It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Alternative to Science Daily?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Mods, I'm not sure if this is an appropriate forum to ask such a question. Please move if you'd like.

I subscribe to Science Daily via an rss reader, but I get kind of annoyed by the quality of science articles on there. Does anybody know of a similar website, that is simply a better version of Science Daily? First of all, what I really enjoy about Science Daily is that you can narrow down your feeds to a variety of topics. So if you know of anyone that fits that bill, I'd really appreciate it. What annoys me about Science Daily is that it's really obvious that they are just cutting and pasting articles from a research institution on to their website. Thanks in advance.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by brazenalderpadrescorpio

Scientific American

I used to have a subscription to their magazine back in the day.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by iamhobo

Do you have to pay at any point? I guess with the better news sources, you have to pony up some dough.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   

I skimmed through, and it appears to get an article in it's entirety you need to subscribe... with money

Too bad you can't subscribe with a smile and the quest for knowledge.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
If you find a one size fits all I will check it out ..Just marking this thread to see what pops up ..At present I have a bunch I check in from day to day . Hey there is a one stop ...here you go www.abovetopsecret.com... they have all kinds of stuff there :>)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   

iamhobo

Too bad you can't subscribe with a smile and the quest for knowledge.

Do you find Knowledge in science daily?
Or do you just find information and the promotion of science and technology?

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   

brazenalderpadrescorpio
Mods, I'm not sure if this is an appropriate forum to ask such a question. Please move if you'd like.

I subscribe to Science Daily via an rss reader, but I get kind of annoyed by the quality of science articles on there. Does anybody know of a similar website, that is simply a better version of Science Daily? First of all, what I really enjoy about Science Daily is that you can narrow down your feeds to a variety of topics. So if you know of anyone that fits that bill, I'd really appreciate it. What annoys me about Science Daily is that it's really obvious that they are just cutting and pasting articles from a research institution on to their website. Thanks in advance.

Here is a site that covers the range of scientific study from physics to engineering. It is not really the highest caliber (better then sciencedaily though), but they often link directly to other studies pertaining to their articles.

phys.org...

The coverage is not more in depth for any given subject but usually you have to locate a .edu source or locate the actual journals to get access to more info which is not usually so neatly organized as in these science blogs/compilers.

-FBB
edit on 28-3-2014 by FriedBabelBroccoli because: 101

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   

The only science website that's good and free, updated regular.... phys.org...
Another good site www.newscientist.com... not completely free but useful for links and such.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by BDBinc

I don't know. I was talking about Scientific American.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I love science daily, Whats the issue you are having with it again?

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by iamhobo

Yeah, I'd really like that. Lol.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Thanks for the phys.org recommendations. It's a little bit spammier than I would like, but hey, you can't beat free. Thanks.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by immoralist

I just feel like they don't offer a critical analysis of the news stories they're offering. It also seems like they're more concerned with quantity as opposed to quality. I tend to get overwhelmed with every single computing development, and get this fake sense of progression in that field, when in reality it's not really like a major development. I'd like to get updated on something that matters and that marks a true milestone.

edit on 28-3-2014 by brazenalderpadrescorpio because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I've been reading a majority of the articles from Science Daily for quite a few years. I open other windows and investigate the articles by looking at other research all the time. It is a good source of information but only gives you a look at one side of the coin, you have to search for the other side. Sometimes when something controversial comes on the site, an opposing opinion article emerges in a few days, I like that, it gives you a chance to compare a couple different perspectives.

I have a couple other main sites, Physics.org comes to mind. Another interesting site is meat science, there is some really interesting stuff on that site....but only if you have an interest in that kind of stuff.

I don't especially like the new Science Daily site upgrade, it is harder to find what I need to find. I may be looking for another myself. I wish I could have a buck for every article I read on that site, I would be able to buy a new cheaper car with the money.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
This one is decent for a quick look.
news.silobreaker.com...

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Yeah, I've been following Science Daily for a relatively long time, and I think that I have Science Daily burnout. The news articles are more like micro-developments, that's why I feel burned out.

edit on 28-3-2014 by brazenalderpadrescorpio because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   

I get research ideas from Science Daily, I don't just read the articles. I look for challenges. If an articles says they have found a way to do something, I read the article trying to find clues to find alternate ways to get the same result. I like being challenged and have learned many different professions. This practice of challenging myself to learn is one of my pitfalls, I learn something till I get good at it then desire to move on. I felt guilty getting a job and leaving after a year, even though I did always pull my weight on every job and made the employer money. That is why I took up building, I could hire experienced professional people to do some things and worked under them to keep the cost down. I had quite a few subcontractors I did this with. I learned from some pretty good people over the years, the best in their field locally.

Use Science Daily and other sites to get motivated.

edit on 28-3-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   
rickymouse and brazen, youve both got valid points about the site. The new upgrade to the site sucks hard, its difficult to navigate, and I agree also that some of the data seems slightly shallow in its perspective as well as the fact that some of the breakthroughts arent really that mindblowing but the sensasionalizm is anywhere in the media.

Ive read almost every article over the last 4 years or so and its really, really good for a shallow but very wide knowledge base, specifically for further research.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Well, that's the thing. My work is not STEM related, so I just need someone to break it down to me sometimes.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by immoralist

Yeah, I think that for the freeness of it it's not bad.

new topics

top topics

join