It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I "lost" a manuscript.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2024 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I was 35k words into a manuscript I didnt want to continue writing at the time (2017). Should be in my google drive account yeah?,not in any I have access to, no file history of it, its gone. Did I really write it?, was it all in my head?. Ive had ebooks and other PDFs disappear before, one of them Valee's Messengers of Deception for some reason no longer existed on any of my devices, but this was something I wrote myself andI cant rewrite it, it doesnt work like that, or it doess?

fkn annoyed.

posted on May, 8 2024 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: BeTheGoddess2

Mistake 1, you trusted cloud storage.

Mistake 2, you only had one copy.

Did you learn from this?

Cloud storage is convenient but you should still always have a couple of external hard drives or thumb drives you keep copies on for backup.

posted on May, 8 2024 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Same kinda thing happened to me a while ago. I was working on a fictional magazine in an online PDF program.
I saved the file as I went along and went back to it a few months later.
I couldn't find it on my computer anywhere and had given up hope.
I was browsing my bookmarks online one day recently and there it was.
I held my breath......click......THERE!
It was saved online in the programs files, not on google drive or locally on my PC.
Glad I hadn't cleared all my cookies and other files in the interim and I must remember to remember where I save things.
There are so many options these days it's overkill.

Are you sure of the location you saved it to?

posted on May, 8 2024 @ 01:15 PM
link   

I'm sorry to hear that, BeTheGoddess2.

It would seem strange that Google removed personal files from your accounts. However, they did do a purge of dormant accounts around the end of last year; accounts that had been inactive for 2+ years.

This shows how important backing up one's important files is. Having said that, you wrote the story once, so you can do it again, and maybe even better than before. Starting with a clean slate can often liberate one's creativity.

Good luck with it!

posted on May, 8 2024 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I hope you find it. If you don't just rewrite it. The second draft is usually better anyway.

posted on May, 8 2024 @ 06:00 PM
link   
It sounds as if it's probably there but the device you used to find it isn't synchronised and therefore it won't show.
I am sure it's somewhere as things don't really get lost once saved.

Have you tried looking for it with a different device?

Just an idea. Again, don't give up, it is somewhere and therefore retreivable. I guess. I'm no expert.
Maybe if you give more details, we can all figure it out.

posted on May, 8 2024 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Funny thing about cloud documents, they're not yours anymore because you gave them to someone else to hold onto...

In a year you might find your story reimagined as a two season "netflix original" tv series, and there's nothing you can really do about it at this point.

posted on May, 8 2024 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: BeyondKnowledge3

I had more than one copy, which is why its so annoying, like there are a few different versions on a coulle of different accounts.

posted on May, 8 2024 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: nerbot

I have yet to check on my tablet, but that was the device the VAllee book disapeared from, even weirder was my copy of the western australian criinal code compolation act also vanished, and that was the reason I got the tablet in the first place.

I'm hoping I find it or even part of it...

posted on May, 8 2024 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

Its non-fiction so not really able to rewrite it better, even if I got the bibliography its not going to be easy...

posted on May, 8 2024 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

More details is its about a pretty major environmental crime that the gov has said "not my problem" because of the level of corruption here. Activists have been harrased, silenced, defamed, or made too scared to talk.

Another issue is everyone I have shared copies to no longer speaks to me, and this does relate. They have been "scared off" by an org that holds a lot of power here.

posted on May, 8 2024 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
Funny thing about cloud documents, they're not yours anymore because you gave them to someone else to hold onto...

In a year you might find your story reimagined as a two season "netflix original" tv series, and there's nothing you can really do about it at this point.

It will be twisted into how these evil activists are destroying the plans of the totally wonderful government and struggling billionare property developers.

posted on May, 9 2024 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Write your really important stuff, on A4 PAPER rolled in a typewriter, and use that little white bottle thingie, filled with whitish eraser-stuff, to erase unwanted text parts, and re-type new text, on that white stuff now overlaying the wrong stuff.

Then, you can always photocopy that text to a digital medium, and your important text is for sure not lost in some dark part of the WWW, because it is still in YOUR possession.!

LT
edit on 9-5-2024 by LaBTopOld because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2024 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Try 1:

LT

LT and

So it does not write the backward-slash, nor the forwardslash, when previewed.
I see just the letters L, and, T
LT

LT and

posted on May, 9 2024 @ 01:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: LaBTopOld
Write your really important stuff, on A4 PAPER rolled in a typewriter, and use that little white bottle thingie, filled with whitish eraser-stuff, to erase unwanted text parts, and re-type new text, on that white stuff now overlaying the wrong stuff.

Then, you can always photocopy that text to a digital medium, and your important text is for sure not lost in some dark part of the WWW, because it is still in YOUR possession.!

LT

#ed thing is some of it was transcribed from my handwritten material that no longer exist. As for the typewriter, really? Im not William Burroughs, but I can show you my William Tell impersonation.

posted on May, 9 2024 @ 01:34 AM
link   
We will know around 4 days before, or 4 days after the 24th of this May, if the mysterious Owner of this famous former ATS website, in reality, is sill here, and preserving all these posters their wonderful thoughts, written in thousands of memorable texts.

LT

posted on May, 9 2024 @ 01:36 AM
link   
You must have had more copies.a reply to: BeTheGoddess2

posted on May, 9 2024 @ 05:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Raj54

I did, had version control, all versions are gone. Im more wanting the bibliography than the entire text.

posted on May, 9 2024 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Never give your stuff to anybody let alone a cloud!! $35 ext 1g T drive. Buy them anywhere, price, size. Always save your stuff and toss it in your drawer.

Never give anything important...or otherwise ...to anyone or site to "keep safe". Oxymoron word there.

Good luck.

PS? I have 70+ blogs/Google....gone a bit.....but still screenshots avail from the old blogs at Google Blogger

Published Author
edit on 05240731America/ChicagoThu, 09 May 2024 10:27:07 -050027202400000007 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 05:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: BeTheGoddess2
a reply to: Hecate666

More details is its about a pretty major environmental crime that the gov has said "not my problem" because of the level of corruption here. Activists have been harrased, silenced, defamed, or made too scared to talk.

Another issue is everyone I have shared copies to no longer speaks to me, and this does relate. They have been "scared off" by an org that holds a lot of power here.

Oh sorry, there I was stupidly thinking of rational solitions for an IT problem.
Forget what I said. You obviously don't really want your stuff back.
Why not say this in your OP?
Yeah, they took your writings, because you are onto something and all your friends are so amazed, they won't talk to you again.

Or, like me, they keep away because you may be paranoid, delusional and can't have two sided discussions with you.
I don't like being played either.
All the best.

new topics

top topics

join