It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Great War To End All Wars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2024 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Hi all

Wen I was at school "Many Years Ago" I went on a WW1 trip to Belgium (about 1990).
At the time I chose history as my subject and it started with WW1.
I was about 15 years old and we were learning how THE GREAT WAR TO END ALL WARS started.

I found it confusing back then and still do now, but a bit more understanding of the confusion LOL.
The school trip was about 15 of us in the bus and we drove onto the ferry from Dover to Calais and then a bit of traveling.
I remember it being rough and windy and it was scary to go outside.
It got calm wen we docked at calais.

Then it was a few hour drive, if I remember correctly and we arrived at the hotel and unpacked.
First visit was a museum with lots of artifacts.
my history teacher warned us not buy any deactivated grenades or pistols because they were getting dug up all over.
I remember the buildings were beautiful.

Next visit from the museum..was an hour or so drive into the middle of nowhere
fields everywhere.
Teacher said "the farmer has just ploughed the field and you might find some stuff".
Im PMSL thinking about it.
I did find a couple of things, like bits of shrapnel and rusty barbed wire
I also found a mouth piece for a smokers pipe, I wonder who it belonged to.

Next visit was strange.
It was slightly hilly and long grass.
On the side at the edge was a small dry stone wall and next to it was unexplded bombs.
Some were small about the the size of 2 hands.
There was 2 that were twice the size of an average man.

The farmers come across them wen ploughing their fields and put them to the side.
The local army back then would pick them up about a week later,it was common.
I picked up a Mills grenade with a rusty pin still in it whilst loitering at the back.
I put it in my pocket then SHEEET myself because my head said dont be silly.
I put it back down.

Next visit was overgrown trenches and I spotted what could have been a shooting spot.
I dug my fingers into the soil underneath it and dug out 4 spent .303 rounds.

Did You know that Belgian farmers die on average of about 7 per year from ploughing
unexploded ordinance.

theworld.org...

Ive watched an old WW1 film earlier that ive not seen in years..

Paths Of Glory

Bit of A lump in my throat over that scene.

What a horrible world this is.
it seems to be never ending.

I liked a me members quote that made me laugh.
" I cant wait to get rid of this 2000 year headache)

Brunch time
cheers
uncle D

posted on May, 16 2024 @ 05:51 AM
link   
a reply to: alwaysbeenhere2

It did end all wars, but only for the dead. The living keep jumping back in all the time. And now we have so much better bombs.

edit on 2024-05-16T05:53:37-05:0005Thu, 16 May 2024 05:53:37 -050005am00000031 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2024 @ 06:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

It did end all wars, but only for the dead. The living keep jumping back in all the time. And now we have so much better bombs.

It was a silly war

A war to keep all wars going.
edit on amThursday4am2402bAmerica/ChicagoAmerica/Chicago5 by alwaysbeenhere2 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2024 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Interesting story, I enjoyed reading it. S&F

posted on May, 16 2024 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Good field trip memory. I've always been interested in history and would like to visit a lot of places in Europe. World War I would be interesting. I really want to go visit Italy and a lot of their ancient Roman ruins first if I ever get the opportunity.

edit on Thu, 16 May 2024 09:34:36 -0500am51620240500000036America/ChicagoThu, 16 May 2024 09:34:36 -0500 by randomuser2034 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2024 @ 09:29 AM
link   
There are a lot of struggles dealing with nature. Can suck real bad at times. There is something in this rhythm of life looking for a better way. Catch its wake if you find it.

posted on May, 16 2024 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Here, fixed your Youtube link...

posted on May, 16 2024 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Did You know that Belgian farmers die on average of about 7 per year from ploughing

This is an impossibly large number. After World War II, the shells in the fields were cleared out within 20 years; there were explosions only in forested areas.

posted on May, 16 2024 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Encia22
Thank you

new topics

top topics

join