It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Africa Unrest - News Embargo by US MSM

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2021 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam
a reply to: SleeperHasAwakened

An important question. My bet is that it complicates too many narratives.

As I thought more about the international stories I listed above that did make the cut on CNN's front page, it occurred to me that your point about narrative alignment is a salient one.

For example, the flooding seen right now in parts of Europe, Germany etc aligns with the Climate Change narrative. Hence, such stories are deemed "important" enough that they needn't require visitors to the site to search or navigate to subordinate areas of the main page.

We already know that the politically-motivated Red Meat stories for the respective base of a given "news" site will always be given special placement, ideally positioned to maximize notice and exposure.

Someone whose opinion I respect recently remarked that they get news by browsing lots of sites across the political spectrum and "stitching together" or teasing apart (however you want to look at it) the different perspectives and narratives, and then forming their best estimate of "the truth" or "facts" from the disparate points of view. It's kind of like how a police officer or investigator might have to interview many different witnesses of an event, and select tidbits of information that seem plausible and likely to be factual, but discarding biased views, observations a witness couldn't possibly know/remember, looking for latent motivations an observer has to tell a certain story, and so on.

This is the state of affairs: we are each of us our own police investigator when it comes to just checking the news.

"Just the facts, ma'am"

posted on Jul, 16 2021 @ 12:19 PM
link   

This is the state of affairs: we are each of us our own police investigator when it comes to just checking the news.

Exactly. And how many people working full time have the hours required to obtain a balanced look at the news? Add in marriage and children and I'd wager there is little time indeed to weed out the propaganda.

Cheers

posted on Jul, 16 2021 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Hi, I'm from South Africa. And actually found us outlets reporting on the issue, as well as international outlets.

What's happens is that American outlets sell news, mainstream outlets look at what's popular then they will increase articles and reporting. The undeniable truth is that the mainstream (most people) in America do not care what happens outside America. And most of those that take an interest in the subject try to apply what happens in America to the situation.

posted on Jul, 16 2021 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Sorry to say that US does not care, right now our nation have an internal struggle, is the government and big interest against the people in the nation.

I agree that is not media coverage, no interest in foreign affairs by the new administration, is like nothing outside the US is relevant this days but the darn covid virus and the pushing for shots.

Nothing else matters anymore.

posted on Jul, 16 2021 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Thank for the OP, but I have to disagree with you, I don't think it is a case of what's happening in South Africa is getting suppressed.

What's happening fits most non Africans perception of Africa... Chaos, political instability, poverty, useless government, lawlessness, the 3rd world, uncivilized etc

News media is corporate entities, they sell news to those that click the links, now behind them there is always a "narrative" (and that's the problem), but ultimately they will report any news that wants to be consumed.

To most Americans its all about "well that's Africa for you"...

They are more likely to click on the flooding in Germany, because it's "closer" to them than Africa is.

I don't think there is anything sinister at play apart from people's closed mindedness.
edit on 17-7-2021 by kykweer because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-7-2021 by kykweer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2021 @ 05:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: SleeperHasAwakened
Why the US MSM news embargo on South Africa?

What are you, utterly oblivious or something? Did you NOT notice what country you live in, or the people in it??

Most.
Foreign.
News
Does.
Not.
Sell.
Stateside.

Not because it's a newsmedia conspiracy, but because Americans are #ing ignorant idiots and don't give a # about news from abroad. An example to make the point clearer: If I really don't care about SA, why would I read about it?
THAT is the American mentality here, the root is "It's foreign, who cares", and it's not hard to see unless you're just unwilling to.

Edit: Also, it's Africa. Find me ANY average American who gives two #s what happens over there who isn't a direct immigrant to begin with.
edit on 7/17/2021 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2021 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: kykweer

Thank for the OP, but I have to disagree with you, I don't think it is a case of what's happening in South Africa is getting suppressed.

What's happening fits most non Africans perception of Africa... Chaos, political instability, poverty, useless government, lawlessness, the 3rd world, uncivilized etc

News media is corporate entities, they sell news to those that click the links, now behind them there is always a "narrative" (and that's the problem), but ultimately they will report any news that wants to be consumed.

To most Americans its all about "well that's Africa for you"...

They are more likely to click on the flooding in Germany, because it's "closer" to them than Africa is.

I don't think there is anything sinister at play apart from people's closed mindedness.

Hi, thanks for responding, and let me say I hope you and your friends/family are safe.

I appreciate your opinion on the subject, and you certainly understand the politics and terrain of SA better than I ever will. Further, I agree that there is some reporting on the situation in SA, and my original post wasn't meant to imply *all* news on SA has been completely stricken from MSM.

