It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reality T.V.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Survivor, The Apprentice, Fear Factor... these shows, and others like them have become HUGE in the previous years. What are the chances that these shows are actual reality? In my opinion, not very good. Another question... how much do the companies that produce these shows make? One final question, how much do these shows actually pay out the participants?

Survivor -- Give me a break! How are these people supposed to live in the elements with a full, well-fed camera crew following them around 24/7? You really think they are going to let these 'survivors' die? I want to see some real survivor. Dress a bunch of computer programmers in Phat Farm and see how long they can last in Queens...

The Apprentice -- Look at that guys hair! How many companies does he really have that he can let some guy off the streets manage? Seems pretty high risk to me.

Fear Factor -- C'mon now, when was the last time you drove a car through a barn, hit a ramp, and see who goes the furthest?

I want to see reality T.V.. Let's see how many dirty diapers a dead-beat dad can change in five minutes. Stuff real people do. Reality! Not some money making scam to draw audiences.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I want the true life of Mods. Can we pitch it to a network?

Mac, you can be the first installment.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Yeah, I hate reality TV. About driving a car through a barn on Fear Factor, I'm sure people have done that. I bet they get a lot of their ideas from the lower end of the gene pool.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 11:37 AM
link   
No it wont be long til a guy from the Ozarks lands himself on 233rd st with an order to yell out "Punk azz bitch". Now thats a SHOW!

Its just the next big thing until the next big thing comes along..TV follows trends. I think those computer animation movies are going to take over hollywood and make real actors obselete. Only their voices will be famous.

"Hey thats the fish from..."!
or
"Thats Donkey!"

And no more dumb B movies just action packed cartoons !

YES!

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Being in the UK, i have never heard of the programmes you mention.

We do have our own reality programmes. One being called Big Brother and the other one called (stupidly) I'm a celebrity, get me out of here.

As you say, to survive with the basic means is a good show. But the producers will not let people come to any harm.

The big brother show is based in a house , were we can watch the daily goings on etc.

The other show i mentioned is based in the Australian jungle, where celebrities have to do certain tasks to win food.
Pretty mind numbing stuff really.

The celebrities are second rate who are trying to make a come back.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Reality is boring. No one would watch it. Reality has just come to mean unscripted, but guided and manufactured. If it's entertaining, then fine, but at least know what you're watching.

My favorite "reality" show is the ever hilarious America's Next Top Model. You take a bunch of diva-like models, throw in a few self image problems, and let them go at each other. Name calling, fighting, crying, primping, ohmigods, crossdressing fashion gurus, men in makeup, has-been supermodels, eating disorders, gluttony, pride, loose jiggly flesh, and a blind chick on a glittery runway. Now THAT's fun to watch.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 11:56 AM
link   
well, the use of reality tv is, that you don�t have to take real part of it..you already say that they watched everytime by staff..also terrible are the massive amount of talkshows, where most embarrassingly people take part and talking about stuff that doesn�t really matter..

I�ll think that reality tv is a swelling from the sates T.V. community, most people enjoy watching other people get hurt or eating fulsome critters..If you need that, than book a ticket to Colombia and make a jungle holiday with all accessorys

These shows are such unreal, think about the disaster, which would happen, if the member who take part, haven�t a sound basis.

Next time the make a reality prison with volunteer captives and volunteer "caretaker",
this going to a psychological calamity

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by MacKiller
Survivor -- Give me a break! How are these people supposed to live in the elements with a full, well-fed camera crew following them around 24/7? You really think they are going to let these 'survivors' die? I want to see some real survivor. Dress a bunch of computer programmers in Phat Farm and see how long they can last in Queens...

That one almost made me fall off my chair... I've always wanted a Survivor Detroit to happen... Send a bus full of white folk down into Cass Corridor and another bus full over by City Airport. Whoever lives the longest wins! Those are the most racist/dangerous parts of the city, by the way.

And because "reality" tv isn't all that real is the reason I refuse to watch any of it. It's all just a bullsquash, moneymaking scam!

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   
(great discussion, but shifting it to the TV area)

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by MacKiller
Survivor, The Apprentice, Fear Factor... these shows, and others like them have become HUGE in the previous years. What are the chances that these shows are actual reality? In my opinion, not very good. Another question... how much do the companies that produce these shows make? One final question, how much do these shows actually pay out the participants?

The Apprentice -- Look at that guys hair! How many companies does he really have that he can let some guy off the streets manage? Seems pretty high risk to me.

Fear Factor -- C'mon now, when was the last time you drove a car through a barn, hit a ramp, and see who goes the furthest?

I want to see reality T.V.. Let's see how many dirty diapers a dead-beat dad can change in five minutes. Stuff real people do. Reality! Not some money making scam to draw audiences.

Had some problems finding this thread again Mac but thanks to Spectre's help with some log in and searching problems I can now answer this. I had seen it weeks ago, just did not know how to use search and rather then ask I just struggled, sorry bout that.

