It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia resettles more than 500 Afghan helpers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I do hope the United States will insure the same is done for the people who helped us in good conscience.

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — Australia revealed Sunday that it had resettled in recent months more than 500 Afghans who had jeopardized their own safety by helping the Australian military in their war-ravaged homeland.

The Afghans, mainly interpreters and their families, were granted refugee visas. Most were resettled in Australia since late last year, the government said in a statement.
Source

I think one of the worst things a country can do when leaving a combat zone is willfully leave behind those who acted in ways they believed were right.

There may come reprisals at some point, and it wouldn't be the first time in Afghanistan's history. I hope no one is left behind. Not just Western nationals, but those who directly risked their lives for them, too.

Just my thoughts on this, but I'm curious what ATS makes of it.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

These people will be mostly welcomed here, I say mostly, because well, there's always some who remain xenophobic, fact remains though is that this country was built on the backs of immigrants.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Doubt u.s will .. after saigon fell and everyone fled many who worked with the americans during the war ended up in reeducation camps.. some vietnamese were lucky and got to the states .. theres was a vietnamese community near ft. bragg they had been sponsored /supported by members of 5th group .. not sure if the community still there these days .. but in most cases when uncle scam pulls out the locals are fooked ..

Good on oz giving them a chance at life ..

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I've got quite a few afghan settlers in the area I work, they are regular and loyal customers for gas fills.

I would rate them as really nice people actually. All the better if they have come here because they went above and beyond for our diggers. It means they've already shown they love us and our country

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

The interesting thing about the refugee status within Australia that creates soreness amongst people is that many of the so called "refugees" are not true asylum seekers, but political refugees that sneak their way into the country, having paid many thousands of dollars and already passed through other 'safe haven' countries on the way here to settle and basically leech off the system. That is where the whole animosity towards refugees comes from in Australia, but with the media twisting it like it always does, and many people here not understanding the difference between the two, ignorance will always sadly prevail.

I say if they are coming here legitimately with the government's blessing, and they will continue to be a benefit to our society and not a leech off the system, by all means welcome them and give them the best of our sanctum.

new topics

top topics

join