It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prisons swap OC spray for silly string

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Wow...

“We wanted to lighten the atmosphere and make the inmates feel like they’re in a more rehabilitative environment,” said Sen. Pepper Onyah, who first introduced the idea. “The silly string reminds the inmates of a simpler time, and encourages them to just laugh off whatever was making them angry in the first place.”

Genius. I mean, i have nothing else to say. I'm happy to read and share this article!

Add- I hope this is successful and revolutionizes how we deal with our "problems".
edit on 4/1/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Is this an April Fool's article? It reads like one. Coupons, silly string?

I wonder how well the silly string will work when the inmates decide they are feeling too violent to laugh and back off when the officers use it instead of the old stand by?

Free commissary, choice of smoking or non-smoking cells, wider selection of footwear, cotton or linen clothing....

It has to be April Fool's... or the Hilton.
edit on 4/1/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

This is long overdue...Congrats to "Sen. Pepper Onyah"

edit on 1-4-2014 by AreUKiddingMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Is this an April Fool's article?

CorrectionsOne is very much the same as PoliceOne, and they've been posting April Fools articles all day today.

Here's a few of my favorite from today.

New training wheels available for police motorcycles

“Nothing says badass like training wheels,” said Tornapants, “but we’re doing something innovative with our product. We’ve painted our training wheels black!”

ACLU defending officer suspended for 'not shutting up about Crossfit'

“There’s no doubt that Officer Meyback can outswim, outrun, and out-cycle every cop on this department, but there’s also no doubt that he can’t shut the hell up about it,” growled Chief Chuck Stern.

“This is clearly a First Amendment violation,” said ACLU attorney I.M. Vulger, who practically swooned when she spoke about Meyback.

“Pat Meyback is an exemplary office — I mean, look at the guy, he’s just dreamy. You see those arms? Those buns? How could anyone with that muscle tone not talk about their amazing muscle tone? To limit his speech like this is uncalled for and unconstitutional.”

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

damn i forgot! they got meeee1

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

edit on 1-4-2014 by chrismarco because: deleted

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 11:07 PM
link   
It may be an April Fools joke but most of the article reads sensibly:

Upon arrival, inmates are offered a choice of a smoking or non-smoking cell, cotton or linen outfits, and a wider selection of footwear. In-custody inmates will also receive special perks whenever a former inmate re-offends and returns to the lockup – thus encouraging those outside the walls to stick to their good behavior.

“As long as the inmate is in good standing and has no rule violations, they get a coupon for free Commissary or more yard time,” Sheriff Bob Law explained. “The coupons don’t expire and inmates may use them at their convenience.”

A lot of this stuff is not that bad an idea. Positive reenforcement is more effective than negative. It simply doesn't flex the vengeance and vindictiveness muscles that humans in authority positions have.

new topics

top topics

join