It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you like flying?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Simple topic. But seriously, do people even LIKE it? Or is it just seen as a necessary evil to get from point A to point B?
I absolutely hate it. I was so excited the first time I got to fly (and that was a month ago) but it was not what I expected. Uncomfortable seats, loud engine noise, nausea and leftover motion sickness that lasted for several days. And yes, I puked on the plane. There actually came a point that I hoped we would just hurry up and crash just so I could be put out of my misery.

My fiance and sister have both flown and while neither suffered the same sickness I did, both don't care for it. Neither do my parents. In fact, now that I've stopped to think about it, I haven't met a single person who does like it.

Still waiting for flying saucers with their fancy stabilized internal gravity to become the new form of travel.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 05:14 AM
link   
I don't mind flying, and I have done a fair bit of it over the years , in both planes and helicopters. Long haul in the cheap seats is a pain, especially if you are on the taller or broader side. The part that I find the worst is all the stuff you have to go through these days just to get in your seat. The security checks take ages, there never seems to be enough personnel at the check points, so you have to get to the airport hours in advance of your flight taking off. Getting through customs and immigration at the other end can also be a pain. The actual flying on the whole doesn't bother me. I even actually quiet like the feeling of leaving the ground. I don't suffer from travel sickness like you, so that probably helps. However, if you think travel sickness is bad, wait until you get blocked sinus problems from the pressure in the cabin, it will make you feel like your head is about to explode.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 05:25 AM
link   
I don't fly nearly often enough for it to be a major concern.

But I flew to Oz once, and with the same airline of that missing plane.

So, I'm in no hurry to repeat the experience, thank you.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I absolutely cannot sleep on planes.

I wish there was a Mr T option where they sedate you and pop you in a overhead compartment. Id opt for that every time if there was such an option.

I have friends in Australia but im # scared of going there because 24 hours on a plane is just the most daunting thing i can think of. But then i usually fly alone, maybe if i had a pal with me it would'nt be so horrible. But for solo flights? Knock me out and leave me sleep, please.

EDIT: and to answer the title question NO I DO NOT LIKE FLYING. I end up all raspy and dry and irritated and im always sat next to several fat men and a baby. ARRRRUGH

edit on b4141534 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 05:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Robohamster
Simple topic. But seriously, do people even LIKE it? Or is it just seen as a necessary evil to get from point A to point B?
I absolutely hate it. I was so excited the first time I got to fly (and that was a month ago) but it was not what I expected. Uncomfortable seats, loud engine noise, nausea and leftover motion sickness that lasted for several days. And yes, I puked on the plane. There actually came a point that I hoped we would just hurry up and crash just so I could be put out of my misery.

My fiance and sister have both flown and while neither suffered the same sickness I did, both don't care for it. Neither do my parents. In fact, now that I've stopped to think about it, I haven't met a single person who does like it.

Still waiting for flying saucers with their fancy stabilized internal gravity to become the new form of travel.

I love flying. I've flown business class my first time and was hooked.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 06:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: horseatemymoney
I don't mind flying, and I have done a fair bit of it over the years , in both planes and helicopters. Long haul in the cheap seats is a pain, especially if you are on the taller or broader side. The part that I find the worst is all the stuff you have to go through these days just to get in your seat. The security checks take ages, there never seems to be enough personnel at the check points, so you have to get to the airport hours in advance of your flight taking off. Getting through customs and immigration at the other end can also be a pain. The actual flying on the whole doesn't bother me. I even actually quiet like the feeling of leaving the ground. I don't suffer from travel sickness like you, so that probably helps. However, if you think travel sickness is bad, wait until you get blocked sinus problems from the pressure in the cabin, it will make you feel like your head is about to explode.

Where as I feel exactly the same as you
You missed out on one, the child

sitting in the seat behind you constantly poking their feet into the back of your

seat
and the parent apparently oblivious ?? to the fact.

I just love the take off feeling! Maybe we should fly together?

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Love flying its great .. even parachuted in my younger days .. got some of my best sleep in-flight ..

Hate going through the security bovine fecal matter at airports these days .. at least here in asia dont get molested .. no way will I visit the states due the t(erorrist) s(tate) a(gency) at airports .. dont think theyd appreciate my reaction to being molested by state sponsored thugs ..

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I remember flying back when it was really fun! Meals, drinks, movies - being waited on hand and foot and treated like a valued customer... I'm glad I had that time. But I will never fly again. I can't imagine a scenario where I'd choose to fly. I haven't flown for probably 15 years. I don't miss what it has become.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I loved flying many years ago. Sadly in a profession I saw the tragedy of mishaps/crashes. Several. That said, I feel uncomfortable without an escape..i.e. Ejection seat or strapped to a parachute with a means of escape. (Ex navy). Later in life (another profession) I experienced a couple of civilian air accidents that I attended to investigate.

In some of those circumstances I imagined punching out with an Escapac before the plane impacted. I feel the fear in the air now (but still fly domestically) of dropping without a means of escape. I say this as I know some leave messages on their phones just prior to their finality.

I never want to have to do that.

To get rid of these feelings I get pissed, fall asleep and wake up after landing. I do fear flying but it is in cases a necessity to get from point A to B quickly.

