It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Total noob. Bought a telescope. Where do I point it for UFO sighting?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2024 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I saw this thing on clearance at the sports store and I was like why not. So here we are. It is a Celestron astromaster 90az. I dont know if it's decent or not but it was half price of what it normally is so I bought it and I figure it will be a good way to dip my toe into a new possible hobby.

I haven't set it up yet but I'm planning to try it out tonight and I was hoping anybody had suggestions beyond the obvious of cool things to see or look for. Of course I'm gonna be looking for UFOs or if anybody had any references that would be helpful in telescoping. Telescopotry? Telescope use. What do you call this hobby? Am I an idiot? Probably but if I see a UFO with this thing, I'm gonna get a picture of it for sure and we can all discuss. I'm hopeful and bored. If it works good, I'll take it on my trip to Nevada and see what I can see. Might be fun.

posted on Mar, 31 2024 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Point it at the sky (up when outside)

Lovely hobby, looking at things from a distance

a reply to: Shoshanna

edit on 31-3-2024 by Dalamax because: Meh

posted on Mar, 31 2024 @ 02:08 PM
link   

What do you call this hobby?

Astronomy.

If I were you I'd check out the Moon , no UFOs but it is cool.

posted on Mar, 31 2024 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Idiocy confirmed hehe. I thought of astronomy but I was like that sounds too fancy im like a first time user no idea what im doing. I'm excited yeah I was planning to check out the moon first just because I think it will be the easiest thing to find.

posted on Mar, 31 2024 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Am I an idiot

Irrelevant because the OP is more adorable than a batch of newborn puppies.

posted on Mar, 31 2024 @ 02:33 PM
link   

If you were to see a ufo it will be by pure chance.
But try checking out the Moons Terminator line.

Jupiter is cool right now, you can see its moons with a pair of decent binoculars.
Download the app Stellarium, point it at the sky and you will have an endless assortment of choices to look at.

posted on Mar, 31 2024 @ 02:47 PM
link   
If you have a smart phone, I would suggest the app 'Constallitation map'. It will show you what the lights are up there by just pointing your phone at them like you were going to take a picture.

Sorry, but it will tell you what the thing you thought was a UFO is if it is actually in space.
edit on 31-3-2024 by BeyondKnowledge3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2024 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Check out the brightest star in the sky…
That will actually be Jupiter and you should be able to see four of its moons too.
And of course check out the moon.

I’ve had a telescope of one type or another for four decades and have never seen a UFO so don’t get your hopes up there…😂

ETA.. that’s a nice beginner telescope. A refractor is durable and easy to use and maintain. ✌️
edit on 31-3-2024 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2024 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Don't forget to try Binoculars on a starry night.

I did that once in Wales in a campsite and it blew my mind! That vision using two eyes was a real eye opener and the periphery vision was incredible.

'"My God, it's full of stars"!

posted on Mar, 31 2024 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

No, do not check out the brightest star in the sky. Pointing that telescope at the Sun could damage it and if looked through, will blind you.

Solar observation is rather an advanced subject involving dark filters and or projection methods.

Please rephrase that to brightest star in the night sky.

posted on Mar, 31 2024 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: BeyondKnowledge3

I was referring to the night sky….😂✌️
But then again, safety warnings exist for a reason..🤪

posted on Mar, 31 2024 @ 11:36 PM
link   

UP.

(post by watusi removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

top topics

join