It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

holy sh!t... check out this email I got

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 10:44 AM
link   
What a scam!

Dear Paypal Customer

This e-mail is the notification of recent innovations taken by PayPal to detect inactive customers and non-functioning mailboxes.

The inactive customers are subject to restriction and removal in the next 3 months.

Please confirm your email address and and Credit Card info number by logging in to your PayPal account using the form below:

Email Address:
Password:
Full Name #:
Credit Card #:
Exp.Date(mm/yyyy) #:
ATM PIN (For Bank Verification) #:

This notification expires May 31, 2003

Thanks for using PayPal!

This PayPal notification was sent to your mailbox. Your PayPal account is set up to receive the PayPal Periodical newsletter and product updates when you create your account. To modify your notification preferences and unsubscribe, go to www.paypal.com... and log in to your account. Changes to your preferences may take several days to be reflected in our mailings. Replies to this email will not be processed.

If you previously asked to be excluded from Providian product offerings and solicitations, they apologize for this e-mail. Every effort was made to ensure that you were excluded from this e-mail. If you do not wish to receive promotional e-mail from Providian, go to removeme.providian.com...

Copyright� 2002 PayPal Inc. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 10:46 AM
link   
thats not a scam!

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 10:51 AM
link   
So you would just send back that email with your name, creditcard number and PIN number??

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Are the thieves, scam artists and con men just getting lazy or what???? I mean come on guys, you're not even trying to be sneaky with that kind of sh*t.

But what is really sad, is I'll bet there is atleast a few idiots out there who will fall for this or even worse. In a way you almost can't even blame the cheats and liars anymore, some people are almost begging to be taken advantage of.

link   
Some people are so wide its unbelievable. I keep getting ones from some guy in Africa wanting to give me $30 million. I wrote back askng for a downpayment as a sign of good will but he never got back to me.

link   

Originally posted by JCDenton
thats not a scam!

Sure it is.

No self-respecting e-commerce service would use an e-mail based form.

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 10:54 AM
link   
You should contact paypal and notify them.

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 11:40 AM
link   
i got the same email, but it was sent to an email account that i dont even have signed up with paypal. I didnt get the email sent to my actual paypal email address.. so yea, i wouldnt give them any information heh.

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 11:43 AM
link   
i just notified paypal.

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 11:47 AM
link   
"Users of the online payment service PayPal have been hit with a scam to steal passwords, and ultimately cash. PayPal has taken steps to fight the scam, but as "Tech Live" reports tonight, critics say the company should have warned its users more thoroughly to never release password information."

"An email sent to PayPal users requested a reply with the user's password. With the subject line "PayPal Verification," the email asked for the user name, password, and credit card number and expiration date."

www.techtv.com...

Definitely a scam.

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Obviously a Scam.
I got the same email a couple of days ago. I just deleted it and blocked the address so I dont get any more mail from them.

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Date: 29 Jan 2003 12:23:41 -0000
Subject: URGENT REPLY!!!
To: [email protected]

IMMEDIATE ATTENTION NEEDED: HIGHLY CONFIDENTIAL

DEAR SIR / MADAM,

I AM GEORGE WALKER BUSH, SON OF THE FORMER PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA GEORGE HERBERT WALKER BUSH, AND CURRENTLY SERVING AS PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. THIS LETTER MIGHT SURPRISE YOU BECAUSE WE HAVE NOT MET NEITHER IN PERSON NOR BY CORRESPONDENCE. I CAME TO KNOW OF YOU IN MY SEARCH FOR A RELIABLE AND REPUTABLE PERSON TO HANDLE A VERY CONFIDENTIAL BUSINESS TRANSACTION, WHICH INVOLVES THE TRANSFER OF A HUGE SUM OF MONEY TO AN ACCOUNT REQUIRING MAXIMUM CONFIDENCE.

[[[ --- 4 paragraphs later --- ]]]

MY FAMILY IS CALLING FOR YOUR URGENT ASSISTANCE IN FUNDING THE REMOVAL OF THE PRESIDENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF IRAQ AND ACQUIRING THE PETROLEUM ASSETS OF HIS COUNTRY, AS COMPENSATION FOR THE COSTS OF REMOVING HIM FROM POWER. UNFORTUNATELY, OUR PARTNERS FROM 1991 ARE NOT WILLING TO SHOULDER THE BURDEN OF THIS NEW VENTURE, WHICH IN ITS UPCOMING PHASE MAY COST THE SUM OF 100 BILLION TO 200 BILLION DOLLARS ($100,000,000,000 - $200,000,000,000), BOTH IN THE INITIAL ACQUISITION AND IN LONG-TERM MANAGEMENT.