Ok now to answer some of your questions most reality shows cost around 800,000 per show with one exception and that is Apprentice that runs 2 million a showl. Several sites did state the costs are expected to go up simply because they are gaining pupularity, Why I do not know. I hate them and not affraid to say so.

As for the one a diapers, well I can go you one better then that. Just heard about this one last week or the week before. It orignates in the UK and get this it takes place in the Bedroom of husbands and wifes.. Yes I kid you not. Do a search on google using reality bedroom and the other major key words you know what they are. I tried to find a link to post however what turned up was not for posting as I see it. I could be wrong however I know the forum rules are held to a very high standard and I do not care to break any of them.

Just had to let you know about that one since it is new and has more then diapers

Honestly here we do not watch any of them, well I should say I do not with one exceptio that that is the apprentice which my wife likes. I can tolerate it and do watch it when I am in the family room with her on Thursday nites, but most of the time in the Den I have Histroy , PBS, Discovery or anything enducational in general.

If asked what I think about reality TV in General;I would have to say it sucks big time. Nothng worse then the examples you gave which were very good examples, I.e. Landing on a rolling, truck just to see who can go
farther and as you pointed out eating worms etc.

Come on world what is going on? We do not need this kind of #$@%@

Give us some good Old fashioned modern day Westners if nothing else it is better then watcing people trying to kill them self in public for a fast buck.

Boy I am willing to bet thos release wavers they sign are ten miles long.

[edit on 12/8/2004 by shots]

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   
personally, there are a couple of Reality Shows that I enjoy...

Survivor: the Machievellian politics are quite entertaining...

Those "split up the couple" shows: (Paradise Hotel, Temptation Island, etc.) just a guilty pleasure...

I want the true life of Mods. Can we pitch it to a network?

You can always watch me on my Reality TV episode "A Wedding Story", hehe... It airs again on TLC (The Learning Channel), Dec 21st, 11 am est...
Title is "Chris and Wendy" (i.e. me and my wife)

EDIT: actually I think the title is "Wendy and Chris"...

[edit on 8-12-2004 by Gazrok]

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 05:53 PM
link   
CAn you believe I have never heard of one of the shows you mentioned. I will however watch TLC on the date indicated.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I'm an odd fellow...

I enjoy shows like Survivor, but I could just as easily be seen watching a good documentary on TLC, TDC, NG, etc. especially if it's about Egypt, Atlantis, UFOs, or world history, art, WWII, etc.

Most shows I like are Sci Fi, such as Smallville, but there are a couple of dramas I watch too (love CSI). A mixed bag really...

Most people like to snub their noses at reality tv...maybe so they can feel all high brow, I don't know. To me, Reality tv is like the dessert to my meat and potatoes shows. Sure, if you ONLY ate desserts, you'd be as big as a house. Likewise, if you ONLY watched reality tv, maybe you'd be as dumb as a stump, I don't know. But, a little cheese is good every now and then I think, hehe...

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I am like you, I also enjoy CSI and love History Channel, Discovery Old war movies. My favorite is Munk unfortunately they only make 6 or so episodes a year. Wish History channel would have expaned the Horatio Hornblower series that was great acting and made a fine mini series. Unfortunately they dropped it after the first five shows could have been 6 but that only covered Hornblowers midshipman years so had they expanded the series it could have covered his making captain, getting married falling in love, wifes death, having a son and his treks into Russia etc as the original movie portrayed.

:bash: Note the guy on the left is the producer of those shows I like that get cancelled.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I can't stand reality TV. The other day, I go to an old friends house to do... eeeh... some transaction... So we're all in the living room, waiting for someone to arrive. Then I think "Hey, I might stay a little, after all, I haven't seen these people in some time... " Then this reality show that I despise begins (local show, u can't know it). So I start telling how all this is stupid and ask if someone can change the channel. To my surprise (and more despisment) everybody like to watch that, and don't wanna miss tonight's episode. That's when I thought "Crap, why isn't that delivery guy here yet, I'm outta here as soon as I have what I wanted..."

Or the other day, I go to some place for my job. Then there was like 4 people all talking about what happenned on the last Big Brother episode. They were discussing and analysing all the participants. I was like "Get a freaking life, u losers!"

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
That's the whole thing!!! They're not real. They're all set up. That's why they're a joke. They're like new age soap operas or something. I don't understand the hundreds of millions that watch this crap. You can literally feel your brain deteriorate when you watch them.

Peace

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Crap Crap Crap

I absolutely despise reality contests. And I say contests for a reason. Reality shows like Mythbusters or American Chopper are great programming. Not the contest shows like Survivor or Trading Spouses. ABC Wednesdays and FOX Fridays are the only place you can find scripted programming.

Whats worse is that everybody loves them. And always the people are always bickering. Did the contestants have to take a whining test or what?

Design shows are becoming popular too. But why, is it because people would rater watch some one paint a room than to have the experience themselves.
The Reality Contests are an Abhorrence

[edit on 31-12-2004 by Vegemite]

new topics

top topics

join