It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another brutal gang rape and murder in India. Mother of victims brutally attacked.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Rape victim's mother beaten to force her to drop charges in India.

In the incident in Etawah, five men -- including the father, a brother and a cousin of the man accused in the rape -- followed the victim's mother away from her house and beat her relentlessly on Monday, demanding she drop the accusation, said Dinesh Kumar, the town's police superintendent. The mother was in critical condition in a local hospital, with numerous broken bones and internal injuries.The two cousins -- whom police had originally identified as sisters -- were raped and killed by attackers who hung their bodies from a mango tree in the village of Katra, also in Uttar Pradesh.

The girls, 14 and 15 years old, were attacked as they went into nearby fields to relieve themselves, since there is no toilet in their home.

Police arrested two police officers and two men from the village, and were searching for three more suspects.

This topic came up in one of my classes being taught by an Indian professor.

According to him, there is an underlying attitude that women in India are worthless.

He mentioned a religious text, the Manusmriti, which states that "animals, drums, illiterates, low castes and women are worthy of being beaten".

While I dont believe in foreign intervention, I do agree with the idea of international condemnation in an effort to bring justice to these victims. It seemed to work quite well in forcing the arrests of those who were responsible for the recently killed girl in Pakistan.

However, real changes in culture and attitudes can take much longer.

edit on 2-6-2014 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
So was the mother raped or just beaten...the title of the op and the title of your link differ quite a bit...

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   

edit on 2-6-2014 by minusinfinity because: (no reason given)

That was not my reply.

Someone else was using my computer.
edit on 2-6-2014 by minusinfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

These people would be better off under British rule.

standards, decency and abolish the caste system.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: HanzHenry
a reply to: gladtobehere

These people would be better off under British rule.

standards, decency and abolish the caste system.

LMAO!!!!

Noone is better off under British Rule.

(that is my post!)

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
India is ilterally the toilet bowl of planet earth, since 500 million people don't have access to running water. I guess perps figure there's so many people and too few resources to get caught. Luckily, people are demanding justice over there, but it took last year's gang rape on the bus to motvate them.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: minusinfinity

Under British rule of law as it is today ... those girls would probably still be alive; the mother wouldn't be fighting for her life; and the perps would probably be educated enough to know better than to treat other humans the way they are. Do you see this kind of thing happening in England? No? Then it's better.

The poster had a point.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

originally posted by: minusinfinity

Under British rule of law as it is today ... those girls would probably still be alive; the mother wouldn't be fighting for her life; and the perps would probably be educated enough to know better than to treat other humans the way they are. Do you see this kind of thing happening in England? No? Then it's better.

The poster had a point.

Okay then why not say under international law?

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Colonial (AKA slave rule) is hardly better.

The problem would seem to be religion, overpopulation causing lack of respect for life, and third world living conditions.

new topics

top topics

join