[[[ --- 1 paragraph later --- ]]]

I WOULD BESEECH YOU TO TRANSFER A SUM EQUALING TEN TO TWENTY-FIVE PERCENT (10-25%) OF YOUR YEARLY INCOME TO OUR ACCOUNT TO AID IN THIS IMPORTANT VENTURE. THE INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA WILL FUNCTION AS OUR TRUSTED INTERMEDIARY. I PROPOSE THAT YOU MAKE THIS TRANSFER BEFORE THE FIFTEENTH (15TH) OF THE MONTH OF APRIL.

Now, if this isn't a scam, then I'm a woman with 9 legs and 22 arms.
What I found funniest was that this is such a "highly confidential" transaction, that they decided to send it to 2600!

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 01:45 PM
link   
WOW, what are these people thinking.

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Its obvious that's a scam. Bush cannot spell that well, plus his grammar sucks.

LOBO, would you mind forwarding that e-mail to me please? Thanks.

XAOS

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 05:30 AM
link   
"Sure it is.
No self-respecting e-commerce service would use an e-mail based form."

YOU THOUGHT I WAS BEING SERIOUS!??!!

posted on May, 31 2003 @ 08:29 AM
link   
seems like ebay have been hit in the same manner as the paypal people.

www.guardian.co.uk...

(although if you listen to leveller everything published in the paper is lies and should be read for amusement only
)

posted on May, 31 2003 @ 08:32 AM
link   
yes, and i also got the exact same email again, but this time they were wanting my nochex account info. but i dont use nochex.

posted on May, 31 2003 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I got exactly the same e-mail sent to my ATS e-mail account. I thought it was a mix up and that it was meant for admin at ATS so I thought no more of it. Well done Zion Mainframe
For bringing it to our attention this acts as a good warning to others that these scams do end up in our e-mail inbox's and to not be gullible.

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I received the same email correspondence a few days ago as well. As a result, I notified PayPal and consequently received an autoresponse email from them stating that their fraud department would research the matter. Since then, I have not received any further information.

Particularly due to the section of the email that asks for the ATM PIN number, it is obviously without a doubt a scam as was reported by Tech TV. ProudAmerican posted the Link to Tech TV on his Post to this thread.
Also PayPal has a pending Class Action Lawsuit for not responding to customer complaints and handling of their accounts. PayPal has 13 Million Customers...I wonder how many responded to this Scam??

[Edited on 1-6-2003 by RealFlight]

posted on Jun, 5 2003 @ 12:15 PM
link   
just found this in my inbox...

From [email protected] Wed May 28 20:45:39 2003
Return-Path:
Received: from cerebellum.nationhosts.com (nationhosts.com [66.227.104.219])
by rootshell.be (8.11.5/8.11.5) with ESMTP id h4SIjcd13131
for ; Wed, 28 May 2003 20:45:38 +0200
Received: from nobody by cerebellum.nationhosts.com with local (Exim 3.36 #1)
id 19L5vo-0006xF-00
for [email protected]; Wed, 28 May 2003 14:45:48 -0400
To: [email protected]
Subject: Dear NOCHEX Customer
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
Reply-To: [email protected]
Message-Id:
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 14:45:48 -0400
X-AntiAbuse: This header was added to track abuse, please include it with any abuse report
X-AntiAbuse: Primary Hostname - cerebellum.nationhosts.com
X-AntiAbuse: Original Domain - rootshell.be
X-AntiAbuse: Originator/Caller UID/GID - [99 99] / [99 99]
X-AntiAbuse: Sender Address Domain - cerebellum.nationhosts.com
X-DCC-wanadoo-be-Metrics: phenix.rootshell.be 1023; IP=0 env_From=0 From=0
Subject=0 Message-ID=0 Received=0 Body=1 Fuz1=1
X-Status:
X-Keywords:

Dear NOCHEX Customer

This e-mail is the notification of recent innovations taken by NOCHEX to detect inactive customers and non-functioning mailboxes.

The inactive customers are subject to restriction and removal in the next 3 months.

Please confirm your email address and and Credit Card info number by logging in to your NOCHEX account using the form below:

Email Address:
Password:
Full Name :
Card Type: Visa/Delta/Electron MasterCard/Eurocard Discover American Express Switch Solo
Credit Card #:
Exp.Date(mm/yyyy) #:
Card Verification
Number: (3 digits, on back of card)

This notification expires May 31, 2003

Thanks for using NOCHEX!

Copyright� 2002 NOCHEX Inc. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.

join