted the position and we will be relocating in December! I need to find a job so if anyone has any leads in the Portland area, let me know. Thanks!

new topics

top topics

join