It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Memorial Day - Never forget the Battle of the Somme at Beaumont-Hamel July 1st, 1916

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Happy Canada Day to all of my fellow Canadian's, and I would also like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that today is also Memorial Day here in Newfoundland.

On Memorial Day we commemorate the sacrifices made by Newfoundland military personnel, particularly during the Battle of the Somme at Beaumont-Hamel on July 1st, 1916. During the very first attack and advance of this battle the 1st Newfoundland Regiment saw extremely high casualties. Of the 801 Newfoundlander's who went into battle that morning, only 68 were able to answer the roll call the next day, with 255 dead, 386 wounded and 91 missing.

You can learn more about The 1st Newfoundland Regiment and the Battle of the Somme here:
www.veterans.gc.ca...

For Centuries Newfoundland has answered the call of duty, and in addition to nearly all modern conflicts Newfoundlander's have been involved in major conflicts around the world since the mid 1600s, including:

The Anglo-Dutch Wars – 1652
The War of the Austrian Succession – 1743

The Seven Year War - 1756

The American Revolution - 1775

The Napoleonic Wars – 1796

The War of 1812

World War I – 1914

World War II – 1939

In addition, there were some Newfoundlander's serving with the Union during the American Civil War as well. A listing of those men is found here:
ngb.chebucto.org...
edit on AMTue, 01 Jul 2014 10:49:13 -050007am01amTuesdayTuesday by Armadall because: my spelling sucks today

edit on AMTue, 01 Jul 2014 10:50:53 -050007am01amTuesdayTuesday by Armadall because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Armadall

Taking a moment to pause and reflect on such a huge sacrifice. I'm so happy that Newfoundland joined Canada. I spent a few delightful weeks there and loved the Jigg's dinner with homemade blueberry pie! The people there are amazing. Love, love, love 'em all.

join