It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI confirms new leads connected to DNA evidence and cellphone data in disturbing killings of elderl

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2024 @ 12:30 PM
link   

10 years ago elderly couple murdered near lake Oconee, Georgia.

Russell Dermond, 88, decapitated. His head has not been found.

Shirley Dermond, 87, brutally beaten, dumped in lake, tied to cinder blocks.

Murders appear to have happened after, 5/1/14 and before 5/3/14.

FBI has now found DNA and cell phone evidence which they suggest connects one or more people to the crime, and says the perpetrators should be nervous.

FBI confirms new leads connected to DNA evidence and cellphone data in disturbing killings of elderly couple on Lake Oconee

I was tempted to put this news story in the religious conspiracies, because it has such a John The Baptist feel to it.

edit on 6-5-2024 by ByeByeAmericanPie because: (no reason given)

Starting a New Thread ?... Look Here First.

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites;
*please post one or two paragraphs,
*a link to the entire story,
*AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on Mon May 6 2024 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2024 @ 01:50 PM
link   
It seems strange it took them 10 years to get cell phone records and analyze the DNA they found, which they haven't even completed yet.

posted on May, 6 2024 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

My guess is the matching DNA may have only recently surfaced in law enforcement databases.

Hopefully we will soon find out, and can move this case to the solved mysteries side of the ledger…

posted on May, 6 2024 @ 02:05 PM
link   

If they didn't have a suspect until recently, they wouldn't have anything to compare the DNA to or know what cell phone records to subpoena.

Like the last user theorized, the suspect's DNA probably wasn't in CODIS when the murders were originally committed.

posted on May, 6 2024 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: ByeByeAmericanPie

My guess is the matching DNA may have only recently surfaced in law enforcement databases.

Or in one of those genealogy companies' databases, it wouldn't be the first time they would find some criminal through a close family member that did one of those DNA tests.

posted on May, 6 2024 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

I was thinking the same thing.

We have an unsolved murder of an elderly couple here in my hometown, eerily around the same time frame, but I'm in MI. Still nothing in that case.

posted on May, 6 2024 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ByeByeAmericanPie

What I would do to those murdering pieces of sh*t!
Unreal so cruel, and to do this to an elderly couple

These POS would be spread out thin as melted butter accross the barren deserts in death valley

posted on May, 6 2024 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Hey amazing! The FBI solves a real crime and is close to closing the case!

They usually go after political enemies full time for the last 8 years!

Impressive FBI! /s

posted on May, 7 2024 @ 03:19 AM
link   

edit on 7-5-2024 by charlest2 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2024 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed
I think it stands for
Following
Biden's
Instructions

posted on May, 8 2024 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: rdambroso

This seems like a ritualistic death cult kind of crime. I’m guessing the motive is to send a cryptic message.

I’m guessing they chopped his head off with an ancient sword.

IMO,it was no mistake she was found with cement weighing down her soles.

Like I said in the opening post, it has a John the Baptist feel to it.

Russell born 6/6. Shirley born 7/7.

A Christian rite is my hunch…

Seeing as this case appears to be on its way to being solved, let’s see if I get proven right or wrong…
edit on 8-5-2024 by ByeByeAmericanPie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2024 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed
Hey amazing! The FBI solves a real crime and is close to closing the case!

They usually go after political enemies full time for the last 8 years!

Impressive FBI! /s

I think there are more than one side to all agencies like the FBI, CIA and DOJ. There is a side of true professionalism with a healthy mix of patriotism. That is where all the good work comes from.

posted on May, 8 2024 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP

Or in one of those genealogy companies' databases, it wouldn't be the first time they would find some criminal through a close family member that did one of those DNA tests.

That's exactly how the Golden State killer was caught.

posted on May, 9 2024 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I was just Watchung a video about the 8 year anniversary of the killings and they were talking about the same thing having new cell phone evidence and the sheriff was saying "we now know everybody who was in the area so we are checking backgrounds and finding out who didn't belong here" so I guess after 2 years they didn't figure out anything? It's weird that they are mentioning the cell phone evidence again 2 years later. Theres a good chance who ever killed them didn't even have a cell phone.

The one thing that is odd is I wonder why they tried to hide the wife's body but left the husband's body in the garage? Unless they raped the old lady and wanted to make sure there was no DNA left behind? Only thing i could think of. Supposebly the sheriff's office thinks they took the mans head because they shot him in the head and didn't want to have to get rid of their gun or get caught with it.

Edit - just watched another video from 4 months ago and it said brand new DNA evidence was found and announced to the public in May of 2023.

So that's a bit weird that this DNA evidence and cell phone evidence was previously announced and now they are announcing it again? Does the sheriff's office keep doing this so it sounds like they are still busy working on the case? Or are they just trying to play mind games with the killer?
edit on 9-5-2024 by TheMisguidedAngel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2024 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Hopefully we will soon find out, and can move this case to the solved mysteries side of the ledger…

They haven't matched DNA to anybody yet. They found trace amounts of DNA on the husband's shirt that doesn't match him or his wife. It could be something but maybe it's not. I have also found this "new" DNA evidence isn't so new, they also announced the DNA being found in 2023 as well and the new cell phone evidence is they supposedly know everyone who was in the area over the several days that the murders could have taken place. This "new" cell phone evidence was first announced at least 2 years ago from the research I've done so it doesn't sound like anything has come from that so far. The cell phone data doesn't mean anything if the killer didn't have a cell phone or if he turned it off in advance to arriving in the area.

Most criminals know about cell phone evidence nowadays and they don't bring their phones or turn them off/take battery out if they know they are going to commit a crime.

posted on May, 9 2024 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: TheMisguidedAngel

It sounds like they found a more promising match in recent days, this quote from a 5/2/24 story.

Smith said in recent days, the lab experts have been trying to find enough DNA to look for a match through the CODIA database of DNA from thousands of convicted felons and certain other folks, and also for newer, genealogy-based testing. He says depending on the answer, investigators may evaluate whether to go with the technology available now or new technology that may be available in say a couple years.

www.wsbtv.com...

But indicate substantial delay.

top topics

join