It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Piano under my room

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: minkmouse

Maybe it's time for you to take up tap dancing?

I feel your pain but when you live in multi-family dwellings you have to put up with some things you may not like. At least the kid isn't playing late at night.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 11:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Goteborg

Maybe it's time for you to take up tap dancing?

I feel your pain but when you live in multi-family dwellings you have to put up with some things you may not like. At least the kid isn't playing late at night.

Ima gonna put clogs on my cats! (Yosemite Sam voice)

I've run into something I don't like and I've tried to work it out diplomatically and consequently been told to move.
edit on 29-4-2014 by minkmouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   

I've been there, I lived in one apartment in my life...one. I had the worst neighbors ever. They were building things in the apartment all hours of the day and night, seriously, I could smell lumber and I heard power tools but of course when I finally convinced the manager to go take a look nothing was going on, their apartment was clean and by clean I mean no power tools, no furniture, no anything. Sure enough, that night, hammering and sawing again. It's been houses for me ever since.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Dude, let's do that right this instance. Check my location info. I will bring my keyboard and miniature synth, haha.

a reply to: randomtangentsrme

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   

The acid idea is not bad but your risking alot over some damn kid.
I would be looking into the laws about this as you mentioned.
Surely there have been plenty other people in your position, Just need to find out how they dealt with it.

Mate, If they are playing a piano i would think most other instruments would be ok.
You have tried white noise? Or i believe there is some clause or law somewhere that states your entilted to quiet enjoyment time.. Talk to a lawyer about this...

Unless you can find something you can do to pisss them off then perhaps you can come to a agreement.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:34 AM
link   
If his timing sucks then start playing what he's playing back at him on your piano...except with the correct timing...
Dueling pianos

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Sir, there is only one solution, catch cockroaches and when the kid is playing, go down the stairs and put them under the neighbors door, easy enough

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I feel sorry for my neighbors sometimes. I turn it up to 11. I think they've become used to it. They used to complain that their whole place vibrated. I think they like it now!!

There's nothing you can do but move. Or, break in when they're gone and put spray-foam on the strings. That will muffle it for a while. Or, buy the kid a Yamaha PSR with a set of headphones. He may like it better and ditch the piano. Either way, good luck with that situation. Us musicians are hard to deal with sometimes.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Well...Bylaw said they can do nothing, I have to live with it to which I replied there would be nothing they could do if I stopped playing my drums with headphones and got a Roland drum amp, she replied there's nothing they can do. So I got me a Roland PM-10 and drummed all afternoon. Went to see the landlord of the building to ask why I can't play with my cats and a tennis ball without getting shut down. he laughed and said he'd just got a call from the mother, they've had enough, they're moving! Praise Roland!!!!

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Not that I am endorsing this method, but it has worked for me countless times in numerous situations.

NOTE: Talk to the kid before pulling this off, as it is a really dirty way to get back. I only have used this method as a last of the last resort, when all other tactics such as the sledgehammer drop,couch drop, or the "hey, my violin sounds like a dying cat - listen to it on full volume! " method have failed. Use at your own risk

Basic Equipment:
1. An MP3 player/portable CD player/Computer.

2. A set of bluetooth speakers, or speakers that can handle a typical headphone cable (mine are ones that plug into a wall outlet, but have an aux-in cord attached).

3. A Mosquito Ringtone, or high-pitched frequency (you can even make your own with free software like Audacity).

4. Towels, Socks, egg cartons, old shirts, dirty clothes.

Basic Steps:
1. Load the high-pitched tone onto the MP3 player or PC.

2. Plug the MP3 player into the speakers - make sure it is on volume level 0 (otherwise, the speakers might give a burst of static, which betrays the fact that they are there).

3. Position the speakers next to a common wall, above the source of the noise, or an air vent.

4. With the speakers still on level 0 sound, increase the volume on the player till it reaches 100%. Then slowly turn up the volume on the speakers until it is also 100%

5. Place the speakers so that they cover the most area, and cover with the items from #4 to muffle the amount of sound that you hear.

Why this works
1. I actually came up with this idea after reading an article about how one of the Korea's used high-pitched sounds to keep kids from going into parks after dark.

2. The reason I had you pick a high-pitched sound? If you pick one that you can only slightly hear, and the kid is younger than you, then he will be the only one that hears it (all of the older residents in the building will not).

3. If you listen to these sounds long enough, it will give you a headache- think of how annoying the ringing in your ears is.

Extra fun
1. Get a bunch of headphone splitters - Make a surround sound of annoyingness!

2. Leave it on, and then leave the apartment for a short while - when you come back, if the kid is still playing, pretend to have an imaginary call with someone where you're complaining about the high-pitched whining coming from the kid's piano (make sure he or others can hear you). I did this when a guy thought it was a cool idea to play rap at 2:00am - I was sure he knew it was me, but in the morning you'll never guess what I found in the dumpster.

3. For added effect, don't use full volume on the speakers - crank them up when the kid get's louder, and softer when he gets softer.

If you want an added perk to this: You'll make the kid into a conspiracy theorist, because when he complains about hearing things, only you & him will be able to hear them; the noise will show up on a video, but not at a level a normal adult can here.

-fossilera

PS: if you want to fight fire with fun, crank up some form of Opera while he's playing the piano, and do your best to sing it; if they ask, tell them you have decided to take up opera as a hobby, and as part of the regiment, you are required to practice daily for 4 hours, between 4:00pm and 8:00pm. I have yet to pull this off, but I hear it works.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I'm saving that just in case when they leave another piano moves in...This is my second. I drove out the first one playing the John Mayer Trio at 11 but that didn't phase the second batch plus it tilts all my pictures!

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   

I'm in the same boat...similar age, type of residence, neighbour noise.

I complained to my landlord about my neighbour a couple weeks back; but it was obvious from his tone that he held the tenant in high regard and I was this annoying, spiteful curtain-twitcher.

He supposedly had a quiet word with the guy, but no improvement.

Your options are really limited and they are these:

1. Put up with it, bide your time - your neighbour might move.

People constantly come and go in rented apartments; in your case it's a family, and it's reasonable to suppose they would prefer to live in a house at some point. Even if they do though, another neighbour will move in and you could have the same problem again.

2. Fight fire with fire - if they can annoy you with a piano, annoy them with your instruments.

But do it when the piano is playing, to make your point. Bit desperation stakes this and probably wont work (I often find that noisy people are impervious to noise - even your noise - and you'll likely just end up frustrating yourself).

3. Try soundproofing your home.

Problems are: a) You might not be able to do it.
b) The results could be disappointing.

4. Move out.

Undoubtedly the preferred option, despite the temporary inconvenience. But you could run into similar problems in your new home.

I'm considering buying a small caravan and parking it in some quiet field wherever. Should be more peaceful and I'd be able to play my guitar and music through speakers (instead of headphones).

Have chemical toilet, will travel.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Interesting concept. Have any studies been done with regards to how a cat would hear that? I have two and if the math is wrong I could ruin their day potentially.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   
They moved!!!! Subwoofers work

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Is it a legal sublet? With a rental agreement with th e property mgmnt? That may be an issue...not on primary lease or he may have no right to sublet out...therein may be an issue...you may have no legal renter rights????

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: minkmouse
he'll never get famous, just the bomb at cocktail parties he attends with all his other dental hygienist friends.

edit on 18-9-2014 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

<< 1   >>

join