It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian parliament calls for Return of Julian Assange

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2024 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Australia's parliament has voted for a motion that calls for the return of Julian Assange to Australia , the motion was passed with a majority of 86 votes for - 42 votes against , Prime Minister Anthony Albanese who himself voted for the motion said he hoped the case could be "resolved amicably" and that he has been urging the US to drop the extradition request.

As part of the attempt to bring Julian home Australia's attorney-general Mark Dreyfus has held talks with his US counterpart Merrick Garland in Washington.

Mr Albanese has been urging the US to drop the extradition request and told the Australian parliament ahead of Assange's appeal: "I hope it can be resolved amicably.

"It's not up to Australia to interfere in the legal processes of other countries, but it is appropriate for us to put our very strong view that those countries need to take into account the need for this to be concluded."

Australia's attorney-general Mark Dreyfus said Assange's extradition was raised in a meeting with his US counterpart Merrick Garland in Washington last month.

"This was a private discussion, however this government's position on Assange is very clear, and has not changed," he said in a statement.

"It is time this matter is brought to an end."
news.sky.com...

How can we condemn others for holding political prisoners when we ourselves are doing it.

posted on Feb, 15 2024 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex
It's a pointless vote in my opinion, it's in the hands of the courts now (UK/US) and Britain seems happy to go with whatever the US dictates, so Assange is still toast once the process finishes.

The Australian parliament could all go on hunger strike and it would have zero influence on the legislative process.
This is a non story as far as I see it now for Assange.

posted on Feb, 15 2024 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: AdultMaleHumanUK

An official show of support for Assange from his home government is something that should have happened long ago but is still welcome , diplomatic talks with the US over his case are especially welcome , I think at least one Belmarsh resident will be happy with the intervention.

posted on Feb, 15 2024 @ 06:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
Australia's parliament has voted for a motion that calls for the return of Julian Assange to Australia , the motion was passed with a majority of 86 votes for - 42 votes against , Prime Minister Anthony Albanese who himself voted for the motion said he hoped the case could be "resolved amicably" and that he has been urging the US to drop the extradition request.

As part of the attempt to bring Julian home Australia's attorney-general Mark Dreyfus has held talks with his US counterpart Merrick Garland in Washington.

Mr Albanese has been urging the US to drop the extradition request and told the Australian parliament ahead of Assange's appeal: "I hope it can be resolved amicably.

"It's not up to Australia to interfere in the legal processes of other countries, but it is appropriate for us to put our very strong view that those countries need to take into account the need for this to be concluded."

Australia's attorney-general Mark Dreyfus said Assange's extradition was raised in a meeting with his US counterpart Merrick Garland in Washington last month.

"This was a private discussion, however this government's position on Assange is very clear, and has not changed," he said in a statement.

"It is time this matter is brought to an end."
news.sky.com...

How can we condemn others for holding political prisoners when we ourselves are doing it.

It's truly unbelievable the way he has been treated and I think he has a lot of sympathy from most of the world.

Australia did the right thing in my opinion but if they want Julian Assange back they need to employ drastic action.

What I mean is that Australia with their power as a State, their intelligent officers and diplomats + their special forces, should draw a plan to deceive the British Authorities and 'abduct' him from the prison he is currently confined bringing him back to Australia and save him as he is likely to die in prison. He is probably going to spend the rest of his life in prison.

That's what I think.

edit on 15-2-2024 by Venkuish1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2024 @ 07:09 AM
link   
But the vote is completely irrelevant to the current legal process Assange is in.
Sure, it's a socially and politically acceptable way to express the opinions of Australian MP's...but it's as pointless and irrelevant to the legal process, as say, millions of British citizens protesting outside Belmarsh - Australia can do # all to actually influence the courts judgement, so pointless, but good for virtue signalling if nothing else.

posted on Feb, 15 2024 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: AdultMaleHumanUK
But the vote is completely irrelevant to the current legal process Assange is in.
Sure, it's a socially and politically acceptable way to express the opinions of Australian MP's...but it's as pointless and irrelevant to the legal process, as say, millions of British citizens protesting outside Belmarsh - Australia can do # all to actually influence the courts judgement, so pointless, but good for virtue signalling if nothing else.

It's a vote showing support for Assange and I think he does need it at this stage just as he needs to know that many are on his side.

See the solution I have offered above and tell me if you agree or think it's not possible. I think it is possible and the only solution if the legal route fails.

posted on Feb, 15 2024 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Venkuish1
Lol I don't think Australia would get away with busting him out of a British jail!šŸ˜‚

I don't even imagine for a minute that they would try such a thing....be more likely that the US would kill him on British territory than Oz busting him out!šŸ¤£

posted on Feb, 15 2024 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Thereā€™s a better chance of the UK court sentencing him to hard labour in the colonies and sending him to Tasmania than Australia sending the A team

to go perform a jailbreak.

reply to: AdultMaleHumanUK

posted on Feb, 15 2024 @ 10:59 AM
link   

What crime has he committed again I forget?

posted on Feb, 15 2024 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: AllisVibration

What crime has he committed again I forget?

