It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US pressures El Salvador to buy Monsanto's GMO seeds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   

As one of the preconditions to authorizing close to $300 million in aid, the United States is pressuring El Salvador to purchase genetically modified seeds from Monsanto instead of non-GM seeds from local farmers.

According to Sustainable Pulse, a website covering developments related to genetically modified organisms and sustainable agriculture, the US will reportedly withhold $277 million in aid through the Millennium Challenge Compact if El Salvador refuses to purchase GM seeds from the biotech company Monsanto.

This is another example of how corporations, especially Monsanto, influence US policies both domestically and abroad.

It's their money and they can do what they want with it (it's not like the tax payers have any say in the matter) but their wording for the reason of withholding these funds is deceptive (in my opinion). They categorize it as "economic and environmental reform".

The website states that the stalled aid package was originally put on hold in late 2013, when it was revealed that Millennium Challenge Corporation would not deliver funds to the country unless “specific” economic and environmental reforms were made. Apparently, one of those is related to the purchase of GMO seeds.

I find it odd to say the least that an ex lawyer for Monsanto currently holds a seat on the US Supreme Court, could this be be mere coincidence? There are many other connections between US Politics and Monsanto as this venn diagram illustrates from this great thread by Jason88.

El Salvador doesn't seem too pleased, can you blame them?

Speaking with Verdad Digital, however, the president of the El Salvadoran Center for Appropriate Technologies (CESTA) criticized the US negotiating position and said the country should back away from its demand.

“I would like to tell the U.S. Ambassador to stop pressuring the Government (of El Salvador) to buy ‘improved’ GM seeds,” CESTA president Ricardo Navarro said, adding that the move would hurt the local economy and only benefit US companies.

Navarro specifically singled out Monsanto for criticism as well, saying, “There is a harmful corporation on the planet called Monsanto … it is truly disturbing that the U.S. is trying to promote them.”

"Sure we'll help ya, as long as you promise to use Monsanto seeds and all the wonderful things that they bring"

Great marketing technique if you ask me!

Source

Remember, please attack the content, not the source (RT).
edit on 6/11/2014 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Corruption Exposed

Where does El Salvadore typically get their seeds from?

Do they generally take the money we give them and buy seed from other countries?

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Already posted here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: LrdRedhawk

Thanks, my search came up empty-handed.

Mods, please close this one down so the discussion can continue in the other thread.

Also - LOL @ Grimpachi copy and pasting the same canned response in both threads!

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   

This is another example of how corporations, especially Monsanto, influence US policies both domestically and abroad. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I am calling bullsnip because of a company called SYNGENTA.

Here is a little background on them:

Syngenta AG is a global Swiss agribusiness that markets seeds and agrochemicals. Syngenta is involved in biotechnology and genomic research. It was formed in 2000 by the merger of Novartis Agribusiness and Zeneca Agrochemicals. The company was ranked third in total seeds and biotechnology sales in 2009 in the commercial market.[2] Sales in 2013 were approximately US$ 14.7 billion. Syngenta employs over 28,000 people in over 90 countries. Over half of the sales are in Emerging Markets.[1] Syngenta is listed on both the Swiss stock exchange and in New York.[1]

en.wikipedia.org...

And lookie here:

Syngenta EL SALVADOR

So how is 'evil' monsanto the most demagogued company in the world have a monopoly anywhere ?

Because if they did ?

There would be no Syngenta 'EL Salvador'.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: LrdRedhawk

With all due respect your thread was a lazy copy & paste job with no thoughts or opinions of your own. Normally those threads get trashed. This thread is much more informative. Hopefully the admins will allow this thread to remain. Lazy threads with no content are pretty lame.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: anchorman80

I agree that this thread should remain open for its informativeness, but I don't see any "respect" in your comment. Not everyone is obligated to say what they think about news that happens. At least I'm contributing news to ATS instead of insults to the contributors.

new topics

top topics

join