It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supply distribution and labour problems compounding

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2023 @ 02:24 AM
link   
It appears that many distribution points are running low on stock due to a variety of reasons. One major one is refrigeration parts and the lack of skilled labor to cobble things together. Trucks that rely on imported parts which when ordered never come. But tantamount is the lack of skilled labor to make and repair necessary backup parts as the skills required are only in old people who have retired. This unfortunately does not take into account poor harvest and general weather woes as it looks like the "Just in time mantra" has run out of time. Comments include a seventy-five-year-old mechanic who is flat-out repairing older cars and is snowed under with work. It appears that distribution centers have gone from a holding stock of sixty days to nine. There is some sobering information coming out which will be adding to the present shortages. This guy is watching the developing shortages and keeps a regular to the ground...i leave the URL as it seems it has two equal signs. www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 21 2023 @ 04:58 AM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

From my experience, a lot of us pulled the plug when the lockdowns started. They can find some other idiot willing to play the game but I am done. I haven't had any issues finding parts for our cars.

posted on Aug, 21 2023 @ 05:36 AM
link   
this feathers into all the other issues ideological idiocy has overstepped the mark, the collapse is incoming and common sense will return..

at this point this winter looks a key crunch point for many things each compounding the other, food, energy, parts are just in the mix..

posted on Aug, 21 2023 @ 11:27 AM
link   

There is also a quality problem today.
Brand new parts out of the box are defective.

posted on Aug, 21 2023 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity
It appears that many distribution points are running low on stock due to a variety of reasons. One major one is refrigeration parts and the lack of skilled labor to cobble things together. Trucks that rely on imported parts which when ordered never come. But tantamount is the lack of skilled labor to make and repair necessary backup parts as the skills required are only in old people who have retired. This unfortunately does not take into account poor harvest and general weather woes as it looks like the "Just in time mantra" has run out of time. Comments include a seventy-five-year-old mechanic who is flat-out repairing older cars and is snowed under with work. It appears that distribution centers have gone from a holding stock of sixty days to nine. There is some sobering information coming out which will be adding to the present shortages. This guy is watching the developing shortages and keeps a regular to the ground...i leave the URL as it seems it has two equal signs. www.youtube.com...

My son does skilled labor in a very niche market. They are swamped and a human is only capable of working on so much in a given week. Even with overtime, there’s just not enough bodies doing the work…

I think a lot of skilled labor retired during covid (or died) and many of the new generation (Millennials to Gen alpha) aren’t interested… Where will that leave us… very good question. Good post and probably not talked enough about!
edit on 21-8-2023 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2023 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Those who do decide to enter skilled trades in great demand will probably find themselves being paid very, very well! Eventually that will prove a draw to Millennials & Gen Alpha who can't get decent paid work, there probably needs to be an educational drive highlighted & sponsored by the trade schools as well, clawing back some of those who otherwise go on to claim benefits & do nothing.

posted on Aug, 21 2023 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Already happening. Even the turds are getting raises.

posted on Aug, 21 2023 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

There is also a quality problem today.
Brand new parts out of the box are defective.

Every project I ran this year went sideways due to deliverables not arriving on time or being defective once they did.

We were actually discussing this earlier today and the four of us, all over 50, admitted that we’ve never seen it like this in the past.

Something is fracked.
edit on 21-8-2023 by NorthOfStuffx2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2023 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyInTheOintment

Those who do decide to enter skilled trades in great demand will probably find themselves being paid very, very well! Eventually that will prove a draw to Millennials & Gen Alpha who can't get decent paid work, there probably needs to be an educational drive highlighted & sponsored by the trade schools as well, clawing back some of those who otherwise go on to claim benefits & do nothing.

It’s going well for him, but there is a trade off that very few talk about and it’s not about the $$$.
Skilled trades/labor/blue collar work is of course needed, and you can make a very nice living off of it.
BUT, it is often a lot worse on your body than typical white collar work.
I have worked both, and understand it’s not all rainbows on either side.

I feel one is mentally draining, and the other is physically draining.

posted on Aug, 21 2023 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Ribbon cutting on our new $35 million building last Friday. Hardly any of the wiring started. Large extension cords everywhere. Water maybe in a few weeks and heat hopefully by the time its needed. 3 Months behind and looking at a year behind. Supplies just not coming in.

posted on Aug, 22 2023 @ 10:03 AM
link   

I think a lot of skilled labor retired during covid (or died) and many of the new generation (Millennials to Gen alpha) aren’t interested… Where will that leave us… very good question. Good post and probably not talked enough about!

It's a menacing problem to be sure and I think the factors you've listed are largely to blame along with one other. Excess deaths due to complications of either COVID or the vaccines. We're going through a period of accelerating population decline in excess of the arrival of illegal immigrants. And unlike previous periods of immigration where the migrants would actually work, this batch is being paid to live in hotels in NYC.

new topics

top topics

join