It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boring machine rescue nearly triples in price

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2023 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I found this one and thought it would appeal to those here who have been posting on the conspiracy theory about a network of tunnels under the U.S. created by boring machines.

The updated cost estimates and timeline come to Toronto's General Government committee next week. Documents show work to free a $3 million micro-tunnelling boring machine trapped under Old Mill Drive since last spring has jumped to $25 million — up from the approximately $9 million price tag in March.
City staff say additional groundwater infiltration at the site and the need for more soil stabilization have contributed to the soaring price and delayed the project. The machine remains trapped and work has taken about six months longer than first anticipated. The latest delay isn't sitting well with residents who say they've struggled with a steady stream of heavy-equipment, dirt and vibrations from construction for years. The price escalation is the latest unpleasant surprise, said Tanya Boswick who lives on the street.

Well, at least it can be said that it would be extremely hard to hide a tunneling project in a metro area or near residences. The article states how miserable the residences have been from all the traffic, dirt, and noise along with the smoke from their wildfires. Also, it illustrates how inept the government can be with such projects, in Canada at any rate.

CBC News Article Link
edit on 7-7-2023 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Add a link

edit on 7-7-2023 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Corrections

posted on Jul, 7 2023 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

But with just seven metres left to go on its route, the machine hit 14 underground steel tiebacks which had been part of the construction of a nearby condo building. It became ensnared in them, and is now twisted and turned off course.

Did they forget to "Call before you dig"?

posted on Jul, 7 2023 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

The article didn't say anything more about those cables than what you posted, but by the looks of that picture, I'd say they had excess cable that the construction crew buried when they put in the foundations of the surrounding buildings. Like I said, inept government, or corrupt enough to look the other way when the cable was buried there.
edit on 7-7-2023 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

posted on Jul, 7 2023 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

I can believe getting that thing out of there will be a superior PITA, even if there weren't complicating factors.

Cheers

posted on Jul, 7 2023 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

It is a government planned project. They do what they want and don't even worry about the consequences. There is always more of the people's money to deal with it.

posted on Jul, 7 2023 @ 02:42 PM
link   
A 7.5 million dollar project gets a 1.5 million dollar machine stuck. It was first estimated to cost 9 million more to go get it out. It is now 26 million to get it out. The project will now cost at least 34 million?

It would be cheaper to just fill it in and start over for less than 10 million making a total of less than 20 counting the old hole and fill in. New hole, new machine, new plan.

Where would this make any sense other than government?
edit on 7-7-2023 by beyondknowledge2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2023 @ 07:44 PM
link   
The machine is probably stuck right in the middle of a crucial area that can’t be worked around or avoided. My guess, anyway, off the top of my head.

a reply to: beyondknowledge2

posted on Jul, 8 2023 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: aldayalnite

The article only says they are having to remove the machine or replan the whole thing. It is still cheaper and might be faster to fill in and start over.

new topics

top topics

join