It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why i star and flag...

page: 1

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I flag threads because i believe that certain topics should be available for others and i know that many people only read threads here that are flagged.
I flag because i believe in the power of knowledge and i flag threads that need to be spreaded in my eyes.

I flag because i know that there are news stations out there that look on ATS for research (i am not kidding)...So i now that flags have power.

I flag threads that have the possibilty to "empower" people or that give us an understanding in which things we might not use our full potential. I flag threads of scandals that should be public.

I don´t flag threads only when they are well written or scientifically "proofed" unless the thread ridicules someone or is overly judgmental .
I believe in the power of belief-systems. I believe in the threshold of believe.

So i flag because i am an idealist. I flag because i know that some things that are here on ATS will only change something when many know about it...

I believe that every flag has a small structural effect because we are in a world in which we more and more trust others to "select" things for us.

SO: i often ask myself why do others here give flags?

I often have the feeling here are so many people that are not giving flags at all or rarely but COULD give it..that i ask myself: what stops them. A scientific ideal? An aesthetic dogma? Are they waiting for something "big"? Do they have the feeling that flags DO not count? Are they overly demanding? Are they competitive? Do they define their value by comparing numbers? Are they thinking flags are for "the writers" ?

I dont think that at all.
I think flags are for ideas...they are not for quality. They are for that which is wort spreading.

The flag culture in this forum shows that people still don´t GRASP the power of an idea.

They still don´t understand that even a badly produced idea that comes from the heart can transform A LOT when many people share it.

I don´t like that many good threads on ATS are not noticed because people judge threads by the number of the flags. Thats why i am not overly strict about giving flags..

But with the stars..its totally different. I only give stars when it comes to quality. A new thought. A good read. A big effort ...etc

Thats my system. i still don´t understand yours.

So: why do you star. Why do you flag. (maybe this was topic before but i did not find it)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Solid reasoning. I give flags on topics that I enjoy, as well as well written or highly informative posts.

After all, give credit where credit is due. :-)
edit on 19-3-2014 by andr3w68 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
When I first came to ATS I thought "Why did my thread get flagged? Oh no!!" HA!

I like your method!

I flag the good stuff so that other people will see it and dive in!

I star when I learn something new or a good point is raised, even if it's contrary to my belief. I'm here to learn and be a part of the discussions.

S&F Op! Thoughtful post!

edit on 19-3-2014 by raedar because: I said "I'm hear to learn" lol, bad typo!

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by kauskau

I flag for the same reason that I hope other people would. That said, I flag because a thread that I read calls out to me personally. Maybe because the idea presented is novel, or some other similar reason. As far as starring goes, I star the same as I flag. I don't want to get caught in a complicated system of starring and flagging because then I run the risk of forgetting what my system was. So obviously, my reasons for starring and flagging are not heroic. I just star and flag what I like.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   

kauskau
I flag because i believe in the power of knowledge and i flag threads that need to be spreaded in my eyes.

My doctor told me never to spread anything in my eyes.

Just kidding. Well put.

Flag (and star).

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by kauskau

As for flags,if a thread catches my interest and I open it up to read and find it of interest or value on the tread-O-meter scale I will flag it. After all, I just opened it, read it and found it to be of interest or positive.

For stars, if I read a post and it adds value to the thread I will star it. After all, I took time to read it and determined it added value to the thread.

Pretty simple for me.
edit on 019pm1212pm62014 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by kauskau

SO: i often ask myself why do others here give flags?

To build people up. Especially newcomers or people that are doing the best they can. Flags are a way of encouraging participation, a response to the work put in and the ability to host a thread and see it thru.

That may seem easy for some, not so for others.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by kauskau

My system is pretty close to yours. I flag threads that I find important for others to see, even if it's stating something I'm totally against. And stars are to show either my agreement with the poster or, in some cases, things I don't agree with but thought it was a good point.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I flag if I think the topic should move forward to the front so many others will have the thread in front of them.

I star for well thought out, well written and thought provoking material from the OP...Not the source.

But, sometimes I star and flag just because something personal hits me...shhh, Don't tell anyone.

Great read OP.

Thanx

BTW...S&F...

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Nice thread topic. SandF.

As a new member of ATS, It's good to read other ATS members opinions on this topic. I will reserve my opinion for now.
The cream always rises to the top.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Two reasons for flags

If it's important and should be seen by everyone.

If it's interesting in the way of presentation and topic.

Ocassionaly i give newcomers a flag just cause they are new;-)

Stars are here and there but mostly for saying something right or well spoken, not necessarily cause i agree with the person.

But one thing is, i don't see flags as a reward so they are rare from me, it has to be a good topic...very good.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 06:02 AM
link   
I still don´t have a sense for how many people are reading on ATS each day..

I am still waiting for a thread which reaches more than 1000 flags..Guess that can happen..

I hope it will be good news

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by kauskau

I star because it is my way of saying thank you for the knowledge that the poster so freely gave. I flag for the same reason you do. Keep it going.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I flag a thread I believe has merit and star a post if I agree with the point being made , unless it's my own thread than I star every contributor for posting in my thread unless they are being offensive

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by kauskau

I flag for different reasons. I like the topic and it's a well written and put together OP, I flag. An OP that I found cool or innovative and wish others see it, I flag. Someone comes with an OP that makes me go...hmmm....damn....don't know what to think of that one and wish to see more inputs from different members, I flag.

I NEVER flag one liner OPs with a youtube vid. I NEVER flag an obvious trollish OP or fishing for a fight OP.

If I write an OP, I star every reply, good or bad. (Okay if it's really really bad, no). I will star good replies in any thread I look into, whether I participate in it or not.

I will send an alert to recommend an APPLAUSE on a really excellent OP or an outstanding post.

Oh, S&F.

edit on 3 21 2014 by SonoftheSun because: (no reason given)

edit on 3 21 2014 by SonoftheSun because: missing words

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I roll a D20.
17 or higher, I flag post.

edit on 24-3-2014 by DenyFlatulence because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join