It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The History of Westeros

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Hello everybody!

As a big fan of the show I found this very interesting and informative so I thought I would share. I am not sure how much George gets into the actual history of Westeros in the books but for the show watchers I suggest giving this a read. I found all this useful as it sheds a little light on why the characters are how they are and how the different houses came into play. It is also very cool to see how the modern Westeros came to be not to mention learning a little more about those mysterious white walkers origins and how and why the wall was erected. I enjoyed the show but felt I was missing something with the history, now I feel I have a better understanding of the show. So if you are bored at work and are a fan give this a read (what I did).

Oh and how awesome was last episode!?!? I mean giants with bows!

gameofthrones.wikia.com...

The recorded history of Westeros extends back over 12,500 years, according to tradition, though the accuracy of the legends and myths that recount much of this history is openly questioned by the maesters of the Citadel, amongst others.

As with real-life medieval cultures, the people that inhabit the known world that the continents of Westeros, Essos, and Sothoryos are located in do not possess objective knowledge about how their world was created. This is in contrast with J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth legendarium, in which characters actually did meet their gods or angelic beings and knew the full history of their world. In the fantasy world Westeros is set in, civilization just gradually coalesced from the hunter-gatherer level, as in real-life. Many different cultures have their own theories about how the world began and how the human race came to be, usually tied to which religion they practice. Different religions offer drastically different theories on how the world was created. Even more simple "cultural traditions" and oral histories have much to say on the subject, but no hard evidence. Some of these oral traditions are known to be simply wrong: the Dothraki believe that the first man came into being one thousand years ago, when even the written histories of other continuous civilizations stretch back five to six thousand years.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Shepard64

I'm a bookie. Have been for years, like way before the show came out. I'm a bit of a SoI&F Hipster, really.

That said, even I learned a thing or two by reading (skimming) this. Bookmarking it for later, thanks Shepard.

By the way, READ THE BOOKS! lol

edit on Cpm2Tuesday5420144230Tue, 10 Jun 2014 14:54:42 -05002014 by CagliostroTheGreat because: learn to proof read, noob

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

Ahahah I am not a big reader but I think I can get over that for GOT especially after last episode, it really solidified my dedication.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Thank you

I'm a massive fan of GOT and just about to watch this weeks episode

Just started to read the books as we'll
Can't wait for the giants with arrows now haha

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   

A Song of Ice and Fire rules everything around me, lol.

Counting down the days until The World of Ice and Fire comes out, just a few more long and agonizing months! October 28th I will be at the books store hours prior to its opening to ensure a copy is mine.

Bran's storyline is very interesting and ties in to the history of Westeros that I find most intriguing. Hopefully GRRM inculdes a nice long backstory of the Children.

A snippet from Aegons Conquest.

edit on 10-6-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: eta

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Ya i'm interested to see where all the children of the forest went, which I wouldnt have known about if I didn't read this

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   

I know where some of the children went. But I won't spoil that for you.

new topics

top topics

join