It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please share the craziest recipe you have that sounds 'gross' but tastes awesome good!!!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   
-Breaded chicken cutlet, dill pickle chips, pulled pork, a squeeze of lemon, cheddar cheese with ranch, thousand island or blue cheese sauce.

-Like tuna fish but, canned salmon, lots of avocado, herb or spicy mayo, shallots, real bacon bits, on pumpernickel bread.

-Watermelon pieces soaking in a lemon and basil infused club soda.

-Sardines on a garlic triscut drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette or reduction.
edit on 25-5-2014 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Sweet and Sour Fish Soup
I love it. Most of the family loves it. But it is an acquired taste. Fiance's mum uses catfish but I use pompano.

Gut the fish and rub it down with salt and let it sit for about 10-20 minutes. Afterwards rinse and place in a pot of water with some salt and let it boil for a while (until you're confident the raw fishiness smell and flavor is out of it). I usually cut the fish into sections for this part. Dump the water and set fish aside. (If you haven't removed any fins, now's your chance. They come off easily and without the need of a knife. I just pull them off with my fingers.)

Cut 2-3 tomatoes into wedges.
Mince 2-4 green onions.
Mince a few cloves of garlic.
Cut pineapple into chunks (if you don't have a can of chunks and only a fresh pineapple. If it IS from a can, make sure it's the kind NOT in syrup.).
Peel the outer layer of several taro stalks and then cut them into bite sized pieces. (This is my favorite part of the dish, so I put HEAPS of it in.)
Break into small pieces several sprigs of vietnamese rice patty herbs (my fiance loves the flavor from these so we usually do a large handful. I would suggest adding to taste as you go.)
And a large handful of bean sprouts.

And for the soup itself you'll need...
Water
Fish sauce
Tamarind
Sugar

The flavor you'll be aiming for is strong but not overwhelming. The fish sauce works like salt, tamarind (in case you don't know what it is. I know I didn't know until I made this recipe the first time) is the sour, and the sugar is... well... sweet. You'll want to find a balance of all three. I can't give measurements because we go by taste as we go along.

STOP. Before you begin making the base, you'll want to saute the green onions and garlic in your soup pot. Once they start to appear slightly brown around the edges you'll add your water and your fish. Make sure the water level is high enough to cover the fish and deep enough to submerge your other ingredients. You'll want to add your tomatoes and pineapple now.
At this point I usually start to add in the tamarind, sugar, fish sauce, and rice patty herbs until i'm satisfied with the flavor. Once the soup comes to a boil, I add the taro stalks and let them cook for only a few minutes. You want them soft but still with a little "crunch" to them. Then I add the bean sprouts very last and turn the heat off (once again, you don't want to overcook the bean sprouts, just like the taro stalk.).

Soup is ready at this point. Just serve over white rice or serve without.

I would highly suggest looking around for a recipe that gives appropriate measurements if it's your first time, since you probably don't know what to expect for the general taste of the dish. There are several variations to this recipe also with different cooking instructions. I find many include okra, but I haven't found a way to include the okra without making the soup slimey (but I know it can be done! My fiance's mom manages it.)

I love this recipe. Wish I could have some right now.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
make sur your custard is piping hot.

originally posted by: angelchemuel
a reply to: truthseeker10

Really!!!!!!!!
I'm going to give that a go!!!!
Rainbows
Jane

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Carrot curry soup

I peel a whole pack of carrots and then use the peeler to shred them down to nothing. Add to a pot with enough water to cover them and start boiling. In another pan throw some chopped onions and peppers in some butter and fry until almost crispy. When the carrots can be mashed they are done. Add some butter, coconut milk, garlic powder, lots of curry, salt, rosemary or basil, a little allspice, and then your onions and peppers. If you like your soups thick, add a little less water.

