It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lemon-aid and lime-aid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2024 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I usually infuse my water with lemon and/ or lime juice.
My kids have caught on to my habit, along with sugar for (lemon/ lime ) aid.
What is reasonable for 3 kids in fresh citrus, for a given week?
I'm looking at 8 lime, 8 lemon, but not sure.

8 lime as of last week was $4.00, if lemon is the same, $8 for 3 kids its less than $10 a week for them to have a treat, and as oft as not they are ok without the sugar.

Looking for opines.

posted on May, 9 2024 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme
I usually infuse my water with lemon and/ or lime juice.
My kids have caught on to my habit, along with sugar for (lemon/ lime ) aid.
What is reasonable for 3 kids in fresh citrus, for a given week?
I'm looking at 8 lime, 8 lemon, but not sure.

8 lime as of last week was $4.00, if lemon is the same, $8 for 3 kids its less than $10 a week for them to have a treat, and as oft as not they are ok without the sugar.

Looking for opines.

I like lemon and/or lime flavor in water also. It's probably almost impossible to get too much. Buying the juice in bottles is probably less expensive than buying fresh limes and lemons. Also easier to measure out and preserve.

posted on May, 9 2024 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Boomer1947

I have it in reserve by concentrate. Just think the little added bit of juicing it from scratch is a bit of a boon to the kids.
Shows how we need to work for things etc.

posted on May, 9 2024 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

I find that if you put very little lemon juice into water, it doesn't require sweetening. It's like the slight bitterness hits your senses, and then is gone, leaving a paradoxically sweet aftertaste.

posted on May, 9 2024 @ 10:31 PM
link   
My mothers family name means children of the lime. In Europe, long ago, their ancestors or ancestors relatives had lime orchards..hence the name.

I like some lemon, but I also like other food chemistries with similar metabolic properties. Lime is alright too, but usually we have lemons. Lemons have Limonene in them. It is a good chemistry but also has some issues if you consume too much and under certain conditions. Just don't drink too much if you are in direct sunlight for extended periods. It is metabolized pretty much after three hours, so drink it early in the morning or later in the evening when the sun is lower to lessen problems with the skin. Furocoumerins are the issue with that that are a problem. Not quite as bad as the blood thinners like coumadin. Also, don't eat too much berries out in the sun if you are picking strawberries or blueberries.

posted on May, 9 2024 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I appreciate all the research you do into food chemistry.

posted on May, 9 2024 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

You can load it up, and depending on the individual, they will have the same take away.

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 05:53 AM
link   

I remember maybe 5 yrs ago getting 10 limes at fiesta for a buck.
Times have changed and NOT for the better..maybe raw honey instead of sugar?

posted on May, 11 2024 @ 03:49 AM
link   

A couple of options.

Also acquaint your children with drinking cool, unsweetened tea. Great thirst quencher.

Likewise, a 50/50 mix of water and apple juice. Another great thirst quencher. Water can be gassy or not. Learned that one from the Germans.

Cheers

posted on May, 15 2024 @ 02:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: F2d5thCavv2

A couple of options.

Also acquaint your children with drinking cool, unsweetened tea. Great thirst quencher.

Likewise, a 50/50 mix of water and apple juice. Another great thirst quencher. Water can be gassy or not. Learned that one from the Germans.

Cheers

Cheers.

The kids like apple juice. I haven't thought to cut it.
Tea (none caffeinated) in the day, I'm good with. Sadly I work most days, so it's more of a difficulty.

posted on May, 16 2024 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Interesting, I just watched a video about Sarsaparilla tea.
And I hear good things.
Anyone got any opines? My kids love root beer.

posted on May, 16 2024 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Lime is much more acidic than lemon, and can be very hard on the enamel of your teeth.

I can drink water with lemon in it all day, but if I have one drink with fresh lime in it my teeth will be too sensitive to brush the next day; it feels like the nerves in my teeth are exposed.

So, I don't have a direct answer to your question other than to say I would probably error on the side of lemons over limes just from a dental health standpoint.

posted on May, 16 2024 @ 01:15 AM
link   

And I hear good things.

Sarsaparilla has an interesting history, and the original ingredients of sarsaparilla have long been banned in the United States. Most drinks labeled sarsaparilla today are actually birch beer or just regular root beer with some other flavors added. Sassafras was one of the main ingredients in the original concoction along with birch oil, but sassafras was found to be carcinogenic.

So, depending on what's in the tea you referred to and where it comes from, you might want to be careful to check the ingredients. In SE Asia and Asia there is a drink known as 'Sarsi' which is alternatively called sarsaparilla, but it's made from a different plant, Simlax Omata, which is not widely available outside of Asia and South America.

posted on May, 17 2024 @ 12:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

And I hear good things.

Sarsaparilla has an interesting history, and the original ingredients of sarsaparilla have long been banned in the United States. Most drinks labeled sarsaparilla today are actually birch beer or just regular root beer with some other flavors added. Sassafras was one of the main ingredients in the original concoction along with birch oil, but sassafras was found to be carcinogenic.

So, depending on what's in the tea you referred to and where it comes from, you might want to be careful to check the ingredients. In SE Asia and Asia there is a drink known as 'Sarsi' which is alternatively called sarsaparilla, but it's made from a different plant, Simlax Omata, which is not widely available outside of Asia and South America.

Banned for selling, not harvesting or providing, the root or product.

The carcinogenic effect is overstated. As is often the case. Let me see if I can find the video again.

Nice to see you again FCD; Rumor is this site is dead in the near future.

Regarding acidity and teeth sensitivity, I have a pain tolerance that allows me to get my teeth drilled without any pain killer.
But as I'm asking for my kids, I appreciate your observations.

I didn't find the individual engaging, but assuming what what said was correct I thought it interesting.

top topics

join