It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fully Interactive Firearm Training Game - Guide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Good evening everyone! I discovered something I think is really neat and just had to share. In order to use this as a personal tool, you need the Steam game client. That is one of the standard game clients used these days to handle a variety of things and I believe it's free. The "game" itself is also free although it's set up to 'unlock' different firearms as you go, by gaining proficiency in ones you already have. It starts with the 1911 and the Ak-47 Automatic Rifle.

They call it a 'game' and I use that in quotes because that is true only in so far as they designed it to have requirements and challenges. When you first start it, for instance, you have to complete a long and repetitive tutorial. After the tutorial, trust me, you will be able to disassemble a 1911 and will have at least a basic level of knowledge to field strip an AK-47.

The Models are high quality, and the details are precise. All the pins are right, the function is correct and the sequence as well as interaction is all correct. I own the 1911 and an intimately familiar with it. I've handled the Ak-47 and clean what I shoot, so I'm very generally familiar with it and all that looked correct. VERY highly correct, actually. As in, training levels of accuracy.

Now for those who cannot or simply do not want to download Steam (and don't have it already) or just don't want the hassle of downloading anything, that's fine too. Others have very generously spent some time building up videos of what this does, and aside from being very informative...I found a couple of the more exotic weapons for their operation to show as well.

Meet the Humble 1911

The Venerable Ak 47 Rifle

The 'Stargate' FN P-90

Miniguns to the UMP 45 (Silenced, of course
)

The wee..but not weak..Calico .22

...and last but certainly not least? What did those guys with the M-60 in war movies have to clean afterward in real life?

Whether anyone decides to check out the full "game" or not, the above vids ought to be interesting. The full software has dozens of firearms in the same full detail. Some of the videos fade around for time, but in the full software, that 3-d model area is a free moving environment with pan/zoom to any level and from any angle to view details inside and out of whatever is being examined. Aside from the annoying tutorial forced at the start? It's a very useful thing to check out for something free to download.

World of Guns: Gun Disassembly

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Many of these weapons I have direct experience in maintenance.

Others, like some belt fed machine guns, automatic grenade launchers like the MK19, and other specialized weapons I learned about in the armorers course in the army.

Went through some of the videos here and I have to concur with the precision and accuracy of modeling and take down procedures. Though the videos go into far more detailed takedown than is necessary for the average person, it is still a very useful tool, in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 01:18 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I want to thank you for coming by and taking a look at these. The 1911 is the one I am really familiar with myself and this actually showed a couple minor parts I've never bothered to take down for lack of a clear and easy way to do it. I never bothered. I will the next time I get back from shooting.

Your personal experience to give feedback with helps and gives me a bit more motivation to work through the 'game' structure they have on this to see all of the different weapons they have available.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 01:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

Oh man, I am working a 16 right now and only have 8 hours before my next shift and you show me this! Looks like I'm not gonna get any sleep today

I am excited to try it when I get home. Thank you for posting, ill s&f if I can.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Looks like that's a milled AK (2 tang), not a stamped one. (Not that that really matters for a basic field strip....I just really like AK rifles)

....Now, if they also included how to build an AK from a parts kit, it would be nice if they also included the tools required for a build. (AK parts kits are falling in prices lately, and im really thinking about doing a simple "kitchen-build" of one, unless if the tools required are too expensive)

ETA - Also noticed there's no side rail scope mount on the AK in the video. I wouldn't buy that AK just because of that

edit on 7-6-2014 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

ETA 2 - Uh oh....after watching the video more, it doesn't show the trigger guard removal/installation. Just another thing I caught.
edit on 7-6-2014 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 03:10 AM
link   
I dont know if its just me but taking things apart and putting them back together is sort of a specialty.

Hell i can even put together ikea furniture without the 'instructions'. Yeah. Really.

Nothing ive ever taken apart failed to work once put back togther. Im sure a few little guns arnt that hard to master either.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I'm pretty familiar with the 1911, among a few others. I'm sure anyone who has taken down a 1911 has had the experience of the recoil spring flying off, at one time or another. That's where the real joy comes from, searching for springs on the floor.

a reply to: buni11687

I noticed the same (the AK being milled). I'm not sure I'd want to build an AK though, It's a much more involved process than what I can comfortably do, since you have to do some fitting of metal parts. Maybe one day.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 06:40 AM
link   

I LOVE WOG....i've had it on my ipad for ages.

fantastic tool.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   

edit on 6-10-2014 by Daedalus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   
At the military Academy (some will not believe this) I could take a 1911 and field strip it in what seems like 5.5 seconds or maybe it was put one back together ? I honestly only remember the 5.5 second thing. When disassembling we had to place each part on a plastic sheet that had the pictures of the parts. Then when told to...... we were timed on putting it back together.. There is a secret to getting the slide stop pin aligned to pass through the barrel link eyelet faster than most people could possibly figure out.. even when seen done. Now before eggs are thrown those 1911s were rattle traps and had been assembled and disassembled thousands of times so they were very much on the loose side as far as fit and finish.....

My personnel 1911.... I never tried to time myself and I doubt I could repeat even the secret move successfully/consistently with pin through eye (I have tried a few times and the move worked about 1/3 of the time) because my 1911 is tight and not a rattle trap...

Thanks for the vids Wrabbit

P.S. everyone is now wondering what the secret move is. Muhhhhahahaha

new topics

top topics

join