It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Usefullness of iCloud...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Hi all

I posted this on this forum as it is related to technology but if there is a better place please move it accordingly.

My wife and I have been using our very first iphone for close to a year now and I never used icloud... Now I have friends telling me that I have to in order for my device to function optimaly.....

My wife however had it activated and now she cant do anything because her storage on icloud is full and she cannot access it from her phone nor computer.

So we are debating: is it necessary and is there a trick that we just dont get? We did not go to apple store yet because it is far from home so I thought a few tech gurus on ats could help me.

So the question is, is icloud really necessary or not?

I say no because my phone works perfectly and i dont use it but every one else tells me the contrary.

Thanks

Teye

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I'm a Mac user and iPhone user. I have NEVER used iCloud. My data is my data, and I want it kept locally with me. I think I have it set up though, so I can use the "find my iPhone" feature. That's about the only reason I use it.

I don't do cloud computing. I don't trust anyone but myself with my data.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   

MystikMushroom
I'm a Mac user and iPhone user. I have NEVER used iCloud. My data is my data, and I want it kept locally with me. I think I have it set up though, so I can use the "find my iPhone" feature. That's about the only reason I use it.

I don't do cloud computing. I don't trust anyone but myself with my data.

I am in total agreement with you. I have it setup also but i never sent a single thing to it yet ( i dont plan to either) and the wife regrets it a bit now

Thanks for the reply

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Teye22

I dont think itsnecessary. icloud is just useful for sharing large files that cant be delivered through regular means.ie: picture albums, videos etc.... It also frees up disk space, and of course you have access to your files through other devices.

eta: As for privacy issues I doubt it matters anymore...big brother is everywhere

edit on 4-4-2014 by Tucket because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Teye22
Hi all

I posted this on this forum as it is related to technology but if there is a better place please move it accordingly.

My wife and I have been using our very first iphone for close to a year now and I never used icloud... Now I have friends telling me that I have to in order for my device to function optimaly.....

My wife however had it activated and now she cant do anything because her storage on icloud is full and she cannot access it from her phone nor computer.

So we are debating: is it necessary and is there a trick that we just dont get? We did not go to apple store yet because it is far from home so I thought a few tech gurus on ats could help me.

So the question is, is icloud really necessary or not?

I say no because my phone works perfectly and i dont use it but every one else tells me the contrary.

Thanks

Teye

Try this site, Further down the site it shows where to find settings for icloud. It may be required to back up camera roll to your computer and then delet these on camera roll.
Regards, robbo

www.ilounge.com...
edit on 4-4-2014 by Robbo2006 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I'm an android user myself but I have the cloud option through Verizon. I can plug my phone into my laptop and upload all of my pictures, videos and music from my phone to my computer if you were to do the same with your phone to say a terabyte hard drive or right into your computer like I did depending on how much storage you have in your computer. This provides the same function as cloud storage, which is storage. You could then delete the copies of pictures videos in your phone and limit your phone storage to some playlists of songs you like on your phone, that should solve any storage or performance problems you could potentially be having, but as I thought I read someone mention that storage in your phone should not have any effect on performance unless your phones hard drive is crammed to capacity.
edit on 4-4-2014 by DonVoigt because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Well, its useful.

Though if you have to many apps or photos the standard size would get filled up quick.

I don't keep anything on my phone I wouldn't be comfortable losing or having the authorities look at, so I don't mind using I cloud (though we are all fooling ourselves if we think anything we enter into an electronic device is not monitored in this day and age)

Its been pretty cool when I replace iphones or upgrade, never have to do anything, put sim in, phone is just like my last one.

If you manage it right cloud features can be useful.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

You said a mouthful with that one. I watch several friends of mine using it like it's the next big thing putting lots of information out there and quite honestly it scares me.
Certain things are great in concept but just seem to fall short in application. If only certain people would have listened to me about those stupid Bitcoins, what a mess. One acquaintance of mine lost a boatload of money on it and then went on some virtual scavenger hunt for weeks trying to figure out where it all went. Watching him from day to day slipping deeper into the depths of Bitcoin hell, all I could do is watch.
I felt really bad afterwards, for I personally warned him to no avail. It was quite awkward for me to watch his struggle after it went bust, he had almost all his liquid assets tied to it.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Just go under the iCloud app and turn off anything you don't want saved to it. It should instantly give her more space. Setting and icloud - then click "off" and it won't push things there and then use up space. I only push my photos and I don't even know why I do that - how would I retrieve them if I lost my phone? I'm sure I would figure it out but it would be a pain I'm sure.

I really like itunes though - for switching out music and backing up the phone. If you lose everything you can get it all back that way. And it helps you to free up space.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I can only hope that some of you realize that the recent push to get more and more people to use icloud services is an attempt to gain even more control of your daily lives thru existing technology. Very soon they are going to start to use icloud to sell you programs for your phones computers and tablets if they are not already in turn making it easier for them to not only collect your data but also to crack down on people sharing data with one another.

also as I sit here typing this I cant help but wonder..if you use icloud, is it really YOUR data? if you put it on a cloud network you wouldn't really be in possession of it would you. you would in fact be giving up control of that data so it wouldn't rightfully be yours anymore would it? you may have a password but last time I checked icloud doesn't have 256 bit encryptions..

I ask you is your information safer in cloud storage or did you just make it easier for others to take from you?

I myself will keep my information on a drive close to me..one I could plug in or unplug at will without the storage fee

That's another thing with drives so cheep why the hell would anyone pay someone else to store there information for them?
you know they keep your same info on a bank of drives just like the one you passed up to pay them to use

read below in the blue print for a partial answer to that very question..

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Lot of good comments/advice here! I wont name every one but thank you all, I will look into it tonight with the wife. Busy weekend so I didn't have time to check anything.

Much apreciated

Teye

top topics

join