It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One of Australias most complained about tv ad's

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Im sorry if this is in the wrong section couldn't think where else it would suit..

There has been a tv advert airing recently here that I and everyone else around me has found to be extremely disturbing, it is by StJohn Ambulance basically to get parents to learn first aid & pool safety.. i read today it is One of Australias most complained about adverts News link i think its about time that they took this advert off the tv, its done its job ill never own a pool because of it.. here is a link to the video on youtube (i cant embed on my phone sorry) - m.youtube.com...
So am i and alot of other people being over sensitive and is this ok for tv? I just think they can get the point accross in a less horrific manner!
edit on 30-6-2014 by Shana91aus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 04:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Shana91aus

S&F!

I am an Australian.

I haven't watched TV since they switched to digital over a year ago ... so I haven't been subjected to this ad at all.

I watched the ad on youtube ...

And yes it is hugely disturbing ... but I see zero issues with it ... that subject needs to SCARE THE CRAP out parents seriously.

Any parent who does not have their First Aid cert ... IS A VERY BAD NEGLIGENT PARENT!

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Ummm ... yeah. What has been seen cannot be unseen.

This would disturb me every time I saw it. I'd have to change the channel or leave the room running.

You've been warned.
edit on 3062014 by Snarl because: Removed thread's second video link. Thanks DJ!!

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 04:34 AM
link   

It's there for a good reason.

Check out these numbers

The simple fact is that people are not getting the message. Personally I've no problem with it, but there you go.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Why do you bother watching the propaganda and distraction box for anyway? Its only to keep you disinterested in the affairs of state.

The most effective advert ever shown on Australian television was an advert showing a teenage girl turn into a shriveled up old prune of a woman while she smoked cigarettes, in the 1970-80s. It stopped teenage girls from smoking in its tracks but it was taken off the air because the tobacco companies complained to the advertising standards council.

Obviously the advert you speak of is not putting rich and powerful noses out of joint

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 04:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Really? I didn't find it disturbing at all. Lots of other garbage on television I find much more disturbing than this that I wouldn't want my kid watching. Pick a random music video out of the top 40 list and I'd probably be more uncomfortable watching that than this.

Sends a good message. This one is much more violent imo, and sends an equally important message:

edit on 30-6-2014 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: learnatic

The anti-smoking ad with the ciggie that had a fish hook in the end (symbolising being "hooked" on ciggies) was also a key factor in that.

In later airings, the hook in the bottom lip was covered by a little black box (as the girl struggled to get the fish hook ciggie out of her mouth).

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 05:20 AM
link   
a reply to: DietJoke

I do agree parents should have their first aid certificate without a doubt but i just think theres other ways to go about it that are alot less disturbing.i think it does do the job though but if you read the news link at what people had to say about it it seems to really get to alot of people even more than it gets too me! Like one person said how it brought on their depression and thoughts of suicide.. Although it didn't hit me that hard it goes to show it can be mentally damaging.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 05:29 AM
link   
a reply to: myselfaswell

Thanks for the link with the numbers, i knew it certainly is a big issue here and i know people aren't getting the message but if using their common sense especially with children around water and doing their job as a parent to protect their child isnt going to work then i doubt this will even work anyway! Most people don't just leave their kids alone in a pool, infact most drownings that i hear of are from pool gates being left open and kids getting in there on their own..

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 05:33 AM
link   

This advertisement is both stark, and well directed. These things make it a high impact, and therefore effective communication of the subject matter.

I see no problem with it.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   
a reply to: learnatic

I wasn't alive then so havent seen the ad your talking about but what a ridiculous reason to take it off the air! Especially if it was working!!!!!! Ill ask my mum if she remembers it she was a teen (that smoked) around that time..
As far as me watching tv i dont watch alot of it but theres a few shows i like i spend alot more time reading about worthwhile stuff and learning than i do watching tv, its not all bad though and i am not weak minded that i let a tv distract me from what is really happening in the world.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph

I dont find yours as disturbing as mine but i think people that text and drive are absolute idiots and if theyre smart enough to drive they should be smart enough too know not too text and drive, ofcourse its still sad and not nice too look at but in the St John Ambulance advert he was just a kid what happened was an accident.. I absolutely totally agree on the top 40 music videos that theyre disturbing but yeah they dont involve kids dying that to me is like something i just cant watch.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Good one!!

I'm sure everyone's seen a version of this. My daughter's sitting next to me and just said it won awards.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 05:55 AM
link   
a reply to: DietJoke

Make me wonder how long before the government forces the closure/abandonment of private pools.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Certainly get's the point across and personally i think it should be left to run, if it helps just a few it's worth it.
and yes it's painful to watch but that is the point, a situation where you cant save your child's life because you don't know 1st aid would be horrendous.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 06:47 AM
link   
It's a very well done advert and really has an impact.
This is exactly the kind of advert needed for these things, same with drink driving, domestic abuse and other serious issues.

originally posted by: Shana91aus
So am i and alot of other people being over sensitive and is this ok for tv? I just think they can get the point accross in a less horrific manner!

Yes you're being over sensitive.
Cheery music and asking/warning people nicely just doesn't work, at all.

I say well done to the St Johns ambulance folks.

I've seen much worse, harsh and shocking adverts though....
edit on 30/6/14 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Thanks for your opinions its really interesting seeing others views on this and has made me look at it slightly differently too i can understand what those of you who think it is a good idea are saying this is why i knew it would be good to disciss here because it has raised points in my mind i probably wouldn't havs thought of on my own. I still can't watch the video though, and i hope it does save some lives maybe then its justified how disturbing it is i don't think it will make much of a difference though.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Imo, well done.

Verrry effective ad.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

Good one!!

I'm sure everyone's seen a version of this. My daughter's sitting next to me and just said it won awards.

What no virgins? I thought this would be a good commercial. I was told there would be virgins upon death. I am converting back.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Pretty effective commercial.

Also though, just raising the kids to be a bit smart helps too.
The kid in the commercial was swimming while someone else was there.
That's the key. Have to keep them from doing this alone, if you have a pool, even as an adult really.
Swim with a buddy, so if something happens, you're covered.

And if you do have a pool, with just one small child, you're probably an idiot. Especially if you don't have a hard locking cover that can go in place or where you can lock the area to where the kid can't enter without you (but really, a kid will get in there if he/she wants to). Goes back to the smart thing....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join