It may not sound too odd but i have gotten some looks when i've brought it up before.
edit on 25-5-2014 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   
My dad who grew up during the great depression had Spanish onion and cold baked bean sadwiches. Pretty darn good to I love em

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   
One of those crappy, cheap Totino's pepperoni pizzas with a can of pulpo...that's Mexican for octopus, with pineapple chunks and habanero sauce. Good as it gets, when you haven't eaten in three days.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Ashishin_no1

That actually sounds great! I am going to try this.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   
After reading the first few recipes, I came to the conclusion you must have a tough stomach to read anymore posts. lol

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I've made some delicious gumbo out of whatever was available. A good roux is where you start. Toast flour in a skillet until it has a nice smell. Turn the heat down and add butter until you get something that looks like peanut butter. Put it aside. Boil whatever you can gather...fish, turtles, birds, snakes, armadillo, squirrel, etc. into a broth and debone. Sautee some onion and bell pepper. Add it to the mix. Throw in some rice and add your roux as a thickener. Spice to taste. If done skillfully, this is the best food that exists.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Here is a nice simple one for those that like onion on their pizza. Instead of onion or you can have that too, add sauerkraut as a topping. If one didn't know better, they would think their pizza had a extra helping of a very lite onion.

It taste really great if you let it get a little toasted.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Love this thread!
Here's some of my favorites that I regularly use:

1. The 'Elvis': Toast some bread, add mayo, peanut butter (make it crunchy, baby), BACON & sliced banana.

2. The 'Broke-ass College Student': Pack of Ramen noodles (any flavor), cook it up with a pad of butter, add an egg to the pot and a big helping of peanut butter (like 3 tablespoons) - then hit it with some real stinky fish sauce and whatever else you have in the fridge that's about to spoil: probably some breakfast sausage or bacon (yes, bacon), maybe that left-over piece of fried Cod & french fries or potatoes from the fish & chips you didn't finish at the restuarant last week (I aways try to add asparagus or some type of green for color and texture) - and VOILA: you have a sort of make-shift 'Egg-Drop Pad-Thai Gumbo' that actually tastes great & will save your starving ass when you're in a pinch. Goes great with really crusty bread.

3. The 'I must have been drunk...' : Fry up about 4 slices of pork liver pate (liver-wurst) and combine with a tin of mustard sardines. Add a tablespoon of Mayo and a shot of Sriracha: use a fork to appropriately break up the fried liver and the sardine spines into whatever texture is reasonable for your palate. In the meantime, deep-fry one or two habenero peppers for a second or two in some vegetable oil so that they become tender: these chop and incorporate into your liver-fish-mayo-dish. This you may spread between two pieces of Rye toast and lettuce, maybe a slice of extra sharp cheddar chz. Tastes great, and the spice is perfect if you enjoy habenero peppers (if not, try something more mild like a green chile).

4. The 'Aztec' : For a drink I take some cocoa powder (or one of those gross instant-cocoa packets), brown-sugar, three pinches cayanne pepper, white chocolate, and chocolate hazelnut milk - incorporate all of the ingredients in a pot over some heat; when thoroughly mixed and all that, go ahead and strain through a wire mesh - add a touch of nutmeg and you have a spicy holiday drink (go ahead and add a candy-cane, a shot of butterscotch snapps & some whiskey).

xox,
-kissy

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: minusinfinity

Jonny's Vanilla Spotted Dick (it's normal Spotted Dick with vanilla added...)

ingredients
1/2 cup mixed currants and golden raisins or other assorted dried fruit
1/2 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Suet pastry dough
Custard sauce
Special equipment: 1-quart ceramic pudding mold
preparation

Fill a large heavy pot (at least 8 inches across by 6 inches deep, with a tight-fitting lid) with 1 1/2 inches water. Make a platform for pudding by setting metal cookie cutters or egg-poaching rings in bottom of pot. Knead fruit and zest into dough and form dough into a ball. Put into well-buttered pudding mold and flatten top. Top dough with a round of buttered wax paper, buttered side down, and cover top of mold with heavy-duty foil, crimping tightly around edge.

