It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holidays in the Axis of Evil

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2003 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Out of interest has anyone been watching these documentarys.

Iraq was on last night.

They really should be manditory viewing for anyone who thinks "bombing the rag heads" is a good way to settle this whole thing:

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 12 2003 @ 11:01 AM
link   
some interesting posts in the message board linked off the site you mentioned, lupe. CLICK HERE

BBC Four: Having been to all these countries, what is your take on the Axis of Evil?
BA: It's an absolute joke.

He makes it sound like all the �evil� is made up with that statement. I think this guy is a bit naive myself. He goes on to point out that minders were assigned to him. Geez, if it was such a joke, why would they appoint minders to him? He goes on to say this: they somehow found this out and we were imprisoned in a strange government building almost like apartments. I had a bed and two meals a day but every night between nine and midnight five of them took you to a small room on the top floor and grilled us for four or five hours. (this, while he was in Iran).

I�d rather go to Cancun for a holiday. But that�s just me. Again, why the minders?? Good post Lupe - I wish BBC was available to me - I'd like to watch these. Do you get the History Channel by chance?

[Edited on 12-2-2003 by Bob88]

posted on Feb, 12 2003 @ 11:20 AM
link   
In the actual program he spends most of the time with the actual people. He doesn't really claim that the "axis of evil" is non existent, he claims that it suggests a link between the countrys where none really exists.

he also claims that it taints entire countrys rather than its leaders.

one particularly telling situation again in Iran I believe, was where the dictatorship didn't enjoy public support until they were named part of the access of evil at which point the people, believeing quite naturally that they would be on Bush's target list, rallied behind the government against the oppression of the US.

Most importantly though, the docs allow you to see some of the people who are going to get hurt in this conflict.

saying that your about to "bomb the rag heads" is a hell of a lot easier before you've seen some of these "rag heads" playing in the street, smiling and basically trying to make the best of a bad lot.

A government will allways try to dehumanise an enemy.
the first step of an anti war movement is to humanise them so that people at least have to put a face on the limbless bodys.

posted on Feb, 12 2003 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Interesting read....
When Bush mentions the "axis of evil" he means the governments,not the people.At least that is my take on it.My problem with the axis of evil is their govenment.Some(Saddam) need to be removed,others like NK I think we can still deal with by talking to them.

Bob88,most satellite companies offer BBC if your interested.

posted on Feb, 12 2003 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I would have to say that I've watched a lot of different channels in my time and the Beeb as far as I can tell make some of the best documentorys going.
If your after good factual programmes with varied political stances you could do a lot worse.

hell, its worth it just for newsnight.

posted on Feb, 12 2003 @ 11:51 AM
link   
When it comes to a war with Iraq - I think I side with our local Iraqi community. All that I have read and heard from them - they tend to think a US attack is the only hope for their people. They really want Saddam gone and they note that people die every day because of him. So, even w/ out a conflict - people are dying there.

And as Nyeff said, I don't think anyone thinks or is trying to imply, state, mention, etc that the people of these nations are evil. Nor do I believe anyone has tried to dehumanise anyone.

posted on Feb, 12 2003 @ 03:43 PM
link   
the US government realizes what we, the American public in general, do not...and that's that the majority of the Iraqi people themselves are just people, same as you or I...they go to work, walk their dogs, etc. not villains. Because of this, they will strive to avoid as many civilian casualties as possible. The sad part is, many of these people will be killed by being used as human shields. The majority of the Iraqi people believe their leader is in the right, because it is the only view they know. In America, sometimes freedom can blind you to such an idea, and you don't realize how such a society can be brainwashed, and how easily... I've called many a "rag head" friend, and I don't wish for civilian deaths, but at the same time, this isn't a war against the Iraqi people...it's a war against the tyrant who leads them...

posted on Feb, 23 2023 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I know that this thread is about 20 years old, but given that North Korea was one of the three countries labeled as being part of the "axis of evil" by George W. Bush in his January 2002 State of the Union speech, here are some weblinks that will make holidaying in North Korea extremely difficult:
www.worldnomads.com...
travel.gc.ca...
travel.state.gov...
whereyourebetween.com...

God forbid, if you tampered with portraits of Kim Il-Sung and Kim Jong-il on purpose, or told anyone in North Korea not to fall for Kim Jong-un's belief that Saddam Hussein and Muammar Gaddafi paved the way for their demise by giving up their pursuit of a functional nuclear weapon, you will be arrested, show-trialed, and sentenced to either detention or hard labor.

new topics

top topics

join