It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Even AI isn’t safe from Illinois TAXES Chicago TAXES ChatGPT

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 10:36 PM
link   
www.illinoispolicy.org...

Unless you have lived there you might think this is ludicrous. 🤣😭🤡

Add ChatGPT to the list of things Chicago taxes: As of Oct. 1, Chicago’s personal property lease transaction tax slapped a 9% tax on the artificial intelligence platform. The tax applies to leased computer platforms such as ChatGPT’s premium subscription. Users can avoid the tax by opting for the free version. If someone works in the city but mostly uses ChatGPT outside the city, they aren’t subject to the tax.

I’m sure Illinois has a room filled with people, drinking strong black coffee, eating hot dogs, that are paid just to think up things to tax.
Tax…….taxes?
Electric cars?
Air?
Candy that you don’t swallow?
……

How about Inturnet Robats (in Chicago accent)
Yeah, let’s tax ChatGPT!!!! Not 10% cuz that’s too much, but how about a solid 9?

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I went into a Chicago Walgreens (drug store) last week. They charged me a dime for the little plastic bag the clerk put the Aspirin in. It was called a recycle fee. Fees are becoming more common than taxes now. I guess they're easier to add on to prices.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
Unless you have lived there you might think this is ludicrous.

Yes! I've had up to here with Illinois and their stupid greed. It's about time somebody puts Illinois out of their misery. And out of mine, too. Another thing they just did - they just decreed that my house is worth more, because.... and my property taxes just went up about 50%.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

I went into a Chicago Walgreens (drug store) last week. They charged me a dime for the little plastic bag the clerk put the Aspirin in. It was called a recycle fee. Fees are becoming more common than taxes now. I guess they're easier to add on to prices.

Yes and they give you the smallest bag you’ve ever seen too.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Yes and they give you the smallest bag you’ve ever seen too.

They charge me a 10 cents recycling fee, even though I'm throwing the bag in the trash? Pure rip-off.

Illinois is losing 234 taxpayers @ day, and gaining 50 Illegal Alien moochers @ day.

That's a bad equation for a state that was teetering on Bankruptcy before Biden bailed us out.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: TrulyColorBlind

I've been a real estate broker what you want to do is find the politicians and see how much their taxes gone up on the property and what you'll find out is that they've been excluded yeah when you find that out then post it here on ATS for me okay thanks it's very true story.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 11:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic

I've been a real estate broker what you want to do is find the politicians and see how much their taxes gone up on the property and what you'll find out is that they've been excluded yeah when you find that out then post it here on ATS for me okay thanks it's very true story.

I live close to our town politician…
My property taxes have gone down while my house value has skyrocketed.
Also, and not sure if this is related, my electric bill is unusually low.

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 12:47 AM
link   

I live close to our town politician…
My property taxes have gone down while my house value has skyrocketed.

Good find.

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 02:03 AM
link   

I'll trade ya? Lol.

Has anyone asked the program how it feels about being taxed? I bet it gives a civic minded answer even though it's not a citizen. Then again, it may just cut to the chase and state that it's meaningless, which it certainly is.

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 06:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrulyColorBlind

Unless you have lived there you might think this is ludicrous.

Yes! I've had up to here with Illinois and their stupid greed. It's about time somebody puts Illinois out of their misery. And out of mine, too. Another thing they just did - they just decreed that my house is worth more, because.... and my property taxes just went up about 50%.
How is that even legal , a 50% increase in a year?! I would be absolutely livid.
Ugh, I dread to see what my property taxes have gone up to this year. They only ever go up, and they go up every year

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

It's because taxes have to be voted on.

"Fees" on the other hand (which are simply taxes by a different name) don't - they can be instituted unilaterally. DMV/SOS, license, plates, excise, application fees, recycle fees, etc.; Taxes that are called "fees" so that there's no oversight or voter consent.

new topics

top topics

join