It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lockheed Martins X-59 Unveiled

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2024 @ 05:12 PM
link   
The unveiling ceremony…..(pre-recorded actually starts 01:15)

Rollout of the X-59 Quesst Supersonic Plane (Official NASA Broadcast)

🍾🥂🍾🥂🍾🥂🍾🥂 🥃🥃🥃

Remember this……the Douglas X-3 Stiletto…..another NASA effort

That’s some nose….

👽
edit on 18-1-2024 by Ophiuchus1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2024 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Ophiuchus1

The X-3 was designed to demonstrate sustained Mach 2 flight, as well as low aspect wings, and large scale use to titanium in construction. The nose was long to allow for test equipment and to create an airframe with as low a drag component as possible. The original engines didn't have enough power, and it was hell to fly. It had a high take off speed, had to be in a 15 degree dive to reach Mach 1.1, and 30 degrees to reach Mach 1.2.

posted on Jan, 19 2024 @ 04:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
The X-59 is built by Lockheed, but is actually a NASA program. Most people forget that the first A in NASA is Aeronautics, and don’t realize how many aviation programs they run.

And, judging from the speeches from the launch video that Ophiuchus1 posted, the publically funded aspect can, at least in part, be justifed by job creation and the resultant boost that that has on the Californian economy.

Excuse my ignorance, but how much bigger would it need to be to carry passengers? I presume that most of the protype is currently business and have read that this prototype has only been designed to carry a single operator. If Concorde carried 100, how long would that pointy nose need to be to have a similar capacity?

posted on Jan, 19 2024 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: BrucellaOrchitis

You’d be looking at something maybe a little smaller, but pretty similar in size.

posted on Mar, 9 2024 @ 09:19 PM
link   
They should make all their data open source if nothing becomes of this aircraft and let other people build upon it, anyone with me on my train of thought?

Also, I heard of a couple company's from around the world trying to figure out this problem, i am sure someone will come up with a solution.

Also Also, Nice looking aircraft, To me atleast.

posted on Mar, 9 2024 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: HibbsIndustries

The X-59 is just a technology demonstrator. Nothing is going to come of it.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join