It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why This MIT Dropout Started an Anti-College

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Just came across this video and thought it was worth sharing. This guy really is a genius of the next level if you ask me. Instead of putting students into debt, his college only makes students pay if they manage to get a job. So essentially the college can only be successful if his students get a high quality education and get employed. Apparently there are no grades or tests or traditional problem-based homework. He says it's all about building and making things like in the real world. I find it to be a very refreshing revitalization of outdated education methods and I have a feeling schools like this will become much more common in the future.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   
His closing comments don't make me feel good about the viability of this protect. Just saying.. He doesn't have faith in it then

Edit. After thought. Maybe it's a poorly produced video. As in they imply knocking at the door of your students for a job is the same as collecting residuals? I don't know. Call it semantics but I say poor choices
edit on 7-12-2015 by Sillyosaurus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   
This is something that should be all around the world.

Luckily here in Australia this is an option that our government provides through a system called vet-fee help. The government pays your course fees up front and when you earn over I think around 55-60k a year, you pay them back through only the taxes you pay but ofcourse you have the option to pay more if you want.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   
But but but....How will they filter out the poor from the wealthy?
How will they keep the poor dumbed down?
How will they keep the population in debt?

Fantastic idea

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyosaurus
His closing comments don't make me feel good about the viability of this protect. Just saying.. He doesn't have faith in it then

Lol I actually thought the same thing, but I think he's underestimating his chances of success. I think it could be a very profitable venture if done correctly and I think he'll end up very rich at the end of it. I have a feeling he wont be job hunting any time in the future.
edit on 7/12/2015 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 12:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyosaurus

Edit. After thought. Maybe it's a poorly produced video. As in they imply knocking at the door of your students for a job is the same as collecting residuals? I don't know. Call it semantics but I say poor choices

Working in both high schools and college/university (as a staff educator), I get what he is saying.
In the future, his past students may be working on something so amazing in his field. So much so that he might look to them to provide him with a job on this new amazing breakthrough that he may hope to have a job with them.
Every opportunity I get to learn from my students is amazing for me.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 10:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: justneo
This is something that should be all around the world.

Luckily here in Australia this is an option that our government provides through a system called vet-fee help. The government pays your course fees up front and when you earn over I think around 55-60k a year, you pay them back through only the taxes you pay but ofcourse you have the option to pay more if you want.

I think the UK does something like this too. When they provide loans for school, they only begin collecting after you have a job paying over a certain amount, at which point they begin taking a percentage until they're paid off.

new topics

top topics

join