It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Academia Has Become a Cancer in American Society

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2023 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Interesting opinion piece by a retired professor. He has some good points. Instead of being places of higher learning and achievement, college campus' are have become just far left indoctrination centers and have become breeding grounds for an anti-family mentality and anti-Americanism. Instead of encouraging discussion, they are single minded cesspools of intolerance. There are reports of the college professors joining in with the anti-Jew mobs and antisemitism on campus' and calling for intifata. Colleges seem to do more harm than good to the soul of the students.

Academia Has Become a Cancer in American Society

College campuses have become a "cancer" on American society, breeding anti-American radicalism, and the only way forward is to get the left-wing activists out of the classroom, a retired California professor argued in the Wall Street Journal Tuesday.

"Never have college campuses exerted so great or so destructive an influence. Once an indispensable support of our advanced society, academia has become a cancer metastasizing through its vital organs. The radical left is the cause, most obviously through the one-party campuses having graduated an entire generation of young Americans indoctrinated with their ideas," John Ellis wrote in his opinion piece.

Ellis, professor emeritus of German literature at the University of California, Santa Cruz, laid out the various ways he believes colleges have become a "destructive" force on society, from prioritizing social justice over academic achievement, censoring conservative voices, portraying criminals as victims, and driving a wedge between parents and children with attacks on the nuclear family.

posted on Dec, 5 2023 @ 12:21 PM
link   
The far left is infatuated with college degrees. They have even gone so far as to push for degrees being necessary for employment in jobs where they are not needed. Pretty soon to babysit you will need a college degree or to work at a place like subway tossing ingredients on a junk food you will need a degree or they will hire you only if you are going to college.

I know so many people who got degrees from college and are working at places where a degree is not needed. Hiring a person with a degree to work at a place like this seems to put a division between the employees. The ones who have a college degree think they know more about the job than a person who spent that four years working for that company and they seem to expect they should get more pay than that employee who has personal job experience at that place. I would not hire people with degrees in my business as a builder, some college was ok, as long as they did not have a degree. I have been around, it seems those people with a degree have a chip on their shoulder most times, they believe falsely they are better than the guy who came out of highschool and gained real life work experience most times. That is discrimination and I do not like discrimination. I had a higher IQ than anyone who ever applied for work for me, but I had no degree. I am smart enough to pay attention to my surroundings. If I have the right to control an injustice, I will try to fix the issue.

You do not need a degree, plus a high student debt, toprove you are intelligent

posted on Dec, 5 2023 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

It occurs to me that if most Americans want something that a minority doesn't want, then it is the minority that are un-American.

posted on Dec, 5 2023 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
The far left is infatuated with college degrees. They have even gone so far as to push for degrees being necessary for employment in jobs where they are not needed. Pretty soon to babysit you will need a college degree or to work at a place like subway tossing ingredients on a junk food you will need a degree or they will hire you only if you are going to college.

I know so many people who got degrees from college and are working at places where a degree is not needed. Hiring a person with a degree to work at a place like this seems to put a division between the employees. The ones who have a college degree think they know more about the job than a person who spent that four years working for that company and they seem to expect they should get more pay than that employee who has personal job experience at that place. I would not hire people with degrees in my business as a builder, some college was ok, as long as they did not have a degree. I have been around, it seems those people with a degree have a chip on their shoulder most times, they believe falsely they are better than the guy who came out of highschool and gained real life work experience most times. That is discrimination and I do not like discrimination. I had a higher IQ than anyone who ever applied for work for me, but I had no degree. I am smart enough to pay attention to my surroundings. If I have the right to control an injustice, I will try to fix the issue.

You do not need a degree, plus a high student debt, toprove you are intelligent

Yes, there are some truly exceptional people who excel without formal education.

You can have a high IQ, without achieving anything, and you can achieve great things without a high IQ.

But it is very hard to deal correctly with a complex issue if you have no prior experience. One way to overcome that is by education, where you can quickly learn from the experience of several other people over their lifetimes.

Also, there's this thing called the 'Dunning-Kreuger effect' where people think that they are cleverer than others, based upon their ignorance of the possibilities and permutations rife in any real-world decision they may make.

edit on 5-12-2023 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2023 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

It is also somewhat ironic that the person touting this opinion is in fact an entrenched academic. Something which the reporters are using to try and add credibility to the opinion.

... and FauxNewsOpinions has always treated its audience as 'the lowest common denominator'.

edit on 5-12-2023 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2023 @ 10:44 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 19 2024 @ 06:52 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Apr, 19 2024 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: christinejohn

sounds legit

posted on Apr, 19 2024 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: christinejohn
The purpose of education is to empower and enlighten people, ...

And yet the far left woke dei indoctrination that comes from the high schools and universities are ROT, and massively harmful to everyone that gets within it's orbit.

new topics

top topics

join