It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Korean pancakes.. super cheap and super good!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
We were hosting a soldier while he was on leave and he's originally South Korean. I made a southern fritter one night for snacks and he mentioned Korean Pancakes he mom used to make... so I watched while he made them. Ate them. Now addicted to them.
Theyre really cheap as far as ingredients and easy as heck to make. I wanted to share with you all.. easy enough for camping food on open fire and a cast iron pan too!
I have a 5 person family so I double and triple this recipe..

2 eggs
1cup flour
1 cup of cold water
some salt
some very small cut up cabbage, onions, green onions/scallions, shallots.. whatever.. or a variety of veg/roots.

beat your egg
add in your water
whisk in your flour
throw in your veg
swirl all that up real good
We used a deep cast iron pan and a bit of oil.. I really like the taste if I use dark sesame oil... get it VERY hot so you can crisp it rather than have a fluffy thing. It just tastes better crisped.
Pour your mixture in the pan to where its pretty even and let it cook to where its easily slid off onto a plate cooked side down and then slide it back into the pan cooked side up. Be careful or youll have a hot oil tsunami.
WHen its nice and cooked.. crispy on ends too... slide it on a cutting board and cut it up like a pizza.
If youre really slick.. flip it .
when you serve it, mix this up for a dipping sauce :
equal parts of soy sauce, white rice vinegar, and dark sesame oil. throw in some minced garlic and chives

***PREPPER HINT****
You can do this with dried long term storage items too.
I experimented with "Ova easy" eggs from Honeyville Farms and freeze dried shallots, green onions, cabbage, and peppers from Nu Harvest foods.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Saved to my bookmarks. I'll recommend next time I'm at a friends, when we're not busy downing tequila

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Sounds nice, looks nice, must be nice.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

That is just so cruel, please remove the pic from your op, its seriously making me want to eat it

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Love those babys, the ex added a japanese twist to it, dried tuna flakes, we also used a mix of mayonaise and bull dog sauce(Hps japanese version), to put on top, so yummy.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
That really sounds and looks good. I always make pancakes crispy, frying them in a combination of refined coconut oil and butter. Who cares if it isn't healthy that way, it tastes good and gives you plenty of energy for hours.

They have something like that at the Chinese buffet restaurant we go to all the time but I have never tried it. It also has a sauce to go with it, it looks like a soy based sauce like what you mentioned.
edit on 9-4-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Thanks for all the replies guys! Glad you like it. Id had these at a restaurant many times, just had no idea how simple they were or that it was another recipe I can add to my long term storage cookbook!

Oh and cruel?? Thats how I roll...

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Looks delicious! Can't wait to experiment with this one!!!

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I can't wait to try these! I am going to add some diced Jalapeno's to mine! And after I've fried a couple, I'll throw some pineapple into the mix and see what happens!
I love having breakfast for dinner, so this looks like the perfect recipe!
S&F

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   

nugget1
I can't wait to try these! I am going to add some diced Jalapeno's to mine! And after I've fried a couple, I'll throw some pineapple into the mix and see what happens!
I love having breakfast for dinner, so this looks like the perfect recipe!
S&F

So glad you like it. I was thinking... LOTS of crumbled up bacon> LOL!!

Everything is better with bacon IMO.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Thank you! This looks and sounds absolutely wonderful! Can't wait to try it!
Oh, and thanks for the added picture- if there were a way, I'd pin this on my pinterest

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Thats awesome looks good, sounds like irish potato cakes minus the potato!

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Why the hell would a person want onions on a pancake?
That's like wanting maple syrup on spaghetti.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   

That looks good.
Now if I could only get over the current plague sweeping through the house to go buy some shallots or something.

Another recipe that is close in simplicity is the fry bread. I learned this from my Navajo shimá sáni. Basically flour (Blue Bird if you can get it), some water, and a little salt. No measurements, just use enough water to make it doughy. After kneading it for a bit, take a glob and pull it to a nice round circular shape (don't roll it) and then fry it in melted lard (yes lard lol--fry bread tastes better cooked in lard than it does in shortening lol) til golden.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   

WhiteAlice

That looks good.
Now if I could only get over the current plague sweeping through the house to go buy some shallots or something.

Another recipe that is close in simplicity is the fry bread. I learned this from my Navajo shimá sáni. Basically flour (Blue Bird if you can get it), some water, and a little salt. No measurements, just use enough water to make it doughy. After kneading it for a bit, take a glob and pull it to a nice round circular shape (don't roll it) and then fry it in melted lard (yes lard lol--fry bread tastes better cooked in lard than it does in shortening lol) til golden.

Im Siksika... Blackfeet. Somewhere on here I have a thread with different fry bread recipes.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Where's the dog?

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   

HUMBLEONE
Where's the dog?

Ill post a secret ingredient Korean pancake( Pajeon... just learned thats what these are called) recipe next... its called : Pajeon Woof. JUST for YOU.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Advantage

HUMBLEONE
Where's the dog?

Ill post a secret ingredient Korean pancake( Pajeon... just learned thats what these are called) recipe next... its called : Pajeon Woof. JUST for YOU.
Mmm! Yummy! Thanks.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Advantage

HUMBLEONE
Where's the dog?

Feed paejon to dog for two days before the feast.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Awesome. Fry bread is godly. I saw a place selling something like Navajo tacos and ordered one. The interpretation was frightening and the bread was sweet.

Still scarred by that, lol. Now it's a toss up--fry bread or korean pancakes...decisions, decisions!

P.S. the people running the place were probably carnie folk that picked up the idea out there and then did very, very bad things with it. Going to hunt down your thread.
edit on 9/4/14 by WhiteAlice because: (no reason given)

top topics

join