It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cent. To South (Maya / Inca / Other)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Hey all,

In about 5 weeks time I am heading to Central America (Mexico) and over the next 4-5 months making my way down to Brazil, hoping to be in Rio for around the World Cup final (Not that I have even the remotest interest in football lol).

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for either sites to visit or activities to take part in - Off the beaten track (exploring) or in sight of the tourist traps, I don't mind - Any personal experiences are welcome and all the better for it really.

One of the big draws or focus for this trip is history, namely civilizations in the Yucatan and of course those found in Peru, so below is a quick idea of the trip ahead. Mainly pointing out the Maya/ Inca sites of interest, all be it I have tons of other side stuff planned which I haven't really mentioned here at all.

Starting in Cancun, I plan to snake my way through the known and lesser known sites found dotted along the peninsular, from Tulum and Chichen Itza, to Mayapan, Calakmul, and of course Palenque.
I'm hoping to cross the border into Guatemala near the 'sister' sites of Palenque; Bonampak and Yaxchilan before making my way North to Tikal.
Next, into Belize and the sites dotted near the border crossing, such as Caracol (Heading North is a possibility time permitted, all be it there is only 1 site of real interest to me, Lamanai) before re-entering Guat. at its southern coastal border. From here, ill make my way to Guatemala city.
At this point I'm a little unsure of the a distinct route (none of it is defined tbh), but the most likely is to head back East and cross the Honduran border near the site of Copan.

Fast forward a little, Honduras > Nicaragua > Costa Rica > Panama > Columbia > Ecuador - All amazing countries for which much is planned, all be it, limited historical sites of that period.

Enter Peru from the North, maybe the Pan Am highway, maybe one of the more Eastern towns, unsure yet. Zigzagging my way from the Chachapoyan ruins of Kuelap to the incredible and vast ruins of Chan Chan in Trujillo, before eventually arriving in Lima and then onto the fabled Cusco.
Here, the vast ruins of the Inca empire as well as the pre-inca sites for which little is known (the highlight of the trip I hope :')).
Im intending to spend atleast 2-3 weeks of the trip in around Cusco, the sacred valley and the Choquequirao National Park.

From Cusco ill cross the border into Bolivia and visit the sites of Pumu Punko and Tiwanaku, before catching a connecting flight from La Paz to Santiago and onto Easter Island, the last site of significance on this trip.
From Santiago ill either fly to Buenos Aires and head north to Iguacu Falls (been to both before) or just straight to Rio.

So as mentioned already, I don't have a particular set itinerary or indeed a timetable other than meeting the return flight home in time, so I am very open to suggestions.

I plan to take as many photos and video as possible, so that's already covered, and I will try to upload everything somewhere for all

Thanks in advance and any further questions/ requests (legal haha) welcome.

edit on 4/3/2014 by Kliskey because: detail

edit on 4/3/2014 by Kliskey because: .

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Kliskey

I will just say you should have a good plan to traverse Honduras to enter and leave quickly. The only places I can recommend there are the Islands if you are into scuba diving otherwise just get to Nicaragua as soon as possible. Once in Nicaragua it is pretty safe from there on. The Corn Islands in Nica land are cool and have not been developed very much which will probably change soon. Little Corn is the best Island however I recommend flying there from Managua. Make sure to bring your itinerary for your flight home or when crossing borders it will cost you because they want to be sure you will be leaving their country especially the borders of Costa Rica.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Kliskey

About Peru, even if the flight comes from north, you probably will be landing in Lima. Am I wrong?

Adding :

What about Nazca?...., Don't tell me you won't visit it. If you go there, you might be traveling from Lima to Nazca using a car or bus. Stopping in Ica and heading to Arequipa after visiting Nazca.

Consider combine archaeology with peruvian food, you'll love it. Don't forget Coca tea, when you go thru Arequipa, Cuzco and Puno, i's legal....,dont worry.
edit on 4-3-2014 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Its probably a terrible idea, but I was actually considering to bypass Nazca, at least from the air. The main road to Cusco from Lima skirts past it, so I should get an opportunity to stop..... Flights to see it from above are extortionate though

And you are somewhat wrong... Won't be flying into Peru :p . The entire journey bar the extra flight from La Paz to Easter Island and then onto either BA or Rio will be entirely pubic transport, buses, boats etc.

Would you say its worth going to Arequipa? I was told (perhaps misinformed) that its nothing 'special' and that its just like any other industrialized city with out much character remaining....

As for the Coco leaves, happy to try everything and anything as long as it doesn't kill me, and as they are eaten to help you calm the effects of AMS, then I am all the more for it

top topics

join