It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One year ago today

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2022 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: theatreboy

CONGRATS!!!

I know your life has become more manageable without drink.
Best Wishes for your continued success!

posted on Mar, 30 2022 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: tamusan

CONGRATS!
and Best Wishes
to you as well.

posted on Mar, 30 2022 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Congratulations buddy. A great accomplishment!

I fell into the dark damp hole of alcohol addiction, for a number of years, 3 or 4. And know how hard it is to get sober. I had several lapses and a couple relapses on my journey to sobriety. I will be 3 years sober on June 10.

I know alcoholics who, after many years of sobriety that drink from time to time without losing control. And sometimes, especially on a hot day after a hard day's work a cold beer sounds inviting, but I am just not sure of myself. Too afraid I might fall back into the hole if I take a drink. So I just avoid it altogether. Although I may be able to control it now? I am just not willing to find out.

ETA:

Just wanted to add this. i don't know how to explain it so hopefully you'll understand. I was at the movie theater with my wife when The Greatest Showman came out, to watch it. And this song just got into my soul. It helped motivate me to solidify my decision to stop drinking. For some reason the lyrics resonated in me. And I would listen to it and sing it to myself to remind myself: what's waited till tomorrow starts tonight. Maybe it was the happy feeling I felt being at the theater with my wife, and knowing all the damage I was doing being drunk all the time and wanting to change? Maybe it was the part about it being time to change my life, probably a little of both. Here it is (I know it's ironic because they're in a tavern and drinking while they sing the song):

edit on 30-3-2022 by randomuser because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2022 @ 12:56 PM
link   
The steady river carves out the rock.

You show strong mental will with the temptation around, respect!

Wish you a great day too

posted on Mar, 30 2022 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: tamusan

Congrats!

It's been a little over a year of sobriety for me as well.

Congratulations to you too.

posted on Mar, 30 2022 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: tamusan
Almost missed your post.

The same goes to you, a great achievement you can be very proud about.

posted on Mar, 30 2022 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Congratulations on your achievement and I wish for you many more anniversaries!

I don't know how close I was to being/becoming an alcoholic when I was in my teens. We always had alcohol in the house and we had wine (watered down for me) with our meals, even when I was a child. I'm not blaming my parents because by no means were they heavy drinkers.

I ended up growing up in the UK and with my mates the only thing we did was go to the pub 4 or 5 days a week. I was working from the age of 16, so money wasn't an issue.

Over time, my life-cycle became, home - work - pub liquid lunch - work - pub after work - home. Pub nights consisted of 10 pint and shorts marathons. The pub rest days I would down a bottle of the cheapest vodka-gin-whiskey I could find. I usually left a few drams for breakfast. I know it was a destructive lifestyle, but it felt normal at the time.

One day, I met up with my parents,who were living in a different country, and my mother said I looked yellow. I realised my liver was working more overtime than I was. She didn't know how much I drank, so, in her ignorance, she gave me a bottle of Fernet-Branca for medicinal purpose (see below for info). Well, that stopped me wanting vast quantities of hard liquor, even if that bitter is 45% by volume. It was something I could sip rather than gulp.

At the time I hadn't thought of seeking help, but two things happened that forced me to cut down drastically on booze. One, I got serious about pool/snooker. It took my mind off the booze. Secondly, I got a car and my love for driving and to safeguard my license sobered me up.

I never really stopped drinking, but somehow I was able to go back to "normal" drinking. Perhaps I was not yet over-the-edge, dependency-wise.

Again, all the best for your sobriety! You are stronger than I ever was. For me it was fortuitous timing of events and... Fernet-Branca.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

Fernet is an Italian type of amaro, a bitter, aromatic spirit. Fernet is made from a number of herbs and spices which vary according to the brand, but usually include myrrh, rhubarb, chamomile, cardamom, aloe, and especially saffron, with a base of distilled grape spirits.

edit on 30/3/2022 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2022 @ 05:37 PM
link   

35 years for me and life is much better sober . Hang tough my friend , it is worth it

posted on Mar, 30 2022 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Thank you. Bless ya right back!✌️

posted on Mar, 31 2022 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Congrats on the milestone! You should be proud of yourself

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join