The 'crime' of exposing the wrongdoing of various countries. Whistleblowing I think it's called.

posted on Feb, 15 2024 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: AllisVibration

He provided a platform for others to expose not cool things.
Since he was the top dog of the site he is taking the brunt because....well someone has to.
That is a breakdown without getting into the right and wrong of it.

posted on Feb, 15 2024 @ 11:25 AM
link   

It's a pointless vote in my opinion, it's in the hands of the courts now (UK/US) and Britain seems happy to go with whatever the US dictates, so Assange is still toast once the process finishes.

The Australian parliament could all go on hunger strike and it would have zero influence on the legislative process.

That is all true, and it's because Assange made it possible for people to expose criminal corruption in the USA's politicians, military, and other corrupt authorities and agencies. Hillary Clinton was even named by our own intelligence services of being a grave domestic threat to national security, and Assange exposed her and the money laundering enterprise known as the Clinton Foundation on many occasions, including her connection to the criminal elements of the DNC and the death and murder of Seth Rich.

A very wide network of criminally corrupt people are attached to Assange's expose's of the democrats and Hillary Clinton, including many US officials, also can't forget Obama and Eric Holder, and so many others.

Getting Assange included spamming the MSM with constant propaganda painting Assange in a poor light, calling their own corruption exposed as an act of espionage on the part of Assange.

These people who did this must all eventually be burned.

posted on Feb, 15 2024 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: AllisVibration
I've no idea, you'd have to ask the government of the USA what alleged specific crime he's committed, they're the ones who want him on their soilšŸ‘

posted on Feb, 15 2024 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed
Agreed, but the people who are pissed off with Assange certainly don't give a # what some Australian MP's vote to condemn.
I'm surprised he's actually stayed alive this long in British custody!šŸ˜±

posted on Feb, 15 2024 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundya4k

He provided a platform for others to expose not cool things.

Yeah not cool things, such as war crimes the US military classified and tried to cover up. I remember now, how could I forget? That helicopter gunship killing unarmed journalists and civilians in cold blood.

posted on Feb, 15 2024 @ 01:11 PM
link   

I seem to remember they want him for espionage, otherwise known as journalism in non banana republics.

I'm surprised he's actually stayed alive this long in British custody!

Killing him would just make a martyr of him at this point despite killery clintons wishes. Unlike Daphne Galizia who was blown up in a car bomb for researching and releasing the Panama/Paradise Papers to the press.

posted on Feb, 15 2024 @ 09:52 PM
link   
He is a true freedom loving truth teller in my mind. The media has treated him as the enemy. I guess they don't like their narrative being exposed as bunk. Our CIA and your MI6 maybe the same cabal members.

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 04:48 AM
link   

edit on 2/16/2024 by yeahright because: Mod edit for Spam

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 06:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Justoneman

Our CIA and your MI6 maybe the same cabal members.

Absolutely, not maybe!!
It's exactly why I think this 'outrage vote' by Australian MP's is virtue signalling at best...their 'real' bosses ain't told them yet that the Assange 'problem' is bigger than mere national governments.

The US is the leader of the gang after him, Britain is only going through the motions of giving him an extradition 'hearing' etc, to appear like the course of justice has been served.

He's toast once the US marshalls get their man...and there's # all that's gonna change that, even if Australian MP's burn their bra's and go on hunger strike.
...makes them look good to their constituency though for votes, I guess!šŸ«£

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 08:11 AM
link   

a reply to: Justoneman

Our CIA and your MI6 maybe the same cabal members.

Absolutely, not maybe!!
It's exactly why I think this 'outrage vote' by Australian MP's is virtue signalling at best...their 'real' bosses ain't told them yet that the Assange 'problem' is bigger than mere national governments.

The US is the leader of the gang after him, Britain is only going through the motions of giving him an extradition 'hearing' etc, to appear like the course of justice has been served.

He's toast once the US marshalls get their man...and there's # all that's gonna change that, even if Australian MP's burn their bra's and go on hunger strike.
...makes them look good to their constituency though for votes, I guess!šŸ«£

The US is no longer "by the people" a the moment. We have been taken over from within by criminals who are selling us out to the Cabal. I hope the whole world keeps up the pressure on their governments and the USA can shake these evil POS off. Trump, I didn't want to say originally, he and the White Hat brigade needs to be what is really happening or else it is curtains for freedoms and forced nastiness on little children gets an "a ok" from them.

new topics

top topics

join