Regards

Bally
edit on 21-5-2014 by bally001 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I can't say that I "like" flying, but I do like Ohio- Vegas in 4 hours. Or Ohio- Miami in 2 and a half hours. That being said, one does have to come to terms with their own mortality every time you fly. I know I'm a nervous wreck from first acceleration to final reverse thrust. And a clean landing to me is like a new lease on life lol. I have driven across country before, but I won't again now that I've started flying. I have six flights under my belt and two more planned in September.✈

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   
There is nothing more wasteful of our resources and destructive to the environment than flying.

Otherwise conscientious people, once a year, set fire to a drum of kerosene in the name of recreation.

My childhood love of flying has come full circle, to the point where I will never get on an airliner again.

I travel by sailboats for adventure and bicycle for convenience.

If necessary, I will drive my 10 year old Toyota.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Flying...

BOAC VC-10 to London, aged eight. Those were the days Benevolent Heretic talked about, when the airlines were still competing with ocean liners. Felt like a little prince. Longhaul in those days meant many stops along the way and I cried at every descent because my ears hurt, but it was like a new world opening up. In fact, that's just what it was.

Business class to Hong Kong when Kai Tak was the airport. Anybody remember that? Hairpin turn a few hundred feet above the Peak, then down a canyon lined with skyscrapers to land on a narrow finger of runway sticking out into the harbour. We landed at one o'clock in the morning on our third time round — there was a typhoon blowing, you see.

Kathmandu to Pokhara in a twin-prop Dornier 228. Magnificent view of the Himalayas catching the sunset to starboard. Then into a big black wall of thundercloud. Bright flashes, lots of loud crashes. Plane tilts over 90 degrees to port and falls like a stone. Recover and scoot along under the cloud cover till Pokhara Lake comes in sight. Land in time to see the last of the sunset from a rowboat on the lake.

Over the central hills of Sri Lanka in a helicopter on a photo mission. Waltzing about among the mountains at just above treetop height, getting chucked about in turbulence, zooming along with the chopper's early-morning shadow almost life-size on the mountain beside you. Freezing cold. The forest canopy patched with bright colours where the trees are in bloom, tropical birds scooting about. High golden plains full of deer and antelope, herds of them stampeding at the sound of our engines. So much beauty it would break your heart. Breakfast an hour later in a roadside café in the hills.

Been taking planes all my life. Hate the cattle-car experience of modern economy-class flying just like everybody else does. But don't judge the whole of flying by that loathsome experience.

I don't get airsick.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Psynic

There is nothing more wasteful of our resources and destructive to the environment than flying...

If necessary, I will drive my 10 year old Toyota.

Heh heh.

My Toyota's ten years old too. What model's yours?

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Robohamster

Do you like flying?

I wish I had a choice but my business requires travel.

Flying on a commercial carrier has become like a Greyhound bus with squalling kids, stinking bums and drunks.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   

I LOVE flying. I wish I could live on a plane. I even think turbulence is fun. You will always see me with a huge smile when the plane is rocking and shuttering. People look at me and I laugh more from their reaction. I think I would laugh out loud if we were about to crash.

I had one lady get really pissed at me one time because it seemed like I was laughing at her while she was freaking out. I didnt bother to explain since it would have sounded weird. I just kept laughing while the turbulence got worse and she freaked out more.

LOL

I love flying. My biggest frustrated dream is becoming a pilot. I dont know if I have it in me to learn and find work as one but it is my dream. I am a waiter who dreams of flying. So unfulfilled.....lol

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

You sound like me, once upon a time.

Then I got a conscience.

Now I fly a vertical wing in the form of a mast and sail.

The aerodynamics remain the same, but my Karma is much improved.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Love it just hate airport security LOL
Just got back from Florida and took my grand-daughter flying she 13
what a day much better then Disney or Leo Land LOL

Here just getting ready

Here co-pilot doing close formation flying awesome

Here i'm getting ready to do a left-hand dive run on a target i pick on the lake

Here i'm getting ready to do a right-hand dive run on a target i pick on the lake

Here the grand-daughter doing a roll over us with her co-pilot instruction

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Psynic

You sound like me, once upon a time.

Then I got a conscience. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Its not that I am laughing at people. I may just be nervous and this is how I express it. I usually laugh when faced with a difficult or dangerous situation. Then I see people´s puzzled response at my reaction and then I laugh at that too.

I am not enjoying their discomfort, I just think my mortality is funny.

edit on 5 21 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

To me there are a few definitions of "flying". The one you are referring to is nothing more than a packed bus with wings that goes through the air. The more enjoyable kind of flying is where you are by yourself in a glider and have total control.

Still kinda cramped, though. And no food service.

One time I was on a United flight and sat next to a girl who HAD to be a fashion model. I rather enjoyed that flight. She was not chatty at all, though.

edit on 21-5-2014 by ScientiaFortisDefendit because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Flying technically is OK. Its just the people that have control of all the aspects of flying. It starts the moment you enter the airport. Control, control, control. You are treated less than cattle,parking or being dropped off, checking in, security and passport checks, ticket checks and that's before you're even on the plane. Then when boarding the"trolley dollies" pretend to be helpful while herding you too your seat,which unless you're a child is cramped and to add insult to injury everyone else is cramped in on top of you. Oh crap I could go on about the flight and what happens when you get to your destination but I'm losing the will to live. All of the above does not count if you are rich then you are treated like a god.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join