It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do ATS allow fraud advertisements ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

I don't know the details, since I'm not privy to that information, nor is it any of my business honestly, but I doubt there is a lot of profit in ATS. At least not to the levels where they owners are buying a new Porsche every year.

I know that many of the senior level Admin/Owners have full time careers outside of running ATS.

But yeah, it does cost all that and the ad revenue barely pays for it all. Which is why we have this clause specifically:

20b) Ad Blockers: As the Websites are provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options designed to obfuscate or block online advertising while using the Websites.

Like I stated above, I only have a handful of people who log into my server daily, bout 100 maybe and I have costs over 1000$. You can imagine how high it goes when you reach the million mark every other day or so.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Torre
ATS is a business in the business to make money just like any other business.
The real successful businesses go to psychopathic lengths to be successful, maybe the owners just want to be successful at any cost.
You do realize ATS is ONLY an entertainment website, right?

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Yeah, bandwidth would be a huge cost, didn't really think about that fact.

OK, I stand corrected and I don't block stuff from here, just ignore it like probably everyone else does so I doubt they make much from any advertising.
edit on 11-7-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: for clarity

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Depends really, some ad places pay for clicks, others pay for views. I ran a tiny blog website for a while, and ran one ad service that paid for clicks, and one that paid for views. I made pretty near zero from the click one, but after all expenses, I believe that last year I ran it's profit was a whopping 22 dollars lol. Yeah, after 3 years I just gave it up, was not worth the hassle making that kinda chump change lmao. Was hoping to be the next internet millionaire

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: TKDRL

When I visit ATS, I get, and at this moment in time I am reading One importamt warning from My Anti-Virus device. It states - and I quote;

"We tested this page and Blocked content that comes from Potentially Dangerous or Suspicious sites. Allow this content only if you are sure it comes from safe sites". End of quote;

So something dodgy is trying to cause a problem. Do not het this warning when visiting other sites, just thought it best to mention such.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: steaming
It could be an infection. I am not a pro, but I do know a few. The pros I know(people who make a living fixing computers) told me this. Don't bother with active antivirus, they are wastes of resources. They recommend using avast if you use any. For me, and what I have been doing forever is using no active antivirus at all, but scanning every other day with ccleaner, malwarebytes and super antispyware. Once a month I also run combofix, to be sure, that program was recommended by an admin or mod here. Take with a grain of salt though, what works for me, might not work for someone else.

I also use noscript and adblocks addons for firefox at sites I don't trust. It is a pain in the ass these days though, so many sites use scripts as the base to their sites, instead of as enhancements, so a lot of sites will not work without allowing them.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: TKDRL

Thanks for the advice, I have McAfee, something not as good as NORTON, and in the past it has allowed a ruddy Trojan to slide through. Will be giving Malaware bytes gadget a try and then run regedit etc. Cheers

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   

An accountant's fees, people to answer the phone and develop the advertisement, the software costs, the server costs. Now some of that can be done by the owner and one other person but the rest is not cheap. Sometimes the people who develop the site and supply the software take a percentage, but first there has to be a base.

Like any business venture, you start to show profit after years of developing the business. When I looked into starting a site ten years or more ago and got my Go-Daddy account, I learned of this stuff. I didn't pursue it though, not even listing anything other than my business names on the two sites I had. I didn't have time to develop it because I was too busy working. At that time, you got a quarter of a cent for anyone who hit on the advertisement I think.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
a reply to: Torre

You can clear your cookies and your cache, but what you truly want is your browser to send DO NOT TRACK requests to the websites you visit.

Whichever browser you use, most likely has a setting that enables/disables this. It won't solve the problem 100%, but it will lessen the likely hood of getting the same ads served to you over and over again.

Especially the junky ones.

~Tenth

Do you have an example of how to do this; say on any mainstream browser...try Firefox or IE.

Those ads are tracked solely by cookies. The cookies get set anytime One visits a website with advertising.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

An accountant's fees, people to answer the phone and develop the advertisement, the software costs, the server costs. Now some of that can be done by the owner and one other person but the rest is not cheap. Sometimes the people who develop the site and supply the software take a percentage, but first there has to be a base.

I'm sorry, but I feel reality need to be served here!

The are probably NO accountant's fees; the providers of any income (advertising provider) supplies all the data and reports required...little else to be done.

Answer the phone? Probably no phone to answer, other than a personal phone...

Develop the advertising. Done by the advertising provider.

Software...open source...except for any customizing done by management...virtually free.

Server costs...ATS uses what is known as a "lamp stack"; that is Linux, Apache, My-Sql, and PHP.

Linus is free
Apache comes with Linux
MySQL...free
PHP...free

ATS uses approximately 180 GB of storage, not very expensive...would go un-noticed on my PC...

Real costs: housing of the server, backbone connection. Based on many Apache providers, this can be very little; perhaps only a few hundred / month.

Advertising income: Most / many advertising providers pay per click, and can pay as much as $1.00, though that would be rather rare. most clicks pay from $0.01 to $0.33 not very much...but when you add up a few thousand page views per day, the income begins to mount and add up. Even with a lousy click-through rate!

I would consider myself not unlike anybody else here...I ignore the ads for the most part...but, once in a while, I see one that gets my interest...ATS gets paid.

The point is; that there is enough content and traffic here to support three or four people...easily.

Now...with all that said; can we get a round of applause for ATS and management.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: tanka418
In firefox, tool menu > option >privacy tab there should be an option at the top on tracking.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: TKDRL
a reply to: tanka418
In firefox, tool menu > option >privacy tab there should be an option at the top on tracking.

"Do Not Track" is a preference that users can set in web browsers to inform websites that they do not want to be tracked, which may help protect them against forms of tracking on the web. Currently, IE10, IE9, IE8, and Firefox support various methods of tracking protection. Today, there is no single definition of what it means to be "tracked," so expressing a preference does not guarantee users that they will be able to block all web sites and content that they may view as being associated with tracking behavior. Users should consider which method of tracking protection is most effective for them.
--- ie.microsoft.com...

Yeah...that's gonna be real effective! NOT.

Anyway, this is purely local thing; works solely in your browser, and ultimately only blocks websites that advertise...this actually has little to no effect on privacy. And, nearly as important; does not notify the "offending" website of anything. In short it is more of a cosmetic thing than anything practical...intended to make the user "feel good"; but...does little to nothing.

Would seem to little ore than an "ad blocker" with a different name.

<< 1   >>

join