It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

T-X to be in 2015 budget

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   
In an effort to speed the acquisition process, the Pentagon, in its not so infinite wisdom, has decided that it would be a good idea to water down the T-X capabilities, as well as those of three other programs. They will be looking at altering both bare bones and higher end capabilities, but haven't specified which capabilities would be altered.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I assume JSTARS is one of those three other programs.
edit on 14-1-2015 by justwanttofly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: justwanttofly

NOT one of the big three at least. The F-35, KC-46, and LRS-B are safe from any kind of cuts.

Surprisingly JSTARS isn't listed. The Long Range Standoff Weapon, SIBRS follow on, and MAPS are the other three.
edit on 1/14/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Well that's surprising, seeing how long they've put it off.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Getting to where they can't anymore. Parts are getting harder and more expensive to get, and maintenance is getting too costly. They were going to put the CFM56 on them, but it was too expensive to do it. So now they're looking at possibly a downsized business jet type platform similar to the RAF Sentinel.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I've heard stories of maintenance people being told that there's a warehouse full of JT3s and JT8s and that AWACS and JSTARS wouldn't get reengined until the planes had gone through most of the engines that had already been purchased.

I also like how Boeing submitted their proposal. "Oh, you want a business jet type? Here's a 737."

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   

They're not going to last anywhere near that long. Maintenance will become an issue long before they've gone through that many engines. They're damn lucky they didn't lose that bird in the ME after it had an IFR accident. They should have lost that bird and everyone on board, instead of it landing and being removed from inventory.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join