That said, with respect, I can tell you straight away that US MSM media does cultivate narratives that are expedient/convenient for their business concerns (which you and I agree on) as well as (and this is part that's wrong) their political allies. This is mainly Democrats in the US, as they control the majority of media outlets, but right-leaning outlets (like Fox) reciprocate and lean in the direction their political allies prefer them to.

As far as your point abut "non-African perceptions of Africa", I think you're glossing over the data I incorporated in my OP about South Africa, including its modernized economy, developed infrastructure and key industry profile even *outside* Africa, the great unis in that country, G20 membership, and on an on. Are you making the case that South Africa isn't a modern, industrialized country?

Also, I don't doubt that some Americans are "close minded", any more than some folks in other countries, but the point of this thread is that many Americans have interest in SA, due to either personal concerns/relationship or the key business components of SA (e.g. precious metal markets), and it is very odd that a G20 nation in such turmoil would not make more headlines in US news.

I'm sensing in your tone that you feel what's happening in your country isn't newsworthy to the outside world, and I find that exceedingly strange.

posted on Jul, 17 2021 @ 11:49 AM
link   
So when Africa ended apartheid much of the Black population went back to tribal mentality with warlords etc that led to constant fighting and power hunting. The Goverment has also been very corrupt at many levels. The breakup of the White farmers has pushed the country into starvation. By breaking up big farms and giving people small patches of land for themselves this not only killed jobs for a big part of the population, but food production dwindles to nothing.

So here we are, starving population, corrupt government and warlords controlling cities/areas...

posted on Jul, 17 2021 @ 01:22 PM
link   
No I think it's newsworthy, but I said that many people first world countries that have perceptions about Africa. They probably read these articles and say, "well that's Africa for you". Most people don't care though so the news media doesn't have anyone to sell the stories too.

posted on Jul, 17 2021 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: kykweer

True for many parts of Africa. In Somalia or Sudan? Sure. Not unexpected at all. Very backwards. But not South Africa. They were the shining example on that continent, showing how much they can achieve under a credible system of government, rejecting all forms of communism, the right allies, etc

South Africa was poised to skip over industrialization, and move right into the 21st century high tech industries. But of course the ne'er-do-wells' have to ruin it for everybody. We have the same issues here. Absolute garbage people taking advantage of a crisis to get something for nothing, or to do harm to those they falsely feel have somehow wronged them.

Nelson Mandela's "nominally free" South Africa may not make it

It is so shocking precisely because of how far ahead South Africa is. This isn't a third world country we're talking about here. Very scary.
edit on 7/17/2021 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns

It is so shocking precisely because of how far ahead South Africa is. This isn't a third world country we're talking about here. Very scary.

SA been in a slow death for decades. The true African population there are pretty much the same as the neighboring counties are, so once the Europe influence was removed they basically reverted back to their cultures, so it might as well be Sudan now.

posted on Jul, 31 2021 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I've been following some of this, watched this last week and found it informative, yet 2hr long :

edit on 31-7-2021 by Aliquandro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2021 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliquandro

I am wondering what is happening now. They have done a good job on censorship.

posted on Aug, 1 2021 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

Best I can guess from the limited news on it is massive food and resource shortages. The riots took out so much infrastructure, the damage has been done. Almost 300 dead and hospitals are full of injured

Hard to find anything current

posted on Aug, 1 2021 @ 12:47 PM
link   

We do have a number of members that live in SA, and I've noticed some of them have been conspicuously absent from the forums. I wish them well and hope they're doing fine.

Thanks for posting the video, will watch what I can of it, but if you had to summarize key points from it (it's 2 hours long IIUC) what would they be?

posted on Aug, 2 2021 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aliquandro
a reply to: anonentity

Best I can guess from the limited news on it is massive food and resource shortages. The riots took out so much infrastructure, the damage has been done. Almost 300 dead and hospitals are full of injured

Hard to find anything current

The damage was mostly isolated to durban, I drove through one of the hot spots in Johannesburg today and it was business as usual.

The news at the moment is the vigilantism that took place in Durban with communities protecting their neighborhoods because the police was so clueless.

Through apartheid the protests in South Africa is more like gorilla warfare, they usually have groups in various areas that spread the police to breaking point.

There were food shortages, but a lot was cause by panic buying, similar to when covid started. Currently my in laws in Durban are struggling with Municipal water, they don't have any. But other than that, even projects on the main route from durban to Johannesburg are back in business.

All that is happening now is speculation and possibly some covert warfare.

posted on Aug, 3 2021 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: SleeperHasAwakened

Thanks for posting the video, will watch what I can of it, but if you had to summarize key points from it (it's 2 hours long IIUC) what would they be?

The video is by a white SA resident who spells out how the police are not adequate, the gov is absent, the riots were targeting big box stores and resources. Many of the rioters were targeting rich white neighborhoods and residents are policing their own neighborhoods LA riot style.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join