It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strophanthus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Curious if members here have experience taking strophanthus drops as a treatment for heart issues.

Strophanthus was previously widely prescribed by doctors for treatment of the heart. In the 1970s or so, the pharma industry succeeded in pushing newer drugs for heart treatment. Strophanthus was a natural remedy, although not without its dangers: it was reportedly used by tribes in Africa as a form of poison that arrowheads got dipped into. Taken in too great a dosage, it is known to overstimulate the heart.

Interestingly, in Germany, it is still a 'thing' with doctors and is at least at times recommended for use. I'm going with a minimal dosage of five drops a day. Apparently, it should only be taken for a time and then one should take a pause in consumption. Perhaps it accumulates in the body faster than the body gets rid of it.

If anyone has used it, I would be interested in hearing comments regarding its effectiveness. Thanks!

Cheers

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

Why did my brain interpret this as "Strep-ahontas" - like the Disney movie?

This is the first time I've heard of it.

I would be weary though, of any remedy that can be routinely used as poison dip for arrows as a treatment of any sort... Other than a treatment against the ailment of life, maybe.

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Hope you are ok! No experience with it. Did your DR prescribed it? Do you trust them?

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 02:41 PM
link   
It's homeopathy, the ancient art of producing positive effects by inflicting self-harm.

Homeos - self
Pathos - harm

You introduce very small doses of what is normally harmful in order to build immunity or cultivate an adverse effect. Think snake handlers poisoning themselves to gradually build immunity to poison.

Ouabain (the active ingredient in strophanthus plant, Dogbane) is a highly toxic substance. Probably named dogbane because it used to kill dogs that ate it. But you know all this, right? I'm just listing it for others. As long as you know this is alternative medicine and can cause you harm and you have to watch your doses closely. Other than that, it's been safe enough to sell for ages and you can grow the plant yourself.

Be very careful as it is a paralytic. A few drops can induce anesthesia, paralyze the muscle function or cause a temporary loss of tactile sensation - meaning your skin wouldn't register cold or heat or touch.

Homeopathy, as an art, used to be about diluting the harmful solution down to smallest number of molecules you can. They would take a diluted solution and then cut it in half, dilute it further and further until they reached something that has such an imperceptible amount of the original solution, it was almost not in there. That's a starting point, as you get used to that, you increase the dosage with slightly less diluted compound. And so on. Dosage is key.

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 02:45 PM
link   

I have not taken it, or heard of it before

sounds like it may be slow to metabolize in the body which means that it is stored, or builds up somewhere.
In this case im guessing the heart.

I know from working with a company in the past that produced medical foods for PKU treatments, these types of toxins can do long term damage even with short term exposure.

Be cautious

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: dothedew

I would be weary though, of any remedy that can be routinely used as poison dip for arrows as a treatment of any sort... Other than a treatment against the ailment of life, maybe.

Medicine has evolved from plants to synthesized lab versions. Digitalis came from foxglove and was used to treat heart disease; belladonna (deadly nightshade) was used to treat epilepsy; it's all in the dosage.

Some people prefer a more natural remedy over all of the designer drugs which don't have that great of a track record.

It is estimated that ADRs (adverse drug reactions) represent the fourth leading cause of death in the United States and Canada behind heart disease, cancer, and stroke. Further, it is estimated that ADRs are the sixth leading cause of death worldwide.

[www.sciencedirect.com...]

posted on Nov, 2 2023 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Thanks for the comments! Will be cautious.

Cheers

posted on Nov, 2 2023 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
Hope you are ok! No experience with it. Did your DR prescribed it? Do you trust them?

Hi chiefsmom,

I am OK

Just some run-down caused mostly by getting into my senior years. No prescription, it can be bought at pharmacies in Germany. As for trust, it is probably okay, as Magohani mentioned in very controlled doses. The German medical establishment does not block its sale (Germany is in some cases less restrictive with medications and similar than other countries). A person older than I has been taking it and is doing okay. So, I'll slow-roll the intake of it and see how I feel.

Mahogani -- thanks for the in-depth comments. I suspect what is sold in Germany is somewhat diluted so that people can't easily overdose on it.

Cheers
edit on 2-11-2023 by F2d5thCavv2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2023 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Never heard that remedy . There is also well known hearts drops in Europe, Crataegus monogyna, or simply Crataegus.

Nitric oxide also might help ,beets or beetroot juice is exellend source .

Less know issue is a thiamine deiciency ( vitamin B1 ) , it`s better to use benfotiamine to boost thiamine levels.

new topics

top topics

join