It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Da Vinci's Demons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Can't believe we have to wait almost a year for series three. Really enjoyed the first two series and whilst, by any stretch of the imagination, it's not meant to be historically accurate in any sense of the word, the fact they have mirrored the actual historical events or period has been a nice touch. Some have complained that, they have turned Da Vinci into some kind of "Renaissance Superhero", the truth is, one of his early biographers actually did portray him in exactly that sort of light.

Made by much of the same team responsible for Doctor Who and let's be honest here, Da Vinci is portrayed as about 7 parts Doctor Who, 3 parts Sherlock Holmes, it's managed to, in my view, walk the fine line between a totally enjoyable historical romp that can engage those without any deep interest in the period or the man and those with a more esoteric bent to their wanderings.

I'd also commend it for not "talking down to its' audience" if you don't catch the in jokes and the identities of many of the characters then they aren't sticking up huge cards saying "This was the person that"....

it's also a pleasure to see a show that is most assuredly "adult" in its' content, at times it sure doesn't pull it punches with the violence and it can be pretty explicit at times.

if you are looking for historical accuracy then leave it well alone however, if you enjoy a damned good costume romp with a deep vein of esoteric weirdness running through it, then it's a really enjoyable romp.

It's also most definitely an ensemble cast as well, which is is always good to see. The many characters are well played and the line between "Good and Bad" is nicely blurred, with several characters being totally ambiguous in their natures, which is actually far more like real life.

I've had a read through the threads on this part of the forum and so far, not seen one mention of the show, so thought, well here goes might as well mention it as many might have either missed it or simply passed it over without paying it any heed.

Also, I wonder if anyone will now try to tackle "The Worm Ouroboros" and E R Eddison's other works for TV, as they are the fountain-head of the whole "sword and sorcery" genre.

Finally, for those either too young or of a non British origin then I can heartily recommend a search on YouTube search for the following series

"The Children of the Stones"
"The Owl Service"
"Sky The TV Series"

I leave you with this absolute classic from the BBC in 1992. Imagine the best known TV celebs from your typical daytime TV shows and one of your most respected "celeb interviewers" from whatever country you happen to live in, appearing on what seems to be yet another tacky "reality show" about the supernatural. This show was met with howls of complaint from hundreds of people who took it at face value and assumed it was "real" because of those people appearing in it.

edit on 8-6-2014 by FireMoon because: spellnig

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I couldn't agree more, so frustrated that we have to wait a year. I've come to really enjoy DaVinci's Demons --- awesome show!

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: FireMoon

Me and my wife both watch the show also Firemoon. Its a good show if your not interested in the facts of the real life of Da vinci.

************************Spoiler **************************

My Fave parts are the Aztec dudes. The Costumes are great, especially the Kings golden headpiece.
I also enjoyed the parts where Da Vinci and Reario are forced to create a temporary truce to survive and get home.

Cant wait for the show to return especially since he spots his mother at the last sec on the Turk ship.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I watch the show.. sometimes Leonardo annoys me and i believe its more actor related. Riario is absolutely brilliant. It could be better but some roles just donĀ“t play well. It is a good show and well buildt ideas.

edit on 8-6-2014 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

join