Bring water in pot to a boil and set mold on platform. Steam pudding, covered, over simmering water 1 1/2 to 2 hours (add more boiling water to pot if necessary), or until golden and puffed. Transfer pudding in mold to a rack and let stand 5 minutes. Discard foil and wax paper and run a thin knife around edge of pudding. Invert a plate over mold, then invert pudding onto plate. Serve immediately with custard sauce.

cooks' note:
Coarsely chop any large pieces of dried fruit.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Okay, I'll bite. My mother makes this, and I still make this for myself:

-1 frozen eggo waffle
-1 strawberry jam (or any jam with no seeds)
-1 kraft single

Toast the eggo waffle, and spread the jam/jelly on it. Top the waffle with the Kraft cheese single and microwave for 20-30 seconds (or until the cheese melts).

Enjoy!

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 03:51 AM
link   
i have 3

warning: high cholesterol.

boil potatoes till soft, peel and dice them up into hash browns.
fry hashbrowns.
fry up some scrambled eggs, use milk to thin them while cooking if you don't like rubbery eggs
salt and pepper to taste.
put the hashbrowns on a plate.
place the scrambled eggs on top.
lay 3-4 strips of smoked lox on top of the eggs.
cover the lox with sour cream.
eat.

----

heat up a cookie sheet pan of waffle fries in the oven.
after nearly done cooking, top with cheddar cheese and allow to melt.
remove from oven.

in a bowl, add a heaping helping of barbecue sauce, preferably a high quality sauce
then place a dollop of real mayonnaise in the middle.

use the bbq / mayo as a dipping sauce or topping for the waffle fries.

----

bake biscuits
take sockeye red salmon from a can and mix it with crushed saltine crackers with your hand. mush it up like your kneading bread dough.
break an egg into the mix and mush it further.
make into patties.
fry the patties in a fry pan with butter. remove from pan when golden brown on top and bottom.
take the grease and residue left over from cooking the patties, and mix in a bit of flour and milk, to create a white sauce. stir till a gravy like consistency.

place the patties and biscuits on a plate and top with white sauce.

edit on 26-5-2014 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Beans and bacon cheese on toast with marmite.

You will need: Heinz baked beans, chopped chedder cheese, marmite, copped crispy bacon, bread, butter.

Put beans in bowl add chopped bacon stir and microwave till pretty hot. Toast bread and butter, while hot spread marmite evenly. Pour some (not too much!) of the hot beans and bacon on the marmite toast then add chopped chedder to the top.

Grill till cheese has melted. Okay not exactly gross but one of my fave snacks. Some good ideas in here, i might do some experimenting

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 05:00 AM
link   
a reply to: minusinfinity

Not crazy but soft blue-vein brie soaked in maple syrup.

Not as sweet as chocolate but really creamy/ melt-in-the-mouth.

Also, kumara (a new Zealand native sweet potato), finely mashed with milk & a tablespoon of molasses.
edit on 26/5/2014 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   
This dish is called Kalie Mahi a delicious fish stew from southern Iran.To make it you need to fry some fish fillet with garlic onions and spices (curry powder,turmeric,cumen and chili papers) Then chop and fry some fresh leeks,basil,tarragon and parsley.Mix the fish and the herbs add some tamarine, dash of lemon juice ,tea spoon of honey,salt and pepper and a big glass of water or better yet some white wine.Let simmer for about an hour and half in a low heat until it is saucy like .stir frequently.serve with basmati rice and cucumber yoghurt or cole slaw....Life is good.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: shapur
This dish is called Kalie Mahi a delicious fish stew from southern Iran.To make it you need to fry some fish fillet with garlic onions and spices (curry powder,turmeric,cumen and chili papers) Then chop and fry some fresh leeks,basil,tarragon and parsley.Mix the fish and the herbs add some tamarine, dash of lemon juice ,tea spoon of honey,salt and pepper and a big glass of water or better yet some white wine.Let simmer for about an hour and half in a low heat until it is saucy like .stir frequently.serve with basmati rice and cucumber yoghurt or cole slaw....Life is good.

dang that sounds good.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Putting cocktail weanies in a crockpot with grape jelly sounds disgusting, but it's actually a pretty tasty party favorite.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: shapur

We actually make something similar to that here with some of the same spices that you mentioned, but we use trout, local honey and ramps(wild garlic-like plant that grows in the spring). I'm not big on most fish, especially trout, but